z

Young Writers Society

Descriptions of my main character---please read!

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 pm
Jaguar52 says...

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF ROXANNE
Eyes-Blue….Contacts
Hair- Black w\red streaks…Side bangs (right side)…Down to mid-back
Weight- about 150… I want her to be a little on the heavier side
Teeth- Pretty straight, not super white but average
Dimples-Yes
Freckles-Yes
Zits-One in a great while
Ears-Pierced on cartilage (Free earlobes)
Makeup-Found of blacks (Pretty dark)
Age- about 16 or 17
Subtle muscles on arms\legs
Balance-Bad when not dancing
Face-Gets red easily….Not pale at all most of the time
Lips-A perfect pale pink
Blond hair on arms
Shoe size-9
Eyebrows- Slightly hairier than most people
Bites lip a lot

EMOTIONAL DESCRPTION OF ROXANNE
VERY sarcastic
Funny-but only lets you see that part of her when you get to know her
Smart
Afraid
Scared of her future and what’s going to happen next
Alone
No friends except for her dance buddies, but even then, no BEST friends
Doesn’t care what people think
Uses music as an escape
Trying to figure out what she wants to do with her life
Keeps things bottled up
Angry at the world
Wondering if she’s good enough to do anything
Determined
Jealous of girls who have everything
Temper
Proud
Sweet
Private
Sneaky

I know that the emotional part is a little rough, but please tell me what you think and any ideas you have :)

Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.
~Mark Overby

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:30 pm
Writersdomain says...

*moved to Writer's Corner* :wink:

Now that this is in the right place, your character sounds interesting! I like that you devoted so much time to personality. You mentioned you were having trouble cementing her emotional personality, so I would suggest writing some character sketches for her! If you write character sketches, you can experience and others can see her emotions at work rather than in the form of a list of traits, yah? :wink:

I'd be interested in seeing such a sketch if you should write one!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

Random avatar

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 pm
Jaguar52 says...

Writersdomain wrote:*moved to Writer's Corner* :wink:

Now that this is in the right place, your character sounds interesting! I like that you devoted so much time to personality. You mentioned you were having trouble cementing her emotional personality, so I would suggest writing some character sketches for her! If you write character sketches, you can experience and others can see her emotions at work rather than in the form of a list of traits, yah? :wink:

I'd be interested in seeing such a sketch if you should write one!

Thank you so much :D
What do you mean exactly by "Character sketches"?
I am new to this whole writing thing! Ha ha
Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.
~Mark Overby

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 pm
Rosendorn says...

Character sketches are just scenes in your character's life that you write about. They don't have to even tie into the main plot of the story. The scenes can be emotional turning points (where your MC began to be the way she is now) or just times where your MC behaved a certain way.

My own bit of advice is to just write the story. If you spend too much time on bios you can do several things:

~ Lose interest in the idea
~ Get an unrealistic view of your characters (Like it or not, your characters will take on a life of their own as you write. If you have a bio set in your mind, it might take a long time for your characters to feel completely real)
~ Force your characters to do something they don't really want to because it's part of their bio (a continuation of the point above. Also, characters really don't like you when you do that, haha)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:47 pm
Writersdomain says...

No problem. :wink: Character sketches are basically when a writer sits down with a character in mind and writes a little portion of a scene, a bit of dialogue or whatever comes to mind. It's a writer sitting down and just trying to get to know his/her character through the process of writing.

I wrote a tutorial on getting to know your characters that probably explains it a little better, so check that out if you want to learn more. ^^

Hope that helps!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 pm
Hippie says...

Personalities are quite a fluid thing, so I find lists of traits to be more a hindrance than a help, because they don't delve very deep.

It's helpful to think of the character's life before the story takes place (backstory). What kind of family life did they have? What school did they go to? Any interesting events in their life? Things that most people don't see or do?

This will make you know the character, while trait lists will make you "think" you know them.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Random avatar

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:23 am
Jaguar52 says...

Thank you to all of you! You have some really great ideas :D
~Mark Overby

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm
Fishr says...

Typical teenage angst. Nothing too special about this character that would personally entice me in wanting to know more about Roxanne. Of course, a character sketch is only a basic outline, a simple guide. As Roxanne is put on the forefront of conflicts, her true traits will emerge, and I guarentee they will not be the ones you listed. ;) The beauty of breathing life into a character.

Luck!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 pm
Dr.Atl says...

Question, how tall is she? If she's say, 5'11", she would be on the thin side.

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller