z

Young Writers Society

A Title is Needed

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:28 pm
~Volant~ says...

I really need a title. Badly. Right now I"m just calling it "Demon" which sounds really really lame to me.

It's basically about an inquisitor that goes around buring witches and vampires and demons and such. The MC, Ashtine, knows all of the people he's killing are innocent, normal people. In fact, one girl that was burned at the stake had refused to marry a nobleman the day before her trial. And the boy she loved was accused of being a vampire and also burned. Suspicious much?

Anyway, a strange boy shows up on her doorway with "demon" claw makrs all over him and "demon" eyes. Ashtine doesn't believe in witches and vampires and demons, but she has to reconsider when she meets this boy. And, of course, he ends up being a real and actual demon that fled from his evil family.

Theres more to the story than that, but I'm always terrified to post ideas on the internet XD but there's lots of vampires, werewolves, demons, Holy stuf (holy water, crucifix, churches, etc. etc.) and inquisition stuff.

Any title ideas?
Where are we going?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hmm, what about:
This Time It's Real (gives away much?)
He's Real This Time
Or:
Actually, He's a Demon
A Real Demon

I dunno, I'm not too good at naming the works of others. But hopefully the ones I suggested help!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am
Juniper says...

It's hard to pick a title, and even harder for us to pick for you!

If you want Demon in the title, you can try some variation such as "Revenge of the Demon".

Incubus isn't exactly what this sounds like, but it may suit? I don't know?

Dream of the Demon, The Guardian Demon, The Demon's Burn-- the possibilities are endless, but you can choose the best title. You're writing it, afterall!

June ;)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 pm
Jassie says...

Does he have a name?
A cool title of the book could probably just be his name :]
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
-Cyril Connolly
For more of my tutorials: http://myspace.keonnected.com/jsimms/en/index.html

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 pm
Roo 2 says...

How about: Inner Demons?
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

93 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 pm
~Volant~ says...

oooh...I like that one, Roo!

You're right, June, it is hard for people to choose a title they pretty much know nothing about. But I was hoping for something to bounce off of, and you guys have helped me out with that splendidly.

Well, the demon character has two different colored eyes when he's in his human form. So I kind of wanted to call it "Dog Eyes." But I'm not sure if that's a compelling enough title...Would you read a book called that?
Where are we going?

14 Reviews

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 pm
Roo 2 says...

I don't know if I'd read a novel called "Dog Eyes", especially if I knew nothing about it and just saw it on a shelf. Just because I'd probably dismiss it as one of those "touching" animal novels that I don't read or something sort of like it, like a changeling book or werewolves or something that isn't, you know, about demons. :)

But something about his eyes would be cool though... All I can think of is "Heterochromia Iridium" or just plain "Heterochromia", which are both the condition of having two different colored eyes. I don't know, the eye thing is interesting, but I'm not sure if you want that quirky of a title. :) ha ha.
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

93 Reviews

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 am
~Volant~ says...

Well...there are werewolves in the story, as well as demons. Its' just that the demon was the first supernatrual being she met. :p Maybe it could be play-on words....

You're right, though, "Dog Eyes" does sound like a touching animal story thing, and I don't read those either...maybe if the cover was black and it was written in creepy font? :\

Heterochromia might be a tad long and hard to remember, and besides, I don't think they had a specific name for different colored eyes at that time. It takes place in, like, the Dark Ages, with a whole bunch of Inquisitions.
Where are we going?

8 Reviews

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 am
Jassie says...

Wait so the dudes name is Dog Eyes?
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
-Cyril Connolly

93 Reviews

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:08 pm
~Volant~ says...

More like his nickname. :D I considered using his name for the title, but he isn't the MC. The MC is just a normal human girl. Her name is Ash, and that might lead the reader to think....hm....that's actually not a bad title.....After all, everyone's being burned at the stake for the slightest idiosyncrisy....

Maybe something that has to do with burning? Or night?
Where are we going?

14 Reviews

Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 pm
Roo 2 says...

'Ash' is a cool title! Or what if you altered it a little bit ('Ashes' maybe...?) or incorporated it into the title, so that it wasn't really like her name, but just dealing with ashes somehow? (Ash Eyes?) I don't know. I think you're right about Heterochromia, by the way, plus I'm not sure everyone even knows what that is and they'd be all What...? The Dog Eyes thing isn't bad, I just don't know if people would automatically connect it to different colored eyes. They might think "rabid dog" or something, you know?

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 pm
Sureal says...

I think that more often than not, a short, simple title works best. Ash would fit that. Also consider: Inquisitor.
I wrote the above just for you.

8 Reviews

Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 am
Jassie says...

I don't know. I think it would be more interesting to have the title of the guy, not the girl. I know she's the main character, but it's more about him, not her. I mean she meets HIM... HE is a werewolf thing.
Naming it Ash might suggest that it's maybe like a fiction biography of this girl or something.

I mean in my opinion, if I picked up a book called Ash and it turns out it was the main characters first name.. I'd put it back. If the book was named after the GUY and it turned out that the book was named after this guy who we (as readers) would be "learning" about in a sense.. then I'd be more interested.

Naming the book after the a character is usually done when the book isn't done from THAT characters point of view unless it's like "Ash and the Dog Eyes" signifying that there is more to the book than just her. Kind of like "Harry Potter AND blah blah blah" The books aren't JUST about him. Ya know?

People pick up books based on the title that's visible from the shelf and from the description.
For example:
Step 1- See Title. If title is interesting go to step 2. If title is not interesting, see Step 4.
Step 2- Read summary, if summary is interesting go to step 3. If summary is not interesting, see Step 4
Step 3- Skim over a chapter or 2, if chapters seem interesting go to step 5
Step 4- Look for a "better" book.
Step 5- Purchase/Borrow book.

That's how I book shop anyways lol...
-Cyril Connolly

93 Reviews

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:50 pm
~Volant~ says...

XD Jassie that's how I shop for books too. lol! Except I tend to open up to a random page, and if that random page looks interesting....fortunately for me, I've never hit on anything that's a spoiler. lol!

"Ash and the Dog Eyes" sounds too light-hearted. It's kind of a dark book, people getting burned at the stake, vampires and werewolves and witches and all that...I was hoping for something ominous sounding.

I like "Ash" or "Ashes" and am seriously considering changing my MC's name so that it fits.

I did consider "Inquisitor," but there are about five books with that same exact title. granted, about two or three of those books have a "the" in front of it, but the others don't, and I don't want to get mixed up with others. XD

I"m also considering "Spooked," because of all of the spooks in the story (not to mention how many times the Demon Boy person spooks all the animals) but I'm kind of scared about people thinking that it's a scary thriller. *shrug* well, maybe it is a thriller, but not scary, just...kind of.....well, demons and stuff.
Where are we going?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I think your best bet would be to try something along the lines of burning or something to do with the inquisitions. "Ashes" is one that stuck out at me from reading other peoples responses. It would prompt me to read the summary (which would have to go along with the title and be interesting for me to actually read the book). I don't like "Spooked" though. To me it sounds like a bad ghost story. But that's just me.
Got YWS?

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri