z

Young Writers Society

Editing (sigh)

Reviews: 4
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am
danster724 says...

I'm in the process of editing the novel I began during NaNo 2008. I'm very proud of the story but editing is coming slowly, I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips on editing effectively so I won't need to pour over it a billion times to get it right. I'm really excited to finish this guys and I'll probably post it on the site when it's finished. That's about it, thanks.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

Editing is all about going it over a thousand times, though! I've rewritten the beginning to my novel 16 or so times. Each rewrite, I'm happy with it. Then the story progresses and I learn more; I'm not as happy with the beginning. I've had to resist editing that much, since I want to finish this novel, but I do know I'll be editing a ton.

So, don't worry about getting it perfect the first time. Chances are, you'll have to go through 3+ drafts before you get something you really really like. Just keep going, finding out what you like and don't, and bring it to a point you're happy with. Then, learn a bit more, and go back to looking at the draft again. Repeat.

In short? Just edit to the best of your abilities, and see where you go from there. :)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:06 pm
Sureal says...

My tip: put it aside for a while (say - a month or so), and don't look at it/think of it all during this time.

That'll help you come to the novel with a fresh pair of eyes, and hopefully make it easier to edit.
I wrote the above just for you.

Reviews: 3
Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 pm
Livia says...

Backing up Sureal's point, here is an article I read.
http://writeitsideways.com/unforgivable ... g-mistake/
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 am
Snoink says...

Come up with specific tasks. Like, "I need to rewrite this chapter." Or, "I need to change this description." And systematically go through them.

Also, don't try to delude yourself into making something work when it obviously doesn't want to. It'll save you lots of time!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet