z

Young Writers Society

Ranting

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:07 am
airbear320 says...

Okay guys, feel free to completely ignore this, but I just have to rant somewhere or I'm going to implode.

I hate querying. Hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. Hate. It's so scary and so completely pointless! I'm just feeling so discouraged right now. I'm at that point in my life where I have to decide my future. So do I go with the safe job or the one which I really love? I want to go with writing, but I haven't gotten any sort of positive response to my queries or anything. My dream of being published looks like it's heading down the crapper.

So I've been doing all this publishing stuff, sending queries, looking up agents and publishers. But it's just gotten me so bummed out, you guys! It's totally drained me of any self confidence in my writing or desire to even continue my books. Do you ever feel like that? Don't get me wrong. I love writing. LOVE writing. But do you ever feel like, what's the point? What in the world is the point of me writing all these books? What's the point of putting myself through all this crap?

That's how I'm feeling at the moment. I am feeling extremely, extremely frustrated.

:thud:

Anyway, I just needed to rant. And don't worry about me. This will pass in a few days. See, because I can't give up writing even if I wanted to. It's how I make sense of things and make myself feel better.

Thanks for letting me rant. :)
"Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds."
-Gordon B. Hinckley

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:21 pm
Tyd says...

Well how long have you been sending out query letters? If you've been at it for months and gotten no where, then it's probably best to look at your MS again and see what can be improved. Have you gotten any replies? If you have, do they give any tips and improvements to your story? If you haven't got any replies yet, it may just be bad timing, bad luck or the agents you have queried are extremely busy.

Most writers have another job anyway; it's very difficult to have a stable income for just writing (unless you go and write the next Twilight :)). I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Pursue other jobs, but keep working and keep writing too.
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 pm
Krupp says...

Um...if you're 18, then you really have nothing to worry about. You're going to have to get a normal job. No one becomes a writer straight out of college, and if it has happened, I'm willing to bet it doesn't happen often.

Nothing wrong with getting a normal, every-day job until you get published. That's my plan. It may just be my life. In any case, don't quit. Keep pursuing the opportunity to become a full-fledged writer. Some take longer than others to become that. Just because you're not getting any positive feedback now doesn't mean you won't get critical acclaim down the road.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:17 pm
Lucinda says...

I can't really offer any technical advice, since I've never been published. But can I offer some encouragement?
Keep going. If you really want to be published, there basically isn't a whole lot that can stop you from, eventually, being published. I think Harry Potter was rejected some 40 times? I'm not too sure on the facts there, though. But anyway, just keep at it and try to stay positive! Agents are people, too. (I think.) :)
Also, I've read quite a few books on getting published and the like, so if you want any reccomendations about reading material, PM me.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42