z

Young Writers Society

Novel Idea, HELP!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:13 pm
chellelynn says...

Okay so here's the thing. I'm dying to write something long, so i've decided to try my hand at writing a novel... for the second time. The first time I got just over a hundred pages and haven't touched it since, it's been months and months now. So tonight I sat down at my computer and just started typing and this is what came out:

From a distance immeasurable from their immediate stances, two men stood still as the stone statues that could be found throughout the park. It was nearly impossible for the gentlemen to clearly make out the other’s face, dim as the street lights were. Lining the suburban street on the far side of the park were rows upon rows of identical houses. Though neither had arrived together, they each held the same reason for appearing this night. In short, quick strides the two men closed the distance between them and carried on walking.
“Atticus,” the older man said, nodding his head in a small greeting. Standing beside him, Runstork was able to see the delicate features of the young boys’ face. He could not be much older than a child, early twenties at the most. The agency seemed to be easing on what had once been a gruelling procedure to pick an agent. Though he appeared at ease with the current situation, the line of lightly beaded perspiration along the boy’s brow revealed the truth to Runstork.
“Have you got the papers?” Atticus responded, allowing his eyes to steal a glance at the non conspicuous briefcase clutched in the man’s left hand. This was his first mission, as the agency so fondly deemed it. His success, or his failure, would prove whether or not Atticus was the most suitable candidate for the job. While the former would bring him acceptance and admiration from those beneath him, the latter would bring brutal treatment as punishment or death.

Now I know it's not alot, AT ALL, but I figure I should be planning a plot out or something. Thing, is, I don't really have one. All I have so far is that there's this Agency, located in various places in every country around the world. It's an illegal organization, kept secret from the world, and I want them to participate in awful things ranging anywhere from stealing thousands of dollars to kidnapping a wealthy family's daughter to planning the assassination of an entire family. I've decided to make Atticus one of the newest members, and young. Thing is, he's going to hate being a part of the Agency, and will eventually fall in love with one of the girls he's supposed to be kidnapping and blah blah blah. See, the thing is though, I have no ideas on what The Agency's goals are? What are they supposed to be working towards with all this evil? I kind of want them to want to take over the world, overcoming the government one country at a time... buuut I don't know haha. Any ideas? Opinions?
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:48 am
PhoenixBishop says...

It's only my opinion but to take over the world just for the sake of taking over the world makes no sense. I think the Agency needs to have loftier goals. Make their reasons for doing what they do be for the better

What I mean by that is, that to them their doing what must be done to "save the world" They believe that the current government is corrupt and believe that war, hunger and all the horrible things in the world are caused by incompetent leaders. Of course over throwing the government would take lots of money. Hence kidnapping for ransom and such. To them evil acts are necessary to bring peace.

This can be really good if you do some political research.

I also thing you should come up for a name for the agency outside of the agency.

pm me if you have any questions.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:31 am
thedelphinater says...

It sounds pretty good so far. Kind of 1984-esque. I like Amon360's idea, though I might make the Agency a bit more flawed and evil. If there are leaders and hierarchies in the Agency, I would have a sort of secret power struggle going on. Like, the leaders of the Agency sort of fight amongst themselves and all have their own plans, and are only going along with the idea of a better world so that they can gain more power. I'm not sure what sort of route you wanted the Agency to go in, if you wanted it to be good or evil, but that's just my suggestion.
So it goes.

19 Reviews

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:43 am
chellelynn says...

Thanks, you both are helping me figure this out in my brain haha.
I thought the exact same thing as you regarding them needing an actual reason to be trying to gain control of the world, Amon360. I sort of feel like in the beginning, the founders of the agency were pure and honest in what they were doing in order to better the world. But, over time, as new generations arose, the member`s could become greedy and evil by nature. Ah, this is just too frustrating. It makes no sense in my head!
Also, thedelphinator, I feel that the Agency should be leaning towards a more evil route, and get a thrill off the torture that they put on citizens, which is why Atticus would be absolutely disgusted about being a part of the Agency.
When you say, only going along with the idea of a better world so that they can gain more power, do you mean that the `better world` thing was just being used as something that would be an acceptable excuse for the horrors that they are putting people through. That is what I get out of that, anyways.
This is all just starting to confuse me haha. I just need to clear up what their motives are, and then it will start making more sense.

PS - does anyone know how to stop this: É from happening when I try to put a question markÉ
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars

19 Reviews

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:35 am
chellelynn says...

I'm sorry to double post, but for anyone who is still interested or willing to share their opinions, I
have figured out this much about The Agency:

Founded over a century ago, during a time of international conflict and unimaginable suffering, an organization known as The Agency came into being. The founder himself, Jonathon Wilks, declared The Agency an organization meant to bring harmony to all of the nations on Earth. For the first year or two, everything Jonathon had imagined went smoothly and the changes were becoming noticeable. Not wanting to bring attention to himself and the other members merely for good deeds, each member was notified that The Agency must always be kept a secret from the rest of the world. Nobody would know about it, nobody would ever ask to join. When new members were needed, they would be scouted by the original members. Unfortunately, Jonathon's efforts for peace went to waste when what began as a plan made entirely of good intentions became a plan complete with unlikely concepts of how to save the world. Finding themselves desperate for money, The Agency began partaking in illegal actions thought necessary by the members in order to deliver the peace that they desired. Now, it is the year 2106 and chaos on Earth is raging worse than ever before. With the original founders of The Agency long gone, the present generations have become greedy for power and evil by nature. The goals for The Agency have changed from bringing peace to conquering the world, though the original motto is still used as a means of making The Agency seem more acceptable than it is. The United Nations has, for the most part, fallen apart. The leaders of the countries are not only uncertain and unreliable but targets as well. Everyday citizens are becoming panicked, secret organizations are forming, and war is errupting even in what used to be the quietest, most peaceful of countries as The Agency makes itself known to the world. Third world countries are no longer a distant problem, for the majority of the countries are realizing that poverty and complete totalitarianism is racing upon them quickly.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard