z

Young Writers Society

I got an idea, but which way do I go?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:29 am
PenNPaper says...

I just started out planning this story, I haven't wrote it out yet.

It's about the MC, who is orphaned and a guy, who becomes his master, brings him up in a school, where the MC learns how to fight. So one day, the MC is called to be the chosen one, the one that will kill the bad guy, which is the king, and bring peace to the world.

So i dont know if I should follow something like the Eragon series, where Eragon learns to fight as he journeys, but the only thing is the MC already knows how to fight. Or if I should follow something like the Avatar series, where the Aang already knows how to fight. The thing is, the MC in my story fights the same way as Aang, using elements. So i'm not sure if it would be better to follow the Avater version or not.

Please do offer some suggestions, thanks. :D

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:44 am
AquaMarine says...

If I were you I would go the way of Avatar. Firstly, your character already knows how to fight, so therefore him learning to fight is a little redundant. However, does he already know how to use the elements? Or does he just know basic fighting techniques? Because obviously, if he hasn't used the elements before then he will need to learn how to use them. But my advice is to just choose the path that seems most realistic and interesting for your character and plot.

Hope this helps!

~Amy
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 am
Snoink says...

You should do something entirely different. ;)

So he should already know how to fight, but in one of his fights, he should break an arm or something, making him slightly incapacitated, meaning there is no possible way for him to fight with as much skill as he has learned. In one of my stories (which is NOT posted on YWS... don't even look, lol), I did something like this: to use magic, they have to sing, but if someone disforms your tongue, you lose your magic.

Obviously, you probably don't want to do it to that extent. However, characters need to go through some real conflict, and what better way to make them go through this conflict than to make them struggle and earn their way? And this also varies the struggle. Instead of the struggle being all about, "Can I defeat the next bad guy?" it can be "Can I be able to sneak into the castle as a guard with my arm broken like this?" See? Variety is the spice of life, and it can transform your story into something that seems original, which always is a good thing.

Good luck! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:32 pm
Lydia1995 says...

I think that you should make something up that is original and yet not completely unrealistic. Your character already knows how to fight so how about them needing to learn another skill which they find very difficult.
The other skill could be to learn an ancient language like in Eragon or simply to learn to ride a horse to get from one place to another.
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13