z

Young Writers Society

Is this a cool idea?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:30 am
Merlin34 says...

So, I thought of this world, Parisova, which is a parallel world similar to Earth, except the planet has a lot more water. There are five continents, all separated by water. I was starting with just one, but then I made the others. I was thinking of having one story set in each of them.

Tarenan, the largest single land mass. Mostly desert and mountains, with plains on the edges.
Story would involve a boy setting out into the desert to save his kidnapped sister.

Nyrenia, the southernmost continent. Has tundra in the south, mountains and forests in the north. The five islands are divided into Upper and Lower Nyrenia, which are at war.
Story would involve a boy being drafted into Upper Nyrenia's military, but soon deserting.

Raziant, three islands far to the north. The top island is completely icebound, but the two southern islands are mainly tundra and taiga.
Story would involve a young boy who sets out with his dead father's hunting dog and a sled to find a scale from a Jormun, the pale blue serpents who rule the frozen seas. Said scales are very valuable and rare, and a good one could give him five years of ease and comfort.

Sarsalia, a forested and swampy mass in the center. Haven't thought of a story yet.

The last is Avilandra. It is mostly prairie, but with some forest and mountain. The story here would actually be a duology, the first part of which I have almost completed as Xavier's Quest.

So, do you think that this is a good idea, or not?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 am
View Likes
Krupp says...

I think the fact that you're coming up with a storyline for each continent is a huge challenge, but I"m doing something similar with a story of mine, where it's two novellas, two characters with different points of view and different struggles, but essentially the same story. It's a great idea, mate. Follow through with it. It sounds like something that you could really make out to be incredible.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:48 pm
Maddyc says...

It would be cool if you could make it a bit like that book Guliver's Travels where something about this alternative world reflects something about our own. In that example the new country he discovers are having a war about which way you should open an egg, small end up or large end up - and this is similar to the petty disputes between religion going on at the time. It could be a political satire at the same time as being this cool fantasy/sci-fi (or whatever your intentions are). Just an idea...oh God now I want to write it!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:50 am
Bickazer says...

Go for it--it could be a marvelous exploration of how different societies work and how the societies effect people and their worldviews (I'm imagining that in order to write each novel you need to immerse yourself in a different set of ideals and beliefs to make the culture seem convincing), and would especially be interesting if the characters all met and had to deal with their differing cultures and such...and like Maddyc said, you could add a social commentary element as well. Make it more than an adventure story.

The one thing I'm questioning is why all the main characters are "young boys". It's not so bad to have one main character a standard teenage hero, but when it's all of them it gets a bit much. Think about varying the protagonist types a bit--have a girl be an MC, then a grizzled old army veteran, etc. Experiment with writing different kinds of protagonists. That's what I love best about stories like this, which span a large area and (maybe) a long period of time; you can easily write from many different protagonists' POV's. It reminds me a bit of a project of my own, in which the protagonists are alternatively a genius programmer, a down-on-his-luck rocker (who later becomes more successful), daughter of another genius programmer, a young rebel, and a politican. The more POV's you can write from, the more diverse, interesting, and realistic the world will seem.

Good luck on this, it's a great idea. ^^
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 pm
Lorrilrakest. says...

It's a very intriguing idea!

But maybe, if its not too much work, you should link them all together.

So subtle hints that something Universal is going to happen ... and all the characters have some importance to it.

So maybe, after the five novellas/novels - u shud do a final one where something really cool happens.
"Who needs God when you've got me?"
- Jessica Sanders

"Didn't I throw you out a window?"
- Jessica Sanders

www.drizzlefilm.com

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:36 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

That is the coolest idea I have heard in a long, long time. Honestly.
It would be superfool if you played with cause and effect; starting with one continent and having things going on there affect the continents over here.
I would read this book. Honestly; I would buy it off a bookshelf.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm
SakuraFallsSweetly♥ says...

I am actually jeleous! This is a great idea! Go for it. Sounds very interesting, please PM me when you ever post it.
The only true failure, is when you give up. ♥

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke