z

Young Writers Society

My Latest Attempt At A Novel

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 am
Ross says...

I've done about nine attempts at a novel and I recently wrote down an idea I'd been mulling over for four or five months. The only problem I really have is if it is really that intriguing or does it belong only on depressed people's bookshelves.

The cast of main characters are consisted of three same-sex couples: Dustin Sheppard and Ryan Walker; Kelly Shannon and Leona Collins; Adam Wainwright and Zack Johnson. The setting is Seattle. The genre is romantic LGBT lit.

I've made their love stories different. Here's a brief rundown of each...

Ryan is a new arrival on Mercer Island, WA from Dallas, TX. He's a sophomore and a gay teenager trying to build confidence about his sexuality. So he goes to a queer youth group and Dustin Sheppard, a senior at Mercer Island High School (which is the same school that Ryan goes to...) and captain of the soccer team, walks in. Dustin has been having "homosexual feelings" and tries to figure out what they mean. Thus, Ryan and Dustin come together in an awkward and secret relationship. The closest one that comes to cliche.

Kelly Shannon is a music major at University of Washington who is a extremely talented vocalist on par with Celine Dion and Leona Lewis. Leona Collins is also a music major, but with her focus on songwriting...(think a female Ryan Tedder) They come together and connect in a relationship through their passion in music. The most humorous one. :smt005 Although it does have its serious moments.

Adam Wainwright is a closeted Christian living in uptown Seattle. Zack Johnson is a transfer to Adam's school and an openly gay teen. Through the attempts of Adam's best friend, Adam and Zack slowly grow intimate. (And intimate, in this case, doesn't mean sex.) And while they grow closer, they argue on the views of homosexuality and such. The most controversial one. And I usually don't do controversial. :mrgreen:

Dang, and I thought it was gonna be brief. :thud:

Okay, so these are the love stories. It's very character based and a bit melodramatic, since they are all teenagers (Ryan is the youngest at sixteen, Kelly's the oldest at 22.) and a bit sulky.

Please let me know what you think. I've finished the outlines and I want to get opinions before I start writing.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:46 pm
Maddyc says...

I really like this idea (probably because I think gay fiction totally rules). It's a very intersting topic to me and I would definately read this if it were on the shelf.
I'm writing a novel right now where my main character has to come out, though this isn't the main focus in the story. It sounds a little similar to your thrid sub-plot actually. Sexuality is a really complicated thing and it took me ages to really understand my characters feelings about it, but I think I'm there now. Good luck with this, if you put any of it up I will be first to read it.
~Maddy

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 pm
Lorrilrakest. says...

I'd read it.

It sounds very interesting - mainly because of the three aspects of it all.

But yes, do write it - it sounds like a unique and intriguing piece.

But of course, get your research done - i suppose it can be tricky to do and easy to get insensitive.
"Who needs God when you've got me?"
- Jessica Sanders

"Didn't I throw you out a window?"
- Jessica Sanders

www.drizzlefilm.com

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

Your premise sounds great. I would say, though, that you should have some important-but-not-as-important characters be straight. Or else it feels, I don't know, too gimicky.
It's obvious you already thought about differentiating the couples so kudos to you.
It sounds like a fabulous idea; I say go for it.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser