z

Young Writers Society

Need a good repercussion that's not cliche

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 am
Rosendorn says...

I'm working on a new project where the plot revolves around gemstones being taken from a hidden cave. Said cave is usually guarded by Dark Elves (Elves who were pushed underground by persecution. Their cousins, Light Elves, took to the forests instead.) Thanks to some generation changes, the cave has been forgotten by both elves and humans. But it's magic still feeds the land with much needed energy. My plot revolves around my MC reuniting both races to stop the cave from being drained. (Do not say anything about my plot structure. If cliches have to be used somewhere, I prefer a plot to characters and world ^_^)

Since these gems aren't going to be taken too far out of the aria, I need a good repercussion for all the crystals being taken out of the cave. One that's not overly cliche like "the whole aria will cave in" or "the dark elves would die" (Although I might use them if I have to. Or if people don't find them overly cliche)

What I was thinking:

~ The gems, once above ground, will loose their energy and the land will die slowly. This means the mages will have to work ten-times harder to keep the city alive. If they can.

~ Magic will leave the land if the gems are taken.

(And just for kicks)

~ The Dark Elves will die if the gems are taken away.

~ The place will cave in without the gems in the cavern/the mining that's happening.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:05 pm
Odin says...

*I do not claim that these suggestions are not cliche*
-maybe the release of some kind of monster that the gems were trapping
-loss of themagic of non-magical people (human mages, shamans,ect., dwarves(possibly), any others that are not truly magical races, just use magic)
-chaos in politics and/or in general
-magical chaos(idea that the gems control magic of the land or something, or that something in the cave(wards) restrains the full magic of the gems, allowing prosperity)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:10 pm
BarrettBenedict says...

I would always go with a rift in time/space. One that opens up a dark dimension where all sorts of unwholesome things yet to be named start pouring in. Say the crystals held the door shut or something like that.
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 am
Rosendorn says...

Barrett- I like that I lot. I see that Odin has listed that as well, so I just might go with that. Leaves room for a sequel (I'm putting a lot of work into this world. I'm not letting it get away with just one novel! :P)

Thanks!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 pm
~Volant~ says...

~ The gems are sentient and will do anything they can to get back to the cave, like promise anyone within their "mental reach" anything they desire as long as they put them back in the cave

~ nature will go out of sync (seasons get scewed, the sun doesn't rise, the animals get confused and don't know whether to migrate or mate or whatever, etc.)

~ magic starts unraveling and doesn't work

~ emotions become uncontrolable, and whole wars go out over utterly ridiculous things (well, war is raged over ridiculous things anyway, but we're talking completely ridiculous, like "your stable boy didn't clean my horse well enough when I was visiting your kingdom!")

Does that work?
Where are we going?

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn