z

Young Writers Society

the Shadows of Solera (Intro)

Reviews: 0
Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 am
Morrow says...

It has been over a thousand years since the time of the Zaar. The very essence of Solera rested in the hands of these god-like energy beings. They guarded the five elements that created this world, one for each, and used them to create a sanctuary for all the inhabitant creatures. It was only when a jealous shadow-being could not stand the prosperity of this land, that he bound his chaotic home world of shadows to Solera.

The rift linking both worlds tore deeply into the heart of Solera, drawing on the planet's life-force to sustain the portal. The ensuing battle would not mend as much as it would ravage the world and it's people. The Zaar fought heroically against the shadow-being with their individual elements, but in the end, it was their leader, the Zaar of Aether, who fought the shadow-being alone. The remaining four were left straining themselves against the horde of dark, ethereal beings that desperately tried to enter Solera.

Ibramar, the name given to the Zaar of Aether, clashed with the shadow-being in combat. The skies became shrouded in dusk while the oceans churned with anguish. Both fought with the full extent of their powers, but a Zaar alone could not overpower the shadow-being. In his final moments, Ibramar put his remaining life-force into one last endeavor. A blast of pure aetheric energy filled the sky and thrashed against the shadow-being. The monster was thrust through the rift it had created, the resonating energy sealing the passageway.

Solera was now safe from the threat of shadows, but the Zaar of Aether was no more. It was his power, and his alone, that held the seemingly distant elements of air, water, fire, and earth in harmony. Without Ibramar, the world began to tear away itself apart.

The remaining four Zaar decided Ibramar would not go down in vain. Solera was their ward, and the creatures that lived there had suffered enough. Each bound their life-forces into the planet of Solera to fuse the fragments back together. This was the last time anyone ever saw the Zaar, but their sacrifice did not go without reward. Solera soon flowed with prosperity once more and the scars of war soon diminished. Solera lived on undisturbed. That is until now.

--------------------------------------------

The truth is this is just a bit of lore for my fictional world, Solera. I'm thinking it might be workable into a prologue of sorts to introduce some history and help understand the story. The real plot revolves around Claire Harper, a teenage girl, and her soon to be mission of combating the returning Shadow threat with her menagerie of friends and allies. The world has no protectors and the people of Solera are divided. Only a world united can overcome.

Here are a few characters I have planned to use somehow:

Claire Harper
Power: Magic with Plants (A bit rougher than growin' daisies. Affinity with trees.)
Combat: Little to no combat skills.
Birthplace: Hakar, a thriving seaport city-state.

Vadim Kazimir
Power: Can make his aura visible, creating bright light. A necessity for combating an evil shadow threat, no?)
Combat: Limited fighting skills.
Birthplace: Calex City, the capital of the kingdom of Homen. Homen is the most thriving civilization in terms of advancement.

Rai of Qui'Gara
Power: None
Combat: He fights with staves or hand-to-hand combat. He's a really great fighter.
Birthplace: Omahk, a desert oasis village within the Qui'Garan desert. The village as a whole is well known for their superior combat skills and lack of magical abilities.

The Zaar:
Ibramar - Aether
Izuma - Wind
Kayshora - Water
Terrok - Earth
Belaiden - Fire

The descriptions are short, but its late and I wanted to post something because I'm probably going to be very busy for the next day or two. I appreciate any feedback on the lore I have and the basics I put for the characters. Do you think its too cliche or overdone? Maybe, its just too far-fetched? I appreciate all criticism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 14, 2010 3:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hey! Going to go over this quickly.

This looks really cool, but my big question about the history is why the Zaar didn't just throw the Shadow into the portal before? I know an epic battle is cool and creates really interesting history, but if he could have used the same amount of energy while healthy, he wouldn't have died. (I consider it unlikely). What forced a battle to happen between the two groups? I'd suggest you answer that question because it will probably help you plot out the current version of that epic battle.

And you've probably figured this out already, but what causes there to be thriving culture, a desert, and a citystate sea-port in one country? Think of landmarks and how the country/countries work together in order to create those situations in provinces/cities.

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor