z

Young Writers Society

Writing a Query?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Roo 2 says...

So I've spent some time on AgentQuery, reading their tips and "formulas", and I thought I had it down for when I have to write one, but then I read some samples and I'm not so sure. Like, on AgentQuery, it says to greet your agent ("Dear Ms. So-and-So:"), but then after that the format of your query is supposed to go: hook (a one-sentence summary of your story to get agent's attention), one-paragraph synopses, then writer's bio. But would I really just say "Dear Ms. So-and-So: When 18-year-old Meg moves to the small town of Nephi and falls in love with the charismatic and dark-eyed Colby, she refuses to believe that he's really a werewolf, until one full moonlit night and everything changes." (or whatever the hook is). I mean, I know I wouldn't say something like "I found your ad on AgentQuery.com" or something lame, but do you not introduce yourself a little or your novel or what you're writing about? I'm just sort of confused about them. Help would be nice.

And one more thing totally unrelated, but I couldn't find a forum for where to ask, so....: I'm making my blog right now, but I don't want to stick with their ugly templates for a background. I have seen other YWS bloggers who have customized their own, but mine doesn't let me change out of their pre-made ones. Is my computer just a loser, am I missing something, or is there a key to this? Thank you!!!
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:46 am
Juniper says...

Hi Roo!

So, Blog first>> There's only a few templates you can customize; I think the main ones are Yellow Grey and simple grey. You can simply change the background image and the colors using hexadecimal codes. =D

For querying, you're basically right on! Just begin your letter, addressing the agent formally, and from there, it's basically up to you which specific structure you use. For instance, if you want to [briefly] introduce yourself first, do it.

The key is a WELL WRITTEN query. This include organization. There's no strict format, but you don't want to say,

"Hello Ms. Agent, I am ROO the Second and I wrote a book about a mole who needed to spring cleaning. He tries to start spring cleaning, but gets stuck in a window which leads him down a tunnel. I am X years old, and I am finally finishing my last year in highschool."

Nonsensical much, yes! But there are worse queries than that. So, organize! I would say:

Open first
BRIEF Intro
Hooking line
Synopsis/Summary
Why you'd like this agent.

Or, anything, really. It's up to you. ;)

For some resources:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2144260_write-query-letter.html

http://www.poewar.com/how-to-write-a-query-letter/

The poe war site looks really helpful ^_^

Best luck! Questions? PM!

Juniper
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 am
ankhirke says...

Some people go right bang into the hook, but sometimes, depending on the agent, it's better to introduce yourself first - like when you've met an agent at a conference, or something like that. After all, if they met you before, I'm sure they'd like to know they're dealing with YOU personally.

Course, I never really felt comfortable with the hook up front, so I tend to start with a brief: "I saw your post on this blog", or "I noticed on your website that you were looking for..." It's netted me a few partials.

Take that as you will

~Annie

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:31 pm
Roo 2 says...

Thank you thank you both! :D Both of you were very helpful and I understand it better now. (Well hopefully ;) ) And Juniper, both sites you gave me were gold, you're the best!! :)

Thanks so much,
-Roo
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:32 pm
railway says...

http://queryshark.blogspot.com
This is a site where 'the query shark' goes over query letters and brutally savages them. XDD Well, points out exactly what's wrong with them and whether a publisher would accept or reject the query. It's extremely useful and shows you how to write a query letter and how not to write a query letter.
Oh yes, I'm fine, everything's just wonderful, I'm having the time of my life.

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz