z

Young Writers Society

Getting down to the heart of it

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 pm
tanith14 says...

Frustration. That is the only feeling I feel when I sit down to write these days. I am a college student who has sold out to journalism and sports writing because it is "realistic." I haven't written a good story in a good year and I am tired of being realistic. I need inspiration to bring the insanity of fiction back! Every time I sit down to continue my 34 page story I find myself unable to focus. I have two other stories I want to get down on paper but whenever I sit down to write them I lose all my motivation.
:thud:

Someone inspire me!
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:31 pm
Krupp says...

It would seem I've found a kindred spirit on YWS. Yeah man, I've been like this for almost a straight year now. Every novel I'd been working on up until this point has been thrown away. The most I could do was maybe write a poem at one point or another. It was killing me too.

As far as inspiration goes, I'm not sure what you're into, but I know that what got me started again was music. If that will help you, then I suggest you check out these bands, and see if they can bring you some inspiration. You might know some of these, and then again, you may not. Some are metal, some aren't:

Grails (Post-rock/Middle-Eastern/Jazz/Experimental)
Russian Circles (Instrumental rock)
Rosetta (Progressive metal/ambient/experimental)
Isis (Post-metal)
Tool (Progressive rock)
Yawning Man (Stoner-Surf-Rock)
Zodiak (Progressive Metal/Pyschadelic rock)
Tim Hecker (Ambient)
OM (Middle Eastern Doom Rock)
...and if music won't do it for you, then my next best advice would be to forget about it for just a little while. Read other peoples' work and critique it. Go out and try a new sport or hobby, something that's going to test your mettle. For me, my new hobby now is boxing, and I can tell you, it's really inspired me.

But as it is, inspiration comes from more than just these few things. You could take a hike into nature, take a road trip with your mates out to someplace insane, or attend concerts or events that you'd usually never attend. These things will help push the creativity back into you. It worked for me, anyway.

Hope that helped, mate.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:23 pm
tanith14 says...

Thanks for the help! I have a plan! I think if I start a storybook that might help me explore my creative side again. Feel free to join in! The title is The Ecstasy of God: A Mercenary Tale.
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

Have you met a cow or another large animal?
— Liminality