z

Young Writers Society

My New Book Ideas. (WHich do you think?)

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 pm
SakuraFallsSweetly♥ says...

So these are just some of my ideas for new books I might write. Hypothetically of course, I am not a famous book writer (Sighs!) So please just read and tell me what you think.

So this one I was thinking of doing a whole Angels/Demons thing. I was watching the video for Run This Town (Rihanna, JayZ and Kanye West) and inspiration took me here: A group of erm, Demons (I have not yet gotten a name for their group!) must fight in the darkest, most powerful war the world shall ever witness. They have to lead the humans into the DARKNESS! Hence the whole Run This Town Idea. They wanna rule or something. (lol) I just thought "I am so sick of people doing angel demon stories and AWLWAYS writing in the good ones perspective. Why do they always write in their version? I personally think it'd be a lot more interesting and challenging to do it in the Demon's POV. Different thoughts, and more fun because you get to think totally differently. Getting into character would be easier too as there are loads of villians and stuff in movies.Lame? Rip it apart! Please!

This one I was thinking of going into a whole hurt/comfort/angst/romance kinda thing: A 16 year old teenage girl becomes caught up in a dark cult. She won't listen to her friends or her family. She is becoming obsessed with what she thinks is real and is becoming both mentally and physically unhealthy. Can she be saved before things get even more out of hand?

OK, OK. I know it's cheesy. But are you ever just humming along to some tunes and inspiration just, like, hits you in the head? It's just like "hey what are you sitting here for? You've got a book to write!" Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anywho, I will stop rambling now. Tell me any suggestions please. Love Sakura. (the one who nobody knows the real name MUAHAHAHA!)
Last edited by SakuraFallsSweetly♥ on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true failure, is when you give up. ♥

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm
Maddyc says...

Sure, I get that all the time. Usually late at night when I'm lying in bed, it's a great feeling when you get really excited about something.

I like the second idea better, probably because I'm not really into fantasy stories much and I don't 'get' the whole angels/vampires/whatever stuff. But I quite like the idea of a dangerous cult...that could be really interesting. What kind of cult are you thinking about? I love themes that deal with serious brainwashing, I think you could really take off on an idea like that. So I'd say go with that one because it sounds interesting.
Maddy~

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I like the second option better because it has more potential.

If you go with the first, I suggest you tell it from the perspective of a human. Probaly a human with sinfull ways. (by the way angels are not fantasy they have nothing to do with vampires, even if you don't believe in such things their religious)

The second idea could be really good though, it could be a pschological sort of mind game if you do it right.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 pm
Blink says...

I've moved this to Writers Corner. The Fiction forums are for posting the stories themselves. :wink:

Thanks,
-Blink
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 am
Rosendorn says...

I'll give you general thoughts on both ideas, then my preference.

First Idea: That idea, to be honest, has been done countless times before. And since you are taking it off Angels and Demons, a book that has now fallen into the "cliche" category because of it's popularity (this might and probably will be short lived, but it'll still take a couple of years at least for that to die off) you'd need to really work at making the plot and general idea non-cliche. At the moment the concept is an okay starting point (I have seen many a cliched plot be fantastic with the right elements) but keep in mind it is a starting point. You'd need to put a lot of work in, but it could turn into a really original idea. (Start with setting. An unusual world/setting is the easiest way to throw some twists into a basic plot)

Second Idea: What concerns me here is the word "angst" in the description. I have not seen angst done well in modern fiction, or any fiction, and it can really turn me off to a character. I like reading about strong characters, not people who tend to break down and think their life is horrible at every turn. It, as well, has the possibility of turning into something great. You'd just need to watch the drama level in the work.

My Preference/Suggestion: I think the second idea is more solid from the start. No major cliches that I can see (however, I'm not sure how much that is saying to take that line with a grain of salt) and so long as you watch the drama/angst, and make sure to have a really compelling character (we would be following her, at least partically, into this darkness, so we'd need some sympathy for her) and maybe even make the viewpoint character a side character, like her best friend. Then we wouldn't be going so deep, and there's an extra twist of the best friend (maybe) trying to fight the darkness herself.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:09 pm
jessiica-x says...

I definitely know what you mean by something just hitting you. It happened to me the other day but I got so frustrated because I couldn't put it into words :(. Anyway I like both of your ideas but I have to say I'm leaning more towards your second idea, I don't know why though :L.

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 pm
KJ says...

Hey, I'm KJ. Personally I like the second idea better just because you seem to have develoepd it more. You have an idea of where it will go. The first option is not even an outline yet and it could turn into anything. So go for it. Write on :)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 pm
Lorrilrakest. says...

Definitely the second idea is my preference.

Maybe if you feel passionate about both of them, you could mix them. Maybe the "Cult" is actually the Angels. And the girl is struggling whether they are real or not.

I just merged the two together, dont slate it too much :D
"Who needs God when you've got me?"
- Jessica Sanders

"Didn't I throw you out a window?"
- Jessica Sanders

www.drizzlefilm.com

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:34 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I think you should make the cult a demon-worshipping cult; you could play with names and sins and have supercool anti-communion rituals...
Second one is the best, hands down.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird