z

Young Writers Society

JulNoWriMo - Until Next Year!

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:08 am
Masquerade says...

Okay, so I'm done with my busyness of last week, and, like I suspected, I hardly got any writing done. I literally wrote a page in a spiral notebook. Maha. Oops. Ahh well, I had fun anyways. So, back to writing!
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:52 am
Wariofart says...

Haha, aren't we disfunctional? I'm on the verge of quitting JulNo actually. I know, I know. I'm not actually going to quit, but if I don't get major words tomorrow, I'm going to throw my word-goal out the window and just write whatever. I feel so bad, being the creator of this thread. Feels like I'm abandoning my own army or something of that nature.

Okay, I've convinced myself I'll at least write 20000 words this month. I'm like 5000 words behind, so I'll just take 5000 words off my goal, and be back on track! But only if tomorrow doesn't give me massive words. Write-Or-Die, I place my faith in you.

@ ultraviolet: I can't really talk, since I'm failing so badly. But what I did was, literally, typed "Utter Crap Starts Here" on the top of my fourth chapter, and that helped a bit. At least the reader will know what they're getting into, right?
Also, try writing while listening to a song you love. For each minute, get at least 10, 50, 100 words. Whatever you can do without them just being the letter "A" repeated 100 times a minute. I'm doing this write (wow, I think I've got writing on the brain...) now to Monster-0. Helps a bit.

Edit: I've finished my musical Write-or-Die session. Bajesus, that was insane. I tried for 500 words in 15 minutes, and managed! Well, managed relatively, my writing was so bad I actually am legally obligated to edit it now. So yes, Write-Or-Die works. I never thought you could get physically tired just from writing...

Total: 8942/2500 - 35% of the words - 54% of the month done
Needed by 11:59pm, Sunday: 13,000

And with that, I retire to sleep. (Sorry for the long post, KEEP WRITING, USE WRITE OR DIE, REMEMBER NO FIRST DRAFT IS THAT GOOD, JUST GET THE WORDS ON THE PAGE! :smt003 )
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

57 Reviews

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm
Wariofart says...

Sorry for the double post, but I'm expecting another painfully long post. Wri-Day is half over, and guess what? SUCCESS so far! I set out to get.... 13,000 words.

Start Count: 8942 words
4:00 Count: 11,142 words
6:00 Count: 12,181 words
9:49 count: 12,681 words

The best part? I wrote over 1000 words in 35 minutes! (the second time I did it, it was in 30 minutes!) And, amazingly, they were actually not crap. Write-Or-Die is amazing, I can't believe I haven't used it until now. I think I'll still edit what I wrote, but I'm actually really happy with where my story is going. And listening to instrumental music really helped me too. If you want some good writing tones that don't distract: here are some

I hope to get in two more writing sessions today. One at 5:00, another at maybe 7 or 8. Then, I should be able to meet my goal of writing 4000+ words in one day! Then, I'll only be about... 1000 words behind come Monday, which will be easy to catch up to.

Moral Support of the Day:
So if any JulNo stragglers are reading this, don't give up. You can easily catch up as long as you just put ONE day aside to just write. Tell everyone you know, "___ day, I'm going to write. So please leave me alone. Gracias." Another tip that might help you'all is scheduling your day to make sure you don't procrastinate on writing. It's easy to think "Oh, it's only 4, I don't have to write yet." But if you plan you'll write at 12, 4 and 8 (or whatever), even if you procrastinate, you should still get done at a fairly reasonable hour.

There's my moral support for now. I'll update again when I'm done with my WriMo. For now, some meaningless stats!:

Final Tally

Chapters: 7
Pages (word): 27
Pages (novel): ~46
Percent of Words Done: 51%
Percent of Month Done: 58%
Total Words Written Today: 3,739

Whoa. End of my first WriDay ever, and... over 3500 words! Not exactly the 4000 I was looking for but close enough. Now, I must get to bed. I have to deal with small children for the next two weeks and I cannot be tired. Operation Save JulNo: Success. Hopefully I can get back to what I'm supposed to have done by Wednesday.

One more tip before I go out, since this is moral support: Get a generic calendar for July 2010 (I used this bad boy), and edit what words you need for each day in a program like Paint or GIMP. The, set it as your background on your computer. This has been incredibly convenient to me because I every time I boot up my computer I see how many words I should have done. Saves time and is a good reminder. I probably should have posted this at the beginning of the month, but oh well.

(at the end of this, I'm totally going to create a huge blog post with all you guys tips. I'll definitely need to remember them come NaNoWriMo.
And again"

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:13 pm
Tenyo says...

Yey! Go Wario! 3500 words in one day is epic!

If I include my fanfiction-of-my-own-julno, then I've reached the 40k mark. If not, I'm on 34k, and I have a busy week ahead, (don't we all love that excuse.)

If I can reach 40k by the time I go on holiday I will be a very happy bunny. However, the last uber-inspired burst of writing I did was based around an exciting subplot that crashed and failed miserably. I now have to re sort 3000 words of penquin poop before I can carry on. Fun, fun, fun!
We were born to be amazing.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Hey guys, I feel awful, but I think I might just have to concede. I'm still floating at around 24K and really not getting anywhere near catching up, especially now that my work schedule is getting more and more intense.

Honestly, I think it's stressing me out too much and making me real anxious and depressed-- which would be fine, but its starting to affect the actual writing. Which would also be fine, if this weren't supposed to be a comedy. As it, my MC has basically gone from likable deadpan snarker to full on waaaahmbulance driver.

I'm not sure why NaNo is always so much easier for me than JulNo-- maybe I'm just out of whack during the summer. In any case, I'm still going to work on Titanium this month, but I think I'll cut my word count goal down to a more manageable 35K-- it will still be more than I got last year. XD Plus, now I can, like, not drown in my guilt over being late with reviews. XD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

57 Reviews

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 pm
Wariofart says...

Man, I haven't posted on this in a while. And we're almost done with the month too!

zankoku_na_tenshi: Oh no! I did a comedy for Script Frenzy, and got horribly behind (as in, 60+ pages behind). I still managed to get all 100 pages done though, so don't give up! Comedies are great because you can just fluff them up with pointless scenes! I remember that I wrote a 2-3 page conversation all about the characters favorite video games (they were at an internet rehab camp, so it made it slightly more plausible). It wasn't even funny, but it added to my page count and was something I could easily delete. So maybe try that? Just write 5000 words of utter none-sense, throw your characters into a volcano, make them dance with big-foot. Maybe you'll learn something about them on the way. And if not, once July is done, you can always delete it (or just laugh at it).

So now is time for my little rant. I've decided that the first, ohh, 5000+ words of my novel are too boring, and have decided to add an actual goal to Raven's life. But that makes the rest of my story almost fall apart, so I've been re-writing sections. However, I'm not deleting the original parts I wrote, which is saving me in the word count department. Once July ends, this will be a nightmare to edit. Oh well, as long as I can get through just one more week, I can finally stop and edit this bad boy. It's actually a bit exciting, but mostly terrifying.

Word Count: 16600/25000
Percent Done (Word Count): 66%
Percent Done (Month): 80%

Updated - July 26:I have some fairly awesome news (at least for me). My summer camp I work at was cancelled today! And luckily, my power is still, even after a micro-tornado ripped through our city. So I turned today into a WriDay!

Word Count (Today): 3006
Word Count (Total): 19734/25000
Percent Done (Word Count): 79%
Percent Done (Month): 83% (almost caught up!)
And again"

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda