z

Young Writers Society

jump starting the writer inside

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm
napalmerski says...

Right, I've very few things to do until mid July. Then I've got stuff to do. I can again start writing seriously in September.
So, until said mid July, I'll try to achieve total focus on writing. Ideas have never been a problem for me, I'm usualy a dozen ideas ahead of my current projects. But I have issues with speed, discipline, and experience. Thus, I need to up my speed, work on my discipline, and accumulate writing experience.
From now, until mid-July, using formed and half-formed existing ideas, I will attempt to write:
- three juve sci-fi adventure novellas
- two juve horror/suspence novellas. Or something.
- one romance novella /I can't stand romance, but I'll try to control my revultion, I'll read the stories here, and I'll see if I can work on my prejudices and enter the flow/
- one sword and sword novel.
Will I go insane? Will I jump higher than myself and achieve all this? Will I achieve it but produce unreadable crud? /even then it should be valuable experience, I tell myself/
Anyway, here goes! Head on rush into authorhood :smt003
P.S. c'mon, wish me success y'all
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed May 19, 2010 11:57 am
Tusker93 says...

Well, you're ambitious and that's great - but you'll run out of energy if each story is just a number to you and it'll lower the overall quality of the story.

Instead of 3 sci-fi novellas, why don't you merge it into one really good sci-fi novella which integrates all your ideas?

You say 'horror/suspense novellas. or something.' it sounds to me like you're just attempting to vary your writing styles and expand your skills in writing different genres. I see where you're coming from but if you really want to develop a skill the best way is to integrate it into a novella idea which you really like (you seem to like sci-fi novels so I assume there's plenty of space in the genre for horrific or suspenseful events).

For the Romance, it sounds like you just don't enjoy it at all - why would you focus on writing something you just don't enjoy? When you don't enjoy or something and in your case you're clearly repulsed by romance novels, then the writing standard tends to be poorer. If you really want to develop romance into the novel then I'm sure that as the personalities of your characters develop in sci-fi, you can develop different kinds of relationship; in my opinion, every novel needs some relationships between each character (whether it be friendships, hatred, intimate, sexual etc).

So, If i was you - I would maybe think of one or two ideas in genres which interest you (it seems to be sci-fi, correct me if I'm wrong) and work around those ideas and develop the atmospheres of horror and suspense and romance into different events and between different characters in your novels. It'll ensure a really varied and lively piece of writing on your part where you'll probably be able to maintain your interest.

Hope I helped :).

117 Reviews

Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 am
napalmerski says...

Yo Tusker,
that's sound advice! But I'll follow it later :D Let's view this as a practice burst - I'll fiddle with varying genres just to get the overal feel of them, and then - come autumn, I'll try to integrate the elements into my fiction, instead of trying to keep them separate. Or so I think now. Plans are plans but writing is writing, I can never tell with much precision what will come out. Only after the first three chapters of anything do I begin to realize what exactly am I writing.
Tnanx!
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

117 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:28 am
napalmerski says...

Well,
I've fallen incredibly short of my megalomanic objectives - I'll return to them in the autumn :D
Robert Howard

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 am
EmmVeePi says...

Good luck to you, its good to set goals high, shoot for the stars, why not right? Kinda off topic but maybe not: Writing with Power by Peter Elbow(I think) is an excellent read for any writer.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore