z

Young Writers Society

All A Bit Too Freaky Deaky- thoughts on this concept?

Reviews: 3
Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:40 pm
FreakyDeaky says...

I just wanted to know what people thought of the concept before I actually started writing the story. I also hope this is in the right forum. ^^;;

All A Bit Too Freaky Deaky
The bottom line of the plot is told throughout these character descriptions.

HUMANS
Oreo: The protagonist. Slightly psychic. Prefers to dress in darker clothing but isn't emo or goth. Because he is only slightly psychic, he cannot see all spirits at all times, except for Keyres. He agrees to help her, not knowing he's risking his life.
Karabelle: Love Interest who for parts becomes the Helping Hand. Oreo has a crush on her, not for her looks but for her personality. She is close friends with him but doesn't instantly pick up on his feelings. It laters turns out she is actually a lesbian.
Hume: One of the most popular kids in college who has nothing to do with a “freak” like Oreo until he finds out he's a psychic freak. Surprisingly, Hume is secretly really into psychic-esque things and spiritualism, so agrees to help Oreo.
Pooley: Oreo's rival and very rich for his age, Pooley is very skeptical about everything, and often denies existence of Paranormal Activity. At one point, he is used by Oriuki for information about Oreo.
Cami: Pooley's twin sister with a completely different personality. She knows nothing about spiritualism and sometimes sees Keyres throughout the plot, but isn't believed when she says she sees her. It turns out she is slightly psychic too.

SPIRITS/DEMONS
Keyres: Spirit trying to escape from her past. Thinks Oreo is stalking her at first but when she realises he's psychic, she turns to him for help against the three Demon Spirits out to get her.
Salifraga: An Oracle in the Spirit World who's actually sometimes quite forgetful. She acts as Keyres' mentor and guardian when she can remember who Keyres is.
Nacruezar: One of three Demon Spirits after Keyres, he claims to have ownership of her after he did her “the favour to end all favours” and bound her to him as part of a deal...
Bramxule: One of the three Demon Spirits after Keyres, he is a monk who's also heard of an army at war with a formidable foe. And he's looking for every spirit available for combat...
Oriuki: One of the three Demon Spirits, he is the only of the three who can take on a human form (Orion). He claims that Keyres accepted his proposals of marriage but then ran off the night before their wedding....

All Demon Spirits suffer from a triggered condition called “Bloodlust”, when they are provoked or angered enough, or tempted by conflict. Their fangs grow, they are noticeably more aggressive but the most noticeable trait is “bleeding” from every part of the body except the head, and particularly on the hands- the blood is literally on their hands. They are particularly stronger in this form, and combined with the fact that Oreo can't see them all the time, they can strike hard without him knowing it.

Those are all the characters. It's a relatively small cast compared to other stories but I felt that with too many characters, this concept may fall. But what are your thoughts though, YWS?
"If you truly believe, then others' opinion of it should not be your downfall" ~ Keyres, All A Bit Too Freaky Deaky.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 am
Tusker93 says...

I think it sounds like an awesome concept and about the 'too many characters' thing, that's not a major problem for the moment unless it develops into one. If you have conflicting characters wanting the same thing and different personalities clashing it's actually very interesting providing that you've sufficiently developed the characters throughout the novel.

The main problem with most of us is that we think of all these amazing characters and exactly how we want them to be in our heads but when it comes to writing we're so used to thinking about these characters to ourselves that we dont develop their personalities enough for the reader to empathise with them or understand them, which is what makes a novel really uninteresting... Just make sure you display their differences, their conflicts properly and it's not all just confined to your head when you put it on paper.

Also, you might want to decide on the tone of the novel is it going to be a really epic fantasy or is it going to be a more light-hearted fantasy like Stardust? Because you don't want to end up at a point where you want to put something which would be grossly out of place with the rest of the novel...

Problem with a very serious tone is that it can really get on the reader's nerves if it's overdramatic or if it's just not thrilling or gripping enough. But the problem with a very light-hearted tone is that the reader might find that annoying (especially with the causes that your spirits/demons have). If I was you I'd try and strike a balance but keep it on the more serious side to suit your characters....

Hope I helped :D

- Tusker -

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm
Skorpionne says...

I say it looks awesome. My particular favourite is the love interest being a lesbian. I've read far too many books with all-too-obvious pairings. This looks unique and gripping. I wish I'd had this idea!
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief