z

Young Writers Society

Collaborative Novels

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:21 pm
Tusker93 says...

Well, what do you all think of them?

I've personally been interested in writing one for a LONG time and me and my close friend even started one and had many main characters planned out! But due to personal reasons, we ended up not making it past the first chapter (ridiculously frustrating for me :x ).

Do you think collaboration projects would enrich novels or would they just spoil the individuality of the writers and the style/flow of the novel?

Personally, I'd be happy to do a collaboration novel with people as long as the number of people stayed low, 3 at the most (including myself). But I think collaborative novels would definitely stimulate and make the story more interesting; especially in aspects of life or creativity one of the writers don't understand (everyone's been in those situations when writing...) or just feel uncomfortable writing about and it can be explained simply by the fact that every person's life experiences and thoughts are unique.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:48 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I think it can work if you have the personality for it. Some people are good at working with others and bouncing ideas off each other. I personally would never do it because I lack the people skills to sit down and discuss plot. I admit though that such collaboration could spawn some great ideas. After all two head are supposedly better then one.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:11 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I tried a collaborative novel once and we got a few chapters into it, but it fell flat after a while. Part of it was that I personally don't like group projects and avoid them at all costs. I don't mind bouncing ideas off people and brainstorming together sometimes, but when it actually comes to writing, I want to do it all myself.

I wish I had the skills to do it though, because it sounds so cool.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am
Hippie says...

Well it could work with some people. For me it would end with me saying "shut up, my idea's better." (Unless my partner's bigger than me)

Even if you can work that side of things out, writing's quite a personal process. Ever notice how people act differently in public to how they do when alone? I reckon the same would apply to writing. If you've got other people working on the project too, it could come out superficial and self-conscious because you don't want to lay out your darkest insecurities in a communal project. If you fully trust the person you're writing with, go for it. Otherwise you'll be able to go much deeper on your own.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
— W. Edwards Deming