z

Young Writers Society

final decision on character name

Reviews: 4
Mon May 25, 2009 2:37 am
hamerkid2 says...

Alright I am planning a new short story that may or may not develop into a novel. I am currently at a stand still because I cannot decide on one of the biggest parts of the story, the main character's name.
A character's name can stand for nothing, but in some of the greatest novels of all time, the name was a symbol. Example, John is a very common name and is usually used to stand for a male character that was very normal but turned extraordinary. Using the name of a God/Goddess, showed the character has power or is a leader.
So now you know why I am stuck. I did some research on female names in order to find the perfect one for my character. I know the names that follow all have different meanings, but I'm still in the developing stage so I need some sort of idea of how I want my character to act.
I cannot decide which to use. Here is the list that I came up with:

Jess
Riley
Mia
Mai
Levanna
Levinna
Rayna
Gina
Last edited by hamerkid2 on Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon May 25, 2009 2:40 am
Bickazer says...

It'd probably be more helpful if we knew what kind of personality the main character has. *shrug* It always works to give a character a name that suits their personality above all, regardless of meaning. Different names have different "feels" to them, after all. For example, I'd say "Jess" is more of a tomboyish, active name for a girl, while "Levanna" is a name for a more flighty, girly character.

So yeah, let us know her personality, then it'll be easier to choose a name for her.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon May 25, 2009 3:06 am
gsppcrocks10 says...

I personally like Rayna, as it seems pretty unique to me. But it's your character, so it's your choice.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon May 25, 2009 3:22 am
Teufelshund says...

Why stay at a standstill?

Write the story! The character herself is more important than the name. The name's a label. Let the persona develop as you write...use a random 'working name' for your character, and as she develops I guarantee you eventually she'll give herself a suitable name.

But from the list, I like "Jess."
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 25, 2009 2:45 pm
Carlito says...

It really does depend on the personality but I'm liking Riley, Mai, and Rayna.
Good luck :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 4
Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm
hamerkid2 says...

thank for the help.
and Teufelshund, thanks for the advice, but the when I write, for some reason I need the character names, ages, and descriptions beofre i begin.
-Hamerkid2

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Wed May 27, 2009 2:09 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

My intuition says Mai, but Gina comes in second place.
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

I don't like these:

Levanna
Levinna
Rayna

They're a bit too weird. I can't believe an average character named that.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 pm
Odin says...

It can also depend on the storyline. For example, If you're writing a real world fantasy(such as harry potter or twilight) you will most likely want an ordinary name.
other fantasy gives you more room for picking an individual, unique name.
science fiction usually supports a full range, from your Toms, Dicks, and Harrys, to Serana.

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore