z

Young Writers Society

Plot Idea-Suggestions needed

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm
Skorpionne says...

I'm not even sure if this belongs in here, but oh well.

During science I had this idea for a book/story. I need points of view, suggestions, and if needed, downright crushing criticism.

Basically, the scientists of Earth for some-reason-I-haven't-figured-out-yet, decide to put a huge thermometer with state-of-the-art technology into the sun to find out the exact temperature, however, the sun is too much for the thermometer, and it shatters. The giant shards fall (or kind of float) towards Earth, causing catastrophic effects when they land.

That is as far as I got.

Please feel free to tell me this is an awful idea and to stuff it, or to say you didn't understand a word. I am open to the most crippling insults if they dissuade me from writing a bad
book/story/whatever.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:49 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

For one this is the right forum.

As for the idea. Scientist already know the temperature of the sun and would have no reason to use a thermometer. As for the debris falling that would burn up in the sun if not that it would burn up in our own atmosphere. So I'm sorry to say this idea may not work.

Sending a different devise other then a thermometer would make more sense, and I think the it breaking part should be taken out all together since scientist know the temperature and wold check and triple check before using it. So with some tweaking to the science aspect to this I think it could be a nice story.

Here is a resource about the sun and it's temperature.
http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/sun_worldbook.html
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat May 29, 2010 7:19 pm
napalmerski says...

Yo,
I think that having dangerous debris falling towards the Earth is always a good idea! Doesn't necessarily have to be a giant thermometer though. Could be absolutely anything else. If you insist it being an instrument to meausure something to do with the sun - let it measure fluctuations in something which you can find in a wikipedia page about the sun... Maybe a a solar flare or solar wind or a passing comet send it off towards the Earth...

To summarize - break the plot idea up into ten points and post it here /and PM me if you like/, and then it'll be easier to figure out what to do with it!
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 29, 2010 8:23 pm
Rosendorn says...

It's unlikely they would actually fall to Earth; the shards would be pulled towards the sun because the sun's gravity would be stronger than the earth's. As for the shards actually making it to earth, look up what the atmosphere can actually burn up. It would take very large chunks of something to actually hit the earth and cause damage, or the chunks of stuff would need to be on fire when they hit the earth. (Look up "The Fireball of Tutankhamun" to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.)

However, the basic idea of stuff falling to earth and causing havoc has been done time and again. You'd need to put some very unusual spin on it to come up with something original.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun May 30, 2010 9:58 pm
Tusker93 says...

My honest opinion on this is that you should just start writing it and see where it gets you, if the ideas dont come to your head naturally then maybe you'll lose interest in the idea itself. If you think too much before even attempting to write you'll never get a chance to make mistakes or learn from them.

Just write it and see how far you can get with the idea :D

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
— Thomas Neill