z

Young Writers Society

What's Your Writing Style?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 am
sugarxsnow says...

My writing style? Erm... Can't really say, but it sort of goes like this.

I usually write in a sort of taunting way... like a children's book. Well, you get the idea. Lots of description and imagery, some metaphorical mumbo-jumbo here and there, and witty characters. I have a fetish for formal English used in hilarious and epic manners, as well as witty commentaries, so now you have a vague idea about what my stories are made of. I also love to make up new dimensions, new worlds, new creatures. Adventures. But I have a problem with tense and plot consistency, because I love twists, and all of my ideas are spontaneous. In short, I'm an impulsive writer, which makes my life fun, because it's so random you won't know what to expect from it next. XD

I enjoy repetition in poetry. Dark imagery is prominent in mine. I also write in haikus, about nature and human psych.

So there. Who wants cookies? I have some right here.
"A fish bit my hand this morning, and everything became trippy. Now with this coke and this cherry, I can beautifully rule the world!"

-Dino, @ Dino and Cake's Adventures in La-La Land (Coming Soon)

PS: "Alice in Wonderland" obsessed? You bet.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm
Breezy says...

I write a lot of short stories. A lot. Penned a couple of novels for Nanowrimo, and I write a ton of poetry and protest songs. I'm glad I've finally found my voice. It's slightly sarcastic, satirical, heavy on social commentary and symbolism. It can be crude. It's dark humor most of the time peppered in with deep emotional scenes, typically about friendship, and often(for some reason) about bromance. I love to write bromance. Why! I don't know, but I like to rock that Kirk and Spock thing.

My focus is characters and storytelling; the richer the characters, the easier it is for them to drive the plot along, because heaven knows I have no clue what the plot of a story is until my boys and girls start acting like they've got minds of their own. It's really easy to get swallowed whole by a good character, and then they just write themselves... It's like being possessed.

In short stories, I usually come up with a concept - a kid who's half-bug, a restaurant that serves human meat to a food critic - and run with it. Everything else reveals itself afterward.

In poetry, the focus tends to be more raw emotion, curse words crop up, and I hate vague poetry. I try and keep it like somebody's thought process without losing you to meaningless amphigory, you know?

I like to write spontaneously, expressively, and my work is heavy with mood and emotions. While characters thoughts are often analyzed, a lot of the time I'll use small gestures to make a big point - "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" sort of thing - My writing is aimed at intellectuals. I WANT you too look for meaning. I WANT you to question everything I put down. I want it to make the gears in your head turn.

So if he "looks at his shoes for a long time" or "lowers his eyes", it's not just for the heck of it. Gestures are very important in my writing. A flick of the wrist, kicking a rock, twiddling your thumbs, chewing your nails... They're indications to what's going on in these folks heads.

I dunno. I just dunno. This has really got me thinking.
Winchester Cathedral - You're bringin' me down...
You stood and you watched as my baby left town.

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:41 am
Karsten says...

Stori wrote:Karsten-- you sound like you might enjoy Maximum Ride. XD

Thanks for the recommendation! I've never tried any James Patterson before, and if I pick up Maximum Ride I can call it research for my YA novel. :D

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm
Merlin34 says...

I try and go for a style that tells you what's going on without being overly flowery.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:59 pm
MagnusBane says...

Most of my writing is short stories and Chapter 1s that never get past 20 pages. I finished my first novel for NaNoWriMo a couple months ago and it's a complete mess, but it's my mess. :) Poetry? So not my talent. I try to stay as far away from it as possible.

I usually focus more on my characters when I write than anything else. Once I have my characters developed, everything else starts to come together - plot, dialogue, everything. And I love when the characters start taking over the story and doing unexpected things.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Reviews: 1
Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 pm
bmat says...

Hmm, well I'm so glad you asked!
I can't describe my writing style because I'm unsure of what it is. My writing style expresses how I'm feeling at the time; which is constantly changing. When I describe places or feelings I often use descriptive words and can really make the reader understand the mood I am in. Although, I am bad about going on for too long about one thing. There's always just so much i want to say, but I'm working on it.
great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,
and small minds discuss people.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm
Fishr says...

Ummm...

No comment. :xd:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:34 am
Mochi says...

I have no clue what my style is. My writing usually focuses on the characters more than I do the plot, I describe what's necessary and try to avoid what isn't. My plots tend to be either sci-fi or fantasy, or both, and I try to make it as realistic as possible despite all that.
Vous trouvez l'océan trop clair, trop noir, trop bleu ;
Vous détestez le ciel parce qu'il montre Dieu ;
-Victor Hugo «À ceux qui sont petits»

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato