z

Young Writers Society

Crying while writing.... <.< >.>

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:50 am
Forestqueen808 says...

Okay, so how many of you...have ever had to kill of those beloved characters? How many of you cry? How many...well...How many feel like you lose a best friend? I am one of those peoples...but I can't get over it! I feel so bad! THEY ARE FICTIONAL! But...they are my best friends, and are the people closest to my heart.....Any of you feel this way?
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

LOL! Yes! I'll even cry when I'm NOT killing a character! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:04 pm
Pritt says...

xD Crying while writing is good, I think. If you're emotional while writing it people are likely to be emotional while reading it.
On the other hand, no, I've never cried. ): I'm jealous of your tears.
"The next person that offers me pity will be mentioned by name in my suicide note."
- Jeff Winger

:o!

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm
Sins says...

Yeah, I'd think of it as a good thing, to be honest. :wink: It shows that you're connected to your characters, therefore, there's a good chance that your readers will also feel the same. I don't know if that makes sense... but yeah, it's a thought.

It's never happened to me, personally. Mind you, I've never actually killed any of my own characters, strangely enough. What I will say though is that I have cried over another character dying in a book before. When you mentioned the whole, can't get over it kind of thing, it's like that with me when a character I love dies in a story. It really bugs me... It happened recently, come to think of it. It still hurts me to think about it now! :lol: I keep telling myself that the character isn't real, well, wasn't real, but it still makes me as sad as hell! I always go through this when a character I like dies... It actually puts me off reading sometimes! I'm such a wimp...

God knows what would happen if I killed my own characters...
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:09 pm
View Likes
Esther Sylvester says...

Yes! It happens to me all the time. I make myself laugh too, which is weird because most of the time the jokes my characters make aren't even funny.

I think it's a good sign that you cry for your characters. If you relate to them, there's a good chance the readers will relate to them too.
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 am
tori1234 says...

I've only cried twice while writing. Once when I had to kill one of my most developed character off, and another time recently when my main character was visiting his mother's grave and he was crying sooo.......yeah. lol.
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:38 pm
ShelraofWaral says...

I am still working on my story, but I dont feel like crying whenever I had to drop off a character, I just feel sorry for my characters for the way situations are driving him nuts. But making the chracters behave like humans to natural cirsumstances do makes the story and fictional characters real! :)
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ~~
Steven Covey "

"For me, writing is a world where I am desperately trying to find my voice"

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 pm
Talulahbelle says...

I have killed a character once - so far - and it was a big dramatic deal with murder and violence and all that tragic stuff. And I cried. HARD. And I knew I was going to so I dressed for the occasion with heavy eyeliner and my black fedora (its the hat I wear when I'm most inspired. I have no clue why.). I felt like poor Axel needed all the dramatics I could give him. I must've cried all day. When he died I cried, then dried up a bit, then his love found out and i cried again. Horrible.

And as for crying over book characters that you read. I do that to. It weird because I never cry about stuff in real life. My best friend has never seen me cry. But I get really attatched to characters and then they die. I'm seriously cursed. And I take their deaths to heart. I stopped reading Harry Potter when Sirius died. Then, I convinced myself I that I had to know how the series ended...and I got mad all over again. Why wasn't Sirius in the white room with Dumbledore? I'm still mad.

But I think it is a good thing that your characters are real to you. It will make them real to the reader as well. So let the tears flow!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:40 pm
View Likes
Masquerade says...

I've cried a couple times. Once was when I killed off a couple characters. The other time actually wasn't a death scene. It was a really sad yet sweet little scene. I could hardly see my computer screen because my eyes were all watery. My whole family kept peaking around the corner at me, and giving me weird looks which was very annoying, but it turned out to be a really good scene. I don't cry a lot over movies or books, though, so I guess it must be a good sign.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

Reviews: 0
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 am
Writingthewind says...

I've cried before when writing, but it wasn't when I was killing off characters. It was when I was writing really emotional scenes.

My mom even started to tear up in at one of the scenes in a novel I wrote.
"...I write for the same reason I breathe-
Because if I didn't, I would die..."

Reviews: 0
Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 am
Eritela says...

It's like the quote: "No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."

I cried when I killed the twin sister of my main character! Of course, I later changed it so she doesn't actually die, but still. When I get to where I kill off the coolest character ever (one of the three main main characters), I am quite sure I will cry. Kianos is just that awesome and lovable of a character.

I thrive on anything and everything depressing. I can write emotion scenes quite easily and I have to try not to apply any sad things to my own life. I have a tendency to think in depressing ways, as in "what would I feel if my best (almost only) friend decided she didn't want to be friends anymore?" or "what if my best friend died"? Then I get about a million emotions which I can cram onto paper. I know I will be using a lot of that "what if my best friend died" stuff for when I kill off Kianos. (Lirmelu is kinda sorta in love with him... poor Lirmelu.)

Either I write things REALLY depressing, or other books just suck at writing things so they're sad. No more than once or twice have I cried at a book. I think I cried ONCE at a movie. I don't remember which movie, though... hmm...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who cries at my writing.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:06 pm
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

I cried while writing earlier when I killed off a characters husbad. I started to tear up...
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

No. I cackle with glee.
I wrote the above just for you.

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 am
DragonRook says...

The characters I do kill off I enjoy their deaths very much.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:54 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I have to kill off a whole host of characters in my current novel. I'm going to be a mess.
Got YWS?

It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe