z

Young Writers Society

Villain Rewrite: More Daunting Than the Villain Himself

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:26 am
Kang227 says...

I'm undergoing a major rewrite of my main villain's character, and it's really whupping me.

At first he was the intelligent, insane, aggressive, sarcastic monster that people really enjoyed when they read him. But eventually I realized just how stereotypical and static he was, and decided to rewrite him. Now I'm making him just as intelligent and sarcastic, but now his insanity manifests itself as a 'coldness' in his brain that takes control of him in combat or when he is enraged, deadening emotion and moral consideration. Any tips on writing this? Should I include a snippet to demonstrate what I'm talking about? It's a bit confusing, I know.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:35 am
Snoink says...

Make him love something.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:35 pm
Kang227 says...

Like...cake?
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:13 pm
Evi says...

xD Cake works, I guess. But I think Snoink was referring more to making him vulnerable by being attatched to something-- whether it be a person, and animal, or an object. If there's something out there that this villian truly loves and cares about, then that gives him a softer side *and* a weakness. Because then that person, animal, or object --maybe even a place-- can be taken away from him.

Love, also, makes a person human. If you have this constantly evil and sarcastic monster, but he doesn't seem to feel any of the more tender human emotions, readers won't be able to relate to him as well.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

To expand on that even more, since love tends to be the main weakness of people.

In my novel, my villain has a great love for his son. Even though the way the plot goes they are on opposite sides, the villain wouldn't harm his son/ We later learn he wouldn't harm anything or anyone his son loves, for reasons readers find out later. (He's harmed someone his son loves before and can't stand to see the pain it causes him). It also allows the MC to walk away with her life. Deux ex machina is may be, but it fits because of proper foreshadowing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 am
Kang227 says...

Hmm, well part of the reason he's bitter, sarcastic and unbalanced is because he loved and lost. The setting is also somewhat...limiting. He's with only six other characters, a situation that does not and cannot change. I'm trying to mix up his interaction with other characters, where occasionally he breaks his more antagonistic side and admits that he is afraid of his darker nature.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 am
PhoenixBishop says...

I believe strongly in Tabla Rasa the theory that everyone is born completely neutral and events in their life lead to their future actions. You know your characters history translate that to his now evilness.

I'm just spit balling here because I know nothing about you're story but lets say a friend of his was being mugged so he goes over and tries stop it. He becomes almost detached from his body and all he can think is I have to protect him. So he kills the person without realizing it.

My suggestion have him thinking about whatever it is that drives him when he's doing his horrible acts of evil have these be his justification.

pm me if this doesn't make sense
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I agree with Amon. Look at the moments in his life which have brought him to where he is. That will make him a character rather than a concept. Remember two things, which may seem contradictory;
1. You're the author
2. If your characters are developed, they should be leading you, rather than you leading them.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
— George Eliot