Young Writers Society

JulNoWriMo - Until Next Year!

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:37 am
View Likes
Vanadis says...

I've decided 20k for this month, as well as making four in-depth character profiles.

I'd go for 50k or whatever, but schtuff came up.

First, I don't move into the house for two more days, and don't have internet that often. Also, my shipment of things from my old house and my husband's old house should come this month.

Then, I have to get a new ID, a new driver's license, and a new debit card, since I lost those snorkeling on Saturday. Woot. But the first two involve going somewhere and sitting there for a while waiting for them. I feel like a dummy, but apparently losing your identification is a common occurrence on the island. Yay. I'll shut up now.

Good luck!
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:42 pm
Kibble says...

Hey everyone! My latest update: 1966 words. I've broadened to include other stuff, not just my novel, in the count. Might write 34 words, just for the oh-yeah-2K factor.

Good luck to everyone else!
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
austenite says...

I've done 5500!! I'm stoked after starting a new story. Went out into the garden as planned today and wrote 1000+, going to do a lot more today hopefully.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:34 pm
Tenyo says...

Let's see. Two weeks until I go on holiday, 45,000 words to go. 23,000 in a week, approximately 3500 per day. 2000 words per hour, two hours a day, if I plan the rest whilst working or some other useless task. I can even stretch it to three hours per day if I want to take it easy. An hour in the morning, afternoon and evening should avoid burnout and keep the ideas and inspirations.

See, it all works in theory. If it actually worked in practice, I wouldn't be trying to reassure myself by typing all this into the JulNo thread, instead of working on my novel.

Okay, I'm done.
We were born to be amazing.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm
Wariofart says...

Wow, it's great to hear about all your JulNo adventures!

For me, I'm failing a bit. Today I should have about 4000 words, but I only have 2700. So I've decided no more messing around: I'm going all out today! Page war with myself, WriteorDie, whatever it takes. I'm going to catch up and (hopefully) get ahead for the week.

To the person asking about peoples stories ideas, I think I posted mine on the first page. Or you could read my first chapter of it here, if you feel so inclined.

Has anyone else posted their JulNo's here on YWS? I'd love to see everyones different styles!
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:54 pm
ultraviolet says...

Hi! So I've done about 1,500 words, which isn't too bad considering I'm going for 20,000. I've posted the first chapter on here. Anti Amnesia - Chapter 1.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

57 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 am
Wariofart says...

Hey ultraviolet, loved the story! I wrote a short review for you, keep up the good work!
And again"

262 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:06 am
ultraviolet says...

Thanks, Wario. :) Glad you like it. And believe me, I do have an epic plot planned out. (At least I think it's epic.)

I'll check back later when I have more to tell. Bye. :)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 am
Masquerade says...

Well this is turning out to be a little harder than I expected. I'm kind of being weird with my novel. Half of it is on my computer and half of it is in a notebook, and I'm not writing it in any particular order, so I'm not really sure where I'm at. I'm just going to write as much as possible, and hope that I reach my goal. I'm also going to be super busy next week, so I'll probably get zip writing done. Arghhh. :pirate2: Well anyways, off to write!
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 am
Kibble says...

Keep going Masquerade. At least writing by hand, you have something to copy from to write up the words. There's also some way you can calculate your average number of words per page, then multiply, so you can estimate how many words you've handwritten.

Including my other writing, I've done 2411... I should have almost 13K by now. I think I need to do at least 5K today or I will get irreversibly behind. According to my calculator, I've done 3-4% of 5K already.

ETA: 706 words -- 14.12% now! Aargh this is the worst thing I have ever written. Might have to do a short story to keep myself sane now... :P

ETA: Including Novel and Other, I've now written 4449 words. So I'm just over 34% of the way to where I should be today (12901), ~31% of the way to where I should be by the end of tomorrow (14517). Oh, and of course, 8.9% of my way to a wrimo (50000). In 25.8% of the month, mind you. I think all this number-crunching is a side-effect of Maths homework. :P
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

262 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:17 pm
ultraviolet says...

