z

Young Writers Society

Writing Mentors/Coaches

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

I think this is the right place to post this question according to the forum's description.

But anyways, since I finished my first novel and query letters aren't something fun to wait for, I'm looking for someone to mentor or coach in writing.

Preferably, I'm looking for one of the following:

-Someone who's new to writing
-Someone who's been writing for a while, but not professionally
-Someone who wants to write a novel but never finishes
-Someone who wants to learn more about expressing their ideas

If you want to make sure I'm qualified, here's one of my latest works

topic49815.html

I'd love to help anyone who'd like to learn ^^
-Shina
Last edited by Angels-Symphony on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 pm
Chloe(: says...

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I need coaching! :D

I'm someone who's been writing for a while, but not professionally. Some time less than a year ago I started reading writing books and articles. I'm also someone who wants to write a novel but never finishes.

If you need to look at some of my writing, I'll be posting something soon. What I have in my portfolio is works that I wrote a while ago, none of them really represent what my writing is like right now.

But I'm someone who'd love to learn!;)
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm
Maneechan says...

Can you help me? I've been wanting to write a novel but never finishes and my English is pretty bad.(Can you mentor me in British English too?) Thanks so much!

263 Reviews

Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:26 pm
View Likes
Angels-Symphony says...

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I need coaching!

I'm someone who's been writing for a while, but not professionally. Some time less than a year ago I started reading writing books and articles. I'm also someone who wants to write a novel but never finishes.

If you need to look at some of my writing, I'll be posting something soon. What I have in my portfolio is works that I wrote a while ago, none of them really represent what my writing is like right now.

But I'm someone who'd love to learn!

I'd be glad to help you write ^^ I'm not as top notch as Snoink or June, or the mods, because they taught me what I know xD

The good news is that I've finished a novel ^^ It's edited version is coming back today, and query letters go out before the end if June =_= So much work to get these things out.

But yeah, over 110k words... And sadly, it's going to be shortened if any agent is going to even consider it. But the point is, I somehow managed to make my way through.

If you want to write a novel, then go and write something over 50,000 words. If you want to write a good novel, then enhance it later. It's all about making a story out of one line. And also, you have to be commited. You have to motivate yourself and challenge yourself and be a good competitor, otherwise, you're going to lose. If you want to get a book published, you need a book ;) So unless you've got that done, there's no point in having the first paragraph super amazing.

Can you help me? I've been wanting to write a novel but never finishes and my English is pretty bad.(Can you mentor me in British English too?) Thanks so much!

Sure ^^ We can probably do it in the short story chatroom that no one ever uses. Maybe I'll gather up some of the instructors and we can do weekly lessons or something, that is, if you guys are interested xD We'll get your novels done, just as long as you're willing to do what it takes to get to the end.

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:29 pm
Maneechan says...

I'm willing to do everything! But will our schedule clashes and all that? And I can't say thank you enough though. :)

28 Reviews

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks. A couple of months ago I was planning a couple of novels, but then I realized the plot or the characters were so cliche and overused, so I don't regret leaving them.

But now I have this idea for a series that I've been working with for a couple of months, since April. I write fantasy, so I've been spending a lot of this time developing the world, which believe me is a big part of the series. I'll need a lot of time for that, and I also need a lot of time for character development, at least for my standards, which now are pretty high :shock:

I have an idea for a novel that tells the past of the protagonist of the series, because he does have a pretty dramatic one. Whether I'll ever get it published, I doubt because of the main series, but it'll be practice and character building :D I think it might be around 100,000 words?

28 Reviews

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks so much! I think the short story chat would be okay. What time would we do it? I live in "GMT - 5."

A couple of months ago I was planning a couple of novels, but then I realized the plot or the characters were so cliche and overused, so I don't regret leaving them.

But now I have this idea for a series that I've been working with for a couple of months, since April. I write fantasy, so I've been spending a lot of this time developing the world, which believe me is a big part of the series. I'll need a lot of time for that, and I also need a lot of time for character development, at least for my standards, which now are pretty high :shock:

I have an idea for a novel that tells the past of the protagonist of the series, because he does have a pretty dramatic one. Whether I'll ever get it published, I doubt because of the main series, but it'll be practice and character building for ze main. :D I think it might get to be around 100,000 words?

I have the first half of the story planned out, but the second...not really. I only have a vague idea of what'll be going on there. And I'm the type of writer who needs an outline. Not a detailed one, but one that tells me the plot and what happens in each scene. ;)

I'm on the outline and plan of the novel about my character right now, and soon I'll start writing it. :D :D :D

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:28 pm
wolf4 says...

Hi I'm still pretty new to YWS and writing in general. I started getting into reading a couple years back, but only recently have I discovered that I can actually write well. An actual mentor would be great for me because all I've had to go off of is books, YWS, and parents/friend suggestions. I have all these great ideas but I can never stick with them. I always end up thinking that my writing is terrible and start over. Maybe you could help me with that?

Bye the way- Good Luck with Publishing Your Novel! :)

~Wolf
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

263 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Thanks wolf ^^ I'd be happy to help. I do recommend that you join Save Energy, Waste Paper because that's where most of my lessons are going ^^

-Shina

15 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 pm
wolf4 says...

Thanks angels-symphony :D ! This really means a lot to me and I'm going to go join right now :)

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

15 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 pm
wolf4 says...

Quick question- to be a part of Save Energy, Waste Paper, I have ot be granted special permission or something. How do I do that?

28 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Go here, and next to the picture, there should be a category saying 'group membership.' Next to it you should see a 'suscribe' button. Clicking it should have you join the group, if it doesn't work, contact lucyy or 200397, the group leaders. :D

15 Reviews

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:18 pm
wolf4 says...

Thank You! :D

28 Reviews

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 pm
View Likes

No problem. ;)

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown