z

Young Writers Society

Wanted: talented writer

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm
itsabook says...

We are a small publisher from the Netherlands and we are currently producing an international book project entitled: ‘Music Brings Us Together’.

The central theme of the project is boutique (music) festivals (such as Glastonbury, Roskilde, Fuji Rock, Lowlands, The Falls, Benicassim, Electric Picnic etc.).

The book, which is to be released in August of 2010, will contain a wealth of photos capturing the flavour of festivals around the world, alongside illustrations and text.

Never before – as far as we know – has there been a project with a factual approach that has also had a link to ‘fiction’. This is where 'Music Brings Us Together' comes in.

We would love to take on that challenge, not only because we are passionate about the subject - but also because we are convinced the factual and fictitious side of the festival experience and pop culture in general can be merged.

We are therefore searching for a talented writer who will be able to pen THE story about pop culture (within the context of the book's subject). They should be able to wax lyrical from the viewpoint of the average festival-goer, with a story that will not only shock the reader, but also make him laugh out loud and, at times, move him to tears.

The star story should leave the reader mystified and with doubts as to what is actually truth what is mere fiction.

As we are venturing into pastures new with this literary experiment, there is no budget for the story but the winning budding music scribe will get the glory of seeing their name in print in a book that will be published worldwide and then..well...who knows? Today, Music Brings Us Together, tomorrow, the world!

Those feeling particularly inspired should not feel constrained to writing a solo entry as we will consider publishing more than one story by the same author if it fits into the same concept.

Entries should be no more than 15,000 words. For more information, email: Mod Notice: Address removed until farther notice

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm
Karsten says...

Hi itsabook,

This sounds very intriguing, and I'm sure many of our young writers would love a publication credit if it's with a reputable publisher. Since you're posting anonymously and of course not all people on the internet can be trusted, I'd like to ask a few questions to establish your bona fides, if I may.

1. What is the name of your publisher? Who are the staff? What's their industry experience? How many books have you previously published?
2. Is there a reason you're posting anonymously on a forum using a free gmail address instead of using your own name, your company's own website and your official email address?
3. Are you publishing ebooks or print? If print, are we talking mass market paperback, trade paperback or hardback?
4. Do you have distribution - not (only) a wholesaler, but real distribution?
5. What rights are you buying specifically? I assume first publication rights, but for what region, and are you taking those rights only or are we also looking at audio, ebook, foreign rights etc?
6. When you say "international book project" and "published worldwide", what exactly do you mean? Do you have distribution in other countries? Have you already sold rights to this project to publishers in other countries?
7. Since there's no advance, are you paying royalties, and if so how much?
8. Is there a reason you're targeting young writers for this project?
edit: 9. Is it feasible to invite submissions in February for a project you hope to publish in August? It usually takes at least a year to produce a book. Are you going to be able to solicit contributions for, edit, copyedit, typeset, print, market, promote and distribute the book in six months or less? If so, I think Random House could learn something from you! :)

I look forward to your answers, which I hope will reassure us all that you're offering a great opportunity to our members.

Thanks,
Karsten

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm
Merlin34 says...

This seems interesting, but I'm not entirely sure what the theme is supposed to be. Is it a story told form the POV of someone who goes to music festivals?

But I had an idea gnawing at the back of my mind that could work with this, so I would like to do it.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

Random avatar

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:40 am
itsabook says...

Karsten wrote:Hi itsabook,

This sounds very intriguing, and I'm sure many of our young writers would love a publication credit if it's with a reputable publisher. Since you're posting anonymously and of course not all people on the internet can be trusted, I'd like to ask a few questions to establish your bona fides, if I may.

1. What is the name of your publisher? Who are the staff? What's their industry experience? How many books have you previously published? It's A Book! Publishing is a small company with a staff of 2 people. We started in 2008 and we have published 1 book so far (Vignettes of Fuji Rock)
2. Is there a reason you're posting anonymously on a forum using a free gmail address instead of using your own name, your company's own website and your official email address?
Pleae check: http://www.itsabook-publishing.com or send your mail to mail@itsabook-publishing.com.
3. Are you publishing ebooks or print? If print, are we talking mass market paperback, trade paperback or hardback? We're selling prints. The Music Brings Us Together book will be hardback 30 cm square.
4. Do you have distribution - not (only) a wholesaler, but real distribution? The book will be sold in bookstores in Holland, on our website, on both Amazon.com and BOL.com. Right now we're working on a distribution deal for Germany.
5. What rights are you buying specifically? I assume first publication rights, but for what region, and are you taking those rights only or are we also looking at audio, ebook, foreign rights etc? We're talking only about first publication rights worldwide.
6. When you say "international book project" and "published worldwide", what exactly do you mean? Do you have distribution in other countries? Have you already sold rights to this project to publishers in other countries? People from all over the globe are working on this project, that's what i meant with an 'international bookproject'. 'Worldwide published' should have been 'available worldwide'.
7. Since there's no advance, are you paying royalties, and if so how much? No. It's an artbook (a combination of photography, illustrations etc.) and it's not a storybook. Adding fiction to the book is an experiment and we have to wait (and see) how it will work out.
8. Is there a reason you're targeting young writers for this project? We're looking for something new and fresh and for someone who has a connection with the subject of the book.
edit: 9. Is it feasible to invite submissions in February for a project you hope to publish in August? It usually takes at least a year to produce a book. Are you going to be able to solicit contributions for, edit, copyedit, typeset, print, market, promote and distribute the book in six months or less? If so, I think Random House could learn something from you! :) We've been working on the photography part of the project for nearly 2 years. The design process will be completed within 2 months. The journalistic part (interviews with artists) will be finished in March. You probably thought that we were at the beginning of the project but we're more than halfway.

I look forward to your answers, which I hope will reassure us all that you're offering a great opportunity to our members. I hope i answered all of your questions in a satifactory manner!

Thanks,
Karsten

You're welcome!
Peter Koudstaal

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 pm
Karsten says...

Thanks very much for your helpful response, Peter. I hope my questions didn't come across as accusatory - I know that vanity publishers like to prey on young, inexperienced writers who aren't very informed about publishing, so I was wary at first. While I still query whether fiction can be written, rewritten, submitted to you, accepted, contracts exchanged, edited and copyedited in time for the book's release, time will prove me wrong, I'm sure. I'm happy to see that you are a bona fide small publisher with bookstore placement. :)

Random avatar

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am
itsabook says...

Merlin34 wrote:This seems interesting, but I'm not entirely sure what the theme is supposed to be. Is it a story told form the POV of someone who goes to music festivals?

But I had an idea gnawing at the back of my mind that could work with this, so I would like to do it.

The story could be written of the pov of a festivalgoer but also from the pov of a well known artist or a member of a young band playing for the first time on a big festival.....it's what the author inspires most.....Peter

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate