z

Young Writers Society

Realization of unsure

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:51 am
Bloo says...

I change my mind, I got a new idea I am going with, less complicated.
Last edited by Bloo on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:27 pm
Jetpack says...

Hey, Bolt. These all sound like my sort of books, so I'll give you my opinion on them. As this is NaNoWriMo, though, I think the quality of the idea is not necessarily all that relevent. ;)

1. Some of the wording in these little summaries is making it difficult for me to understand what your meaning is, but I've got the general idea. This could work, but the idea of a Chosen One is still coming into play. It's been done often before because it works, but it's not going to be majorly original. Also, world-building for NaNo could be a very tricky business, unless you've done this a lot before. You have a lot of different races, who all need unique characteristics which you'll have to stick by, and then you have two worlds to write with. I suppose it just depends on whether you think you can sustain that and whether it's going to be fun to write, but I don't like this idea so much.

2. I hate the idea of searching for a "Magical something of Something". I always have done, though I don't know why. Again, it's not exactly original. I don't understand how your characters can hate magic, and yet use it to take magic down. That just begs the question, "What exactly do they hate about magic so much that they still use it themselves?" It would be more interesting if you had human enemies take a stand against magic, still as enemies, and tip the balance in their favour for a time. Don't know how you'd do it, but it'd be good to read. Also, Pries? Don't just pluck names out of thin air, if you can help it. Unless it's a surname, I'd advise you find something unusual, but not totally implausible as a first name.

Evan Spade, better known as the amazing Bolt (yes I know that is egotistical).

xD xD xD That's just awesome.
Moving on though. I like this one best so far. I'd want to see a bit of life within the travelling carnival/circus before we take Evan's POV off on the run. I think you should give him a clear goal, a destination to reach, someone he wants to see, perhaps? A lost love? Something, or else he won't have a direction - running from something is no good if he has no idea of where he'd going, because your plot will meander all over the place.

So what happens when he is faced with a task that has him dig up with in his own small world he finds it harder and harder to hide his Demon bonds from the ones he took the powers on to keep.

Your wording lost me here. I haven't got much idea of what you mean. Does Eric have powers? How did he end up doing errands for Demons? What are these errands? Having said that, I think the idea of Demons could be fun if you experiment with them. You read Percy Jackson, right? Experiment with the Demons the way Rick Riordan - is that right? - experiments with the gods. If you can work around having them being entirely motiveless beings of evil, do so. Perhaps they were human once? Unless your Demons are a la Darren Shan's Demonata, in which case, characterisation probably won't be an issue.

5. This is a bit of a different turn from the other ones. I like it, but again, it's a lot of plotting. You have to know the specifics of this crash and all, I think, even if you don't write about it exactly. That's never fun. I would maybe restrict this to an island of sorts, or just a city, and work with someone burning it down or something equally simplistic. Great Fire of London sort of thing.

I'm leaning in favour of 3. I don't think any of these are particularly original, what with all the "powers" books on the market, but don't be discouraged by that, since it's NaNo. If you want to write it, go ahead and do it. :D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:00 pm
Bloo says...

Sorry about all the unclear, I wrote these half asleep, fighting to keep my eyes open.

1.This is a brought back failed attempt of a series of books, of which this world had been completely planned out to the letter, plus world building is my favorite part of a new world fantasy. So no problem there.

2. The reason people hate the magic is because of in the past it caused destruction. Now they fear it, and some are jealous of it. Pries has a deep rooted hatred for anything magic but is smart enough to know he needs stronger magic to beat them. His own team is made up of a Dim wit demon he can control, a sleazy immortal tired of life, and a necromancer whose life really starts with death so they don;t care if they kill half a world.

3. Evan will travel with the circus for while before leaving, have a show, so the nature his nature with his own kind. When he does run he gets caught by the bounty hunter, and when trying to run he finds the time manipulator, who won;t let him run from that town. So whenever he tries to, time basically freezes, and he is just brought right back to the center of action.

4. The reason he took a deal with demons was because his life fell apart around him, and he was visited by one when his life would have made him dead/ Eric does have a power, just no control over it, he is a werewolf, but the demon he made a deal with controls when he transforms, and his actions in that form. The errands are to steal from gods, kill people who ditched their demon deals (or other enforcements), and try and make people take deals. His errand, not so sure of yet, actually, I keep shooting them down.

5. The reason it crashes is the virus they gave killed off anyone over 55, and under 25, and that crashes the economy without their buys. He starts off gaining power in one, yeah. And if it was a single city he would not care enough, he only does it because no one else is there to do it. He would blame the police for not doing their work, or tell himself they would crack it eventually.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler