z

Young Writers Society

Where the heck are the reviewers?

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 pm
Chaos Angelfish says...

I don't want to seem selfish and all, but I don't see any reviewing done with my work! That is the main reason I have come to this site to get feed back on my work. I do my part in the reviewing too and it ain't as hard as I thought it would be. I know other people want their work to be reviewed too. Is it because I am an unknown person to the sight or just people don't review work of those with a lower rank?

That's all I got to say, if you feel like reviewing find my post in the other fiction, the Reloaded one!
"Fear what you learn to love; Ironically, fear is what you learn to love"

"Damn her purple eyes," I thought peering into her saddened soul as the tears streaked down her face.

Sinisterly Perceiving the Unperceivable to those who can't see and revealing it to them since 2000.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:37 pm
BigBadBear says...

Hey, Choas.

A good way to get reviews is to go Will Review For Food Thread and post the link of the stories you want to be critiqued in one of the threads the users have made. Here's a tip: while most of the threads are reliable, the ones with more replies and comments are the most reliable users to get your critique done, such as Evi, Antigone and *writewatiwant*.

;)

Also, I'll take a gander at your story. :D

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Hey Chaos ^^ Shina here.

It's okay to be upset about that xD YWS is kind of overflowing lately and reviewing is going slow and there's a lot of output, less input because of July Novel Writing Month. Also, YWS is getting a facelift, so most of the mods and site admins are busy.

Since there's all this business, if you want a professional review from the instructors, post in the will review for food thread. If you want to request a review in mine, just click the link in my signature :P

It's not because you're new, it's simply because you haven't requested a review ;)

Also, don't say that the instructor's job is easy. Reviews and critiques are completely different things. The instructors on this site aren't going to rush through all of the pieces on here and give you some brief comment and label it a review. We do critiques, and we put everything we've got into what we do.

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Chaos!

At the moment, we're all kind of busy because of JulNoWriMo and the new YWS, plus people have promised reviews to people which are the ones they have to do first. You have to be patient about this. Will Review For Food is a good way to get reviews if you're feeling deprived.

Also, you yourself only have four reviews, but three pieces on the site- so really, you should do at least two more reviews before you ask anybody for some on your own work.

I would be happy to do a review for you if you request it in The Stella Shop (link in my signature) and you complete the right amount of reviews yourself first :)

Be patient! Good things come to those who wait, right?

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm
Loose says...

As Sare said, you need to have more reviews done in order to expect reviews in return.

There's meant to be a 2:1 review ratio. Two reviews for each piece you post. That's why the points are in issue,

Don't get greedy, that's not the spirit of YWS.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:01 pm
Sureal says...

Something I don't think anyone has mentioned: a very big factor is how long the story is.

Around 1,000 to 2,000 words will grab you a lot more reviews than the a 3,000 word one (eg. the story you've posted). People on the internet have a very short attention span, and if they click onto a story and see that it's quite long, they'll very likely hit the back button and seek something a little shorter.

Try to keep your chapter posts around 2,000 words. If your chapter is under a 1,000 words, it'll get plenty of attention.

My advice to you: consider posting the Prelude on its own (its shortness should attract reviews), and leave a link at the bottom of it to Chapter One. If you like, you could also split Chapter One into two part, to make it easier to consume in bite-size chunks.

You could also leave a link in your signature to your story, so that anyone who really appreciates a review you've written will be easily able to easily find your story, and give you a review in return.
I wrote the above just for you.

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy