z

Young Writers Society

please answer this! i need help!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 am
Wolfdaemon says...

okay, i im in a fix! i need to know if i should write a story in modern times or medieval! please help me!
You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles.James 2:19
http://dragcave.net/user/Roma-Gypsy
^ you should so click this.... :)

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:42 am
Kamas says...

Well, it depends on your taste really. What do you prefer?
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 am
foxfire says...

tell me the idea...and i can judge
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 am
Snoink says...

Write about whatever you want. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 am
sugarxsnow says...

Modern or medieval, depends on how good the plot is. Let us on your idea. I'll help you decide.
"A fish bit my hand this morning, and everything became trippy. Now with this coke and this cherry, I can beautifully rule the world!"

-Dino, @ Dino and Cake's Adventures in La-La Land (Coming Soon)

PS: "Alice in Wonderland" obsessed? You bet.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Sun May 09, 2010 3:13 am
ultraviolet says...

It does depend on what you want, but one word of advice:

Write what you know.

Obvious, but true. If you want to write medieval, write medieval. But ONLY--and I use this word very strongly--only if you know medieval. How much do you know about the middle ages? If you start writing it and it sounds nothing like the middle ages, you are going to lose your credibility and your authenticity. You might be able to dupe some, but a lot of people know SOMETHING about them, and will know you haven't studied up. So if you want to write medieval, either have an already intensive knowledge about it, or study up MAJORLY, or simply walk away and do modern times.

Of course, this is just a suggestion, but one I strongly advise you to take. Nothing ruins a book more than an ignorant writer.

:elephant: LOVE --ULTRAVIOLET
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 am
austenite says...

Write about medieval and modern times. Mix it together!! If you're worried about authenticity, as Ultraviolet said, then plonk your modern character into a medieval setting, because at least that way you have something to fall back on. Let your modern character's knowledge of the middle ages help to fuel your writing.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed May 12, 2010 2:32 am
ReadySetStay says...

Well, you're the only one who can decide that. :D What do you want to write about? If it were me, I'd write about medieval times, but only with tons of research as it's outside my particular comfort zone...but of course, that's really just me. Write about what you feel comfortable with, write about something new...your choice really.

Although, if you're looking for what would be good for the market, I can't really tell you. It's rather unpredictable...
"But, oh what beautiful things I'll wear! What beautiful dresses and hair!I'm lucky to share his bed, especially since I'll soon be dead...
Oh, why, do I wish I was dead?"

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short