YOU CAN DO IT!

OK, now that I'm done with my moral supporting ( :P ) I'll get to myself. I THINK I'm between 2,500 and 3,000 words. But, really, I have no clue. Something messed up on my computer, and now the cord won't charge it, so I have no battery. So I'm on my brother's computer writing stuff up, and I have no idea how much on either. I don't remember on mine, and this one... I did write or die to force me to write, so I wrote a bunch of crap and am in the process of fixing it. (Not FIXING fixing it. You can let out your breathes.) Basically I just wrote the bones of the story; dialogue, what I need to get from a to b. Now I'm filling it in with descriptions and thoughts and stuff.

It probably doesn't help that I leave for camp Sunday, and am staying there till the next Saturday. All I can say is, it's a good thing that I have a mostly empty notebook, or my goal will NEVER be made. (I'm pretty skeptical as it is, but being my first I'm not like OMG OMG OMG!!! I'm kind of like, I'm going to try, but I'm not going to miss hanging with my friends for this. But don't worry. I only see them a couple times a week. We kind of have transportation issues.)

Anyways, now I'm just rambling. So now it's your turn, whoever the heck you are. RAMBLE AWAY!

~asofterworld.com

57 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:54 pm
Wariofart says...

Okay, since I'm spot on my word count so far, I'll be people's moral support:

Masquerade: WRITE WRITE WRITE! You should be soo busy writing you'll never even see this message! Go, go, go! Do you want me to take back your elephant?! Moveee! :D

And you could always just count the words on one description filled page, and one dialogue filled page, then use those numbers for everything. That could save time typing it up. For example, if you have 250 words on the description one, 175 on the dialogue, you can just count how many pages of each kind you have and multiply. And if some pages seem equal dialogue and description, do the median of them.

Kibble: The best thing for you to do is stop worrying about the numbers, and just write. Tell your parents, friends, imaginary friend, anyone who can distract you that you need to be alone for like 5 hrs today. Then x out all your windows (yes, even this one! DO IT NOW!!), and let the words come. If wordcount is distracting you, try using WordPad on Windows (under accessories) since that doesn't show that. I think there is a way to make word count on Word disappear too, but you'd have to google that (then x out all windows!!). Now GO,GO,GO!

ultraviolet: Go, go, go! wariofart believes in you!!! (lol) It's good that you're adding fluff, add more fluff. Fluff it up. Mindlessly long dialogue can always be edited out in August. Write now, write! You can do this.

So there's my moral support rant. Everyone here will do great, just make sure you are focused on the prize. Eliminate distractions. Believe in yourself. Fluff is good. And if you need someone to help you bang out your plot, give me a PM. Don't know how good I'll be, but maybe talking to someone will give you some ideas. But most importantly...

(forget that studios part. I meant, Just Write!)
And again"

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:32 pm
austenite says...

So pretty....

Okay so I'm stuck at 8088 words. By the 10th I had wanted to make 15000 words, but I don't know how this is going to go, because work has been hell this week and I've just been informed by my doctor that I have a viral infection in my lungs.

And to top it off, my characters have gone on strike with my plot.

*head desk*
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

262 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:49 pm
ultraviolet says...

*pats austenite's head comfortingly* Poor, poor austenite. Here, want a cookie? *gives cookie*

~asofterworld.com

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Just passed 10K! I'm still behind, but I'm getting there. It's a gradual process. XD I'm hoping that while we're on vacation, I'll get the chance to write some stuff down and type it up when we get home, but I'll have to see.

*hugs and love for everyone else who is behind and struggling* You guys can do it! We're all going to finish this up, and it's going to be amazing! Never doubt yourselves! Write, write, write! :smt024 :smt040 :smt041 :smt035 :smt024 :smt023

Has anyone else posted their JulNo's here on YWS? I'd love to see everyones different styles!

I have the first two chapters of mine from last year. They're really stupidly long, though, so you probably don't want to read them. XDD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault