z

Young Writers Society

JulNoWriMo - Until Next Year!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm
austenite says...

Nom nom nom!! Thanks ultra :D
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:20 pm
ultraviolet says...

No prob. Anytime. :)
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:52 am
Kibble says...

Okay, I've done the unthinkable and restarted with a new idea. Crazy? Probably. It seems to be working okay; I hadn't done much anyway, so I'm not much further behind than I was before.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:41 am
Tenyo says...

Come on guys, you can do it!

Just for anyone who is still going, Jaz and Rosey have set up a competition to write as much as you can in ten days. If you've written more than a thousand words then it may be worth entering.

post736808.html#p736808
We were born to be amazing.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:56 pm
Wariofart says...

Tenyo wrote:Come on guys, you can do it!
Just for anyone who is still going, Jaz and Rosey have set up a competition to write as much as you can in ten days. If you've written more than a thousand words then it may be worth entering.
post736808.html#p736808

I would, except that it would all be reviewed. That means I would have to post it all. NOOOOOO!!

Anyway, it come my time to rant. I haven't written ANYTHING since Wednesday. I'm about 3000 words behind, and the motivation is just gone for me.I'm hoping to have a little WriDay today and get back on track, but I don't know. I don't know what's going to happen next in my plot, and should really do a lot more backstory planning. Sorry for being whiny, just had to get that off my chest. Today is Saturday, I have nothing to do. Let's see if I can get back into this thing.. :?
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

31 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:09 pm
austenite says...

C'mon Wario!!! *cheers* You can do it!!

Haha it's exactly the same type of thing that I'm thinking as well. Is it worth carrying on?
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Oscar Wilde

262 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:49 pm
ultraviolet says...

Just keep writing! Just keep writing! Just keep writing, writing, writing! *to the tune of "just keep swimming*

Anyways, I entered that contest. My entry's due today, so I'm rushing to finish my next chapter.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

560 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 pm
Tenyo says...

My best advice for when you've fallen behind is to re-calculate your word count and take it a day at a time. So if you're 3000 words behind, add 300 onto your daily target. Then after ten days you'll be back on track.

Reminding yourself that you're still behind each day is really discouraging, and makes the load seem even harder. This way you can still say you're on track as long as you meet your daily word count target, and anything over is a bonus that you can add onto the days you fall short.

560 Reviews

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 am
Tenyo says...

Just to contradict that post above: I'm going to cut short.

There's no way I'm going to finish this before I go on holiday, so I'm going to reset to 30,000. At least then it'll be a mini success instead of a total carcrash :p

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm
Wariofart says...

lol Tenyo. I've decided that I have too much to do, and can't try and do it all each day (online course, writing, work, etc).

So today, I'm only going to work on finishing the on-line course a day early.
Then, tomorrow I can have a WriDay with NO distractions, and hopefully write 3000-5000 words ('m 5000 words behind so far)
Then Friday I'm going to split my time (sigh) between studying for the final exam and writing.
Saturday, on-line course.
Sunday, WriDay.
Then the rest of the month should be slightly easier, as I don't have to do that stupid on-line course anymore.
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

560 Reviews

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:37 pm
Tenyo says...

I am also 5000 words behind. Come on, we can do it!

*Edit to avoid double posting*

Two of my characters ran off into the romance section for a few chapters, a situation which would be contradictory and quite destructive to the plot, and won't be included in the full novel. So I wrote it out anyway.

Would it be cheating to add it to my overall word count?

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 pm
Mysty says...

I'm doing JulNo :D I'm... not TECHNICALLY a day behind, but I haven't done my writing for today. I'll probably get to it this evening. I hope.

31 Reviews

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:53 pm
austenite says...

Okay, so as of today I've quit JulNo. Why now you may ask? Well,

a) I was getting nowhere on any story I was writing.
b) I was sick last week.
c) The UK taxation department has decided to ruin my life.

So no JulNo for me this year.

Go strong guys, I'll be your moral support still!
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Oscar Wilde

262 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:09 am
ultraviolet says...

Just got back from camp. And I didn't get any writing done while I was there. So, basically, any hope that I had of making my wordcount is gone. I'll still try for my 20,000 words (I know, I'm not as motivated as most of you) but not too hopeful. Any one have any actually helpful tips for shutting off the inner editor, because that's my problem. And just saying that in JulNo it doesn't have to be edited and can be absolute crap doesn't really help me. -sigh-

~asofterworld.com

560 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:11 pm
Tenyo says...

Change of plan!

I reached my 30,000 words (even though five thousand are part of a fanfiction of my own julno) and I've got a week before I go away. I'm upping my target to 40,000.

Ultraviolet: Google Write-or-die. It's a vicious way to get words on a page, but it works. You could set yourself a target of 500 words in twenty minutes, reward yourself with ten minutes of jumping around or acting childish, then do another twenty minutes. Do that once in the afternoon and once before bed, and you have 2000 words per day.

Also, do a warmup. Free write for fifteen minutes on absolute nonesense, like, how much you wish you could reach your word count, or why you eat that particular cereal in the morning. It's the best way to get your brain used to reeling out words instead of carefully balancing sentences on top of eachother. I find it gives quite a rush once you get into it.

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria