z

Young Writers Society

I can't write more than one page

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Rune says...

Maybe it's because writing anything other than a poem is something new to me, but no matter how many ideas I have in my head, or how many times I go over the same chapter, I never can write more than one page.

Does anyone else have this problem? and how do you get over it
Splenig Metsackes Ink.
Flowing Scribble

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:17 pm
Karsten says...

Write. There is no substitute for writing. Nobody else can put the words on paper for you. Pull the plug on the internet and don't put it back in until you've written at least 500 words - they don't have to be good words or even okay words, just words. Shouldn't take you more than an hour. :)

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 pm
MagnusBane says...

I used to have the same problem. I'd write a page or two, and then obsess over one section and rewrite it again and again and never get anywhere at all. Then I did NaNoWriMo a few months ago, and that all changed. Now I can sit down and write pages and pages of a story. It might be the worst writing in the world, but it's writing.

You just have to write, like Karsten said. Any words are better than a blank sheet of paper. Don't look back at what you've written, don't stop to think about whether a sentence sounds funny or not, don't even stop to fix spelling mistakes. Just write down whatever comes into your head. You can edit later. And don't worry about making each sentence a masterpiece. It's just a first draft, not the Next Great American Novel. There will be plenty of time to fix it later - when you're done with the story.

Here's a website that might help you:

http://writeordie.drwicked.com/

You choose the number of words you want to write, the time you want to write for, the consequence level, and then you just write - and don't stop. If you stop, the screen will flash red, it will make an annoying noise, or it will even start erasing what you've written, depending on how high you want the consequences to be. Talk about motivation lol! :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:17 pm
Rune says...

Cool thanks :)
Splenig Metsackes Ink.
Flowing Scribble

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 am
LittlePetRock says...

Ugh!
I used to have the same problem, only I'd write a prologue and chapter 1, then stop. It wasn't until jest a few days ago I started pushing myself to write. Today I wrote over 2,600 words, and I feel very accomplished. :D
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides