z

Young Writers Society

Connecting Ideas

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:14 pm
Kelcia says...

I've always had trouble connecting the random ideas of mine into a coheasive whole. I'm sure that loads of you have the same problem, given the attention span of today's generation. Anyway, I find that if I write the little bits and pieces down, or let my fingers just type out 'junk', as I call the random little bits of my story that I come out with, I will eventually have a pretty basic structure of the story, or snippets of it at least. Then comes filling in the gaps between things. That's the hardest part, in my opinion, but not too hard. In the process of doing so, the connections may change the story, and you'll have to start over, which annoys me, slightly. Anyway, that's my way of writing. I'm curious to see how other people write.

So, if anyone has any tips or anything... or has a comment or something... I don't actually know how this website works yet, so... anyway, please tell me your thoughts!

-Kelcia
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:19 pm
MKate says...

Hi, Kelcia- Welcome to YWS!

When I write, usually the first things I'm sure of in the story is the beginning and the end. In the gap, basically anything can happen, as long as it all winds down to what I have decided will be the end result. The middle's my filler :lol:

If I'm writing something longer than your average story, well, then the situation changes.
That's when filler becomes annoying. It nags and tugs at you and you know it has to be in your story to make it all work, but you really don't want to bother with it until later. So you don't. But you have to make sure to do it eventually, otherwise your story's not going anywhere.

When I've got something long to write, I basically do the same thing you do- get all the main parts down, then fill in the gaps. The trick is that I have so many main parts, that I can make my fillers really boring with nothing happening in them to mess up my plot, then have a main part on the next page to make up for it :D

Now poems are a whole different subject entirely- but I won't go into those right now...

So, as you can see, I kind of have a twisted way of writing- but hey, it works for me! :wink:

PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat ^_^

~Mel
"Don't say 'the old lady screamed'- bring her on and let her scream." -Mark Twain

Writing is like traveling- you never know what's going to happen until you get there.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm
Critiq says...

A new book from the guy that wrote Lolita exposed this idea very same idea to me. Namely, just writing a story from every direction. Doing the scenes that come to you first, and then connecting them. I'll definitely try this sometime in the future.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

I start with writing down all the main scenes I have on index cards and filling in the gaps. My inner editor goes nuts when I actually write all the scenes out of order, so I'll write everything in mostly chronological order. And even then, I still write in new scenes all the time.

If you need any detailed help on YWS, don't be hesitant to ask me, or any other coloured name you see around! We're all happy to help. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf