z

Young Writers Society

Bickazer's Corner

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon May 17, 2010 4:06 am
Bickazer says...

Figured it was about time I did this. Basically, this'll be updated with news on my two main projects: The Linked Worlds and Broken Memory.

The Linked Worlds is the novel I started but never finished for NaNo '09. As soon as I crossed 50K words I stopped, mainly because I had lost interest by that time (and I had college applications). It's amazing what the space of a few months can do to convince you that your piece of crap novel is actually workable. At any rate, I find it more workable than The End of Time ever was, probably because this time, I actually (gasp!) like the protagonist. Oh, man, I hate Nendo so much. I can't believe I wrote an entire novel with that Marty Stu douche as the hero, though admittedly I guess the side characters helped propel me...sigh. At least, I should write something centering around Lord Darian eventually. And Tey/Jyuna, squee. They were my favorite couple.

But anyway, this is a thread for living projects, not dead ones.

Anyway, The Linked Worlds is the story of a 14-year-old girl, Evanna Kingruey, trying to solve the mystery of her mother's murder. Kind of. Except, Evanna lives in a city that's linked to three other dimensions. Hence the title. Her mother, Dr. Elise Kingruey, was responsible for the linking, and most people believe her death was an accident because of the magical energies involved in the linking, or something. But she was actually murdered. Evanna finds this out at the beginning of the novel and thus makes it her quest to solve her mom's murder, together with an institute headed by Natalia "Tal" Redmond, her mother's best friend. Except it soon balloons beyond a murder mystery, into a multidimensional epic involving prophecies and animated dolls and murderous angels. Although most of that takes place in the next three novels of the quartet (called The Key to the Worlds).

This story's already been tightly plotted and I don't foresee significant changes in its structure. It will be 19 chapters, approximately 100,000 words, and is divided into 3 parts, or books. I've completed book one and am only two chapters away from completing book two. So basically, I've written all the way to the 11th chapter. It's going very well. Book one has already been combed over twice and a portion of book two has been combed over once.

Broken Memory is...quite a different kind of story altogether. Although, not that different. Because it too is a dimension-trotting adventure, though with a lot fewer subthreads and a lot more focus on the dimension-trotting. It's a web fiction serial that I plan on encompassing 100+ chapters. The story follows a man who built a time machine in order to go back in time to prevent his wife's death (but somehow, the time machine ends up taking him through dimensions, WTF). It takes loose inspiration from Ludo's rock opera Broken Bride. The man isn't really human and he comes from the year 2099, and a lot of complicated crud happened that resulted in his wife's death. His backstory and the complicated crud is detailed in Prelude to Broken Memory, a 12-chapter prequel whose link is in my signature.

I've posted 4 chapters of Broken Memory. The story at this point is sticking as close to Broken Bride as it ever will be, but soon we will get to the airships, the Nakama, the atheist priests, the cowardly princes turned merchant, the face-eating kings, the dimension trotting, and above all the absolutely insane revelations. Let's see how many twists I can pull off before the audience's heads fall off and start spinning on the ground. Of course, I need an audience first, so this is an open invitation to go read it.

Tl;dr: I gots a NaNo and some crud on fictionpress.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

157 Reviews

Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm
Bickazer says...

Book 2 of The Linked Worlds has been completed and edited twice. Whoo! Only 6 more chapters (approx. 30,000 words) to go!

As for Broken Memory...eh, heh. I've kind of reached a block in it, because I never had a clear plan of how the current arc would proceed. Now that it's here I'm stumped as how to introduce some important characters and plot threads. Which is sad because the coming arc (the one directly after) is the one I've been impatient to write since the beginning. >_>

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat May 29, 2010 2:34 pm
Wolfdaemon says...

Sounds very intriguing. I rarely read those kinds of books, but i think i would probably pick up linked worlds from a shelf and read it! nice summary! lol, isn't it odd how we already plan out the other books in our series? when we haven't even finished the first? cracks me up. well, good luck and have fun!
Wolfie
(ps: sorry about any mistakes, my comp doesnt catch them for some reason.)
You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles.James 2:19
http://dragcave.net/user/Roma-Gypsy
^ you should so click this.... :)

157 Reviews

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 pm
Bickazer says...

I've finally updated Broken Memory, and I find I'm able to work on it again. Go read, though. Reviews always give me impetus to continue.

you should no this
— Hijinks