z

Young Writers Society

Writing Survive

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 pm
RayquazaKid says...

I guess this is where I post this so...

Boy, for a first novel this is one heck of a ride.

For starters, I've had to do a lot for this story. Even though it lies into the fantasy genre, I want the non-fantasy elements to be as realistic as possible.

That includes the logistics of underground rooms.

I've had a lot of trouble with this, I want the room to be big, and yet not so big as to put strain on the columns. Afterall, the room is underground, so I don't have much to work with as it is. Also, I want the number of columns to be a certain number, thusly that limits me even more.

To illistrate what this room, I've taken a couple of snapshots of a 3-d model. Everything is to scale, but that is it.

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
[img]Boy, for a first novel this is one heck of a ride.

I guess this is where I post this so...

For starters, I've had to do a lot for this story. Even though it lies into the fantasy genre, I want the non-fantasy elements to be as realistic as possible.

That includes the logistics of underground rooms.

I've had a lot of trouble with this, I want the room to be big, and yet not so big as to put strain on the columns. Afterall, the room is underground, so I don't have much to work with as it is. Also, I want the number of columns to be a certain number, thusly that limits me even more.

To illistrate what this room, I've taken a couple of snapshots of a 3-d model. Everything is to scale, but that is it.

[spoiler]Image

Spoiler! :

The measurements between columns is 26 feet, and the columns themselves are 4 feet. The columns are placed in a 9x14 configuration. 9x14=126, with 126 being the recurring number. Altogether the measurements come out to 296x446.

Of course, the realism may be off, but it's a start....

Currently, this story has 24 completed chapters in it. However, as I do not want to clog the boards, I've only posted 3 so far.
Call me RK :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

How about if you make the ceiling a dome? If you do that you're tapping into what I call the "egg principle." An egg can support a lot of weight because of its rounded shape that displaces the weight much more effectively than something flat.

Also, those columns need tops and bottoms that are bigger than their actual surface area. If a column doesn't have a large base and crown (basically what's touching the floor and ceiling) then it will want to punch a hole in the roof or floor, depending on which is weaker (which, in the case of a single-story underground room, is the ceiling). By having a large surface area touching the ceiling, at least, you're spreading the weight over a much greater area and don't need to worry about them settling down and poking holes.

I'd also take realism into account when you're figuring out what the room's purpose is. Anything that big seems like it would be a conference room, but that's impossible with the columns. If the purpose isn't clear, it's hard to get an idea if the set-up is realistic or not.

Hope this helps!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

30 Reviews

Sat May 01, 2010 8:27 pm
RayquazaKid says...

I kind of wanted something flat and with columns. So I think and egg shape wouldn't quite work. Though... it could be possible to curve the ceiling a little.

Actually, I like the idea of a curved ceiling. Make the room look cooler.

The room is in a mine, though it is supposed to double as a shelter should there be an attack. It needs to be able to fit a lot of people, hence the size.

The columns themselves, yea. The illistration doesn't get the details, it is only for a sense of scale. Of course the columns would have those wider bases.

And in the story itself, there is magic, and quite possibly magic can help with the support. That's something else to keep in mind.

Thanks for the reply.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 01, 2010 9:00 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hmm, have you looked into underground Berlin during Nazi Germany? They had huge underground complexes for sheltering Germans during the bombing of Berlin. It's very cool and might help.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

30 Reviews

Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm
RayquazaKid says...

Sure, I'll take a look at those. Thanks :)

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne