z

Young Writers Society

Character Woes

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 pm
Bickazer says...

After canning Zenith, Vicisittudes, and now the "Wingless Girl" which technically still has no name, I've finally resolved to yet again try what has previously been impossible for me--FINISH a novel.

So far, it's going well. The novel's name is "The End of Time" and a fantasy story with scifi elements (actually, to be technical, it's scifi with fantasy elements, but the fantasy aspect currently overrides the scifi). The story's actually flowing very well, in no small part because of my discovery of the "Snowflake Method" for plotting a novel--for someone as disorganized as me, the method is a GODSEND. Finally instead of diving in and writing randomly, I'm planning the entire novel from beginning to end. And I still love it, which is new because I usually end up hating a novel after trying (and failing) to plan it.

I've hit a problem, though, when it comes to one character--at the beginning of the book he's the best friend of the main character, but later gets drawn into the villainous (and genocidal) conspiracy opposing the main characters. He feels that for the first time in his life, he has something to believe in, and for the first time is being valued not for his connection to the main character but for who he himself is. Which is important because previously the friend was only a follower of the main character, never making his own decisions.

The friend is a nice guy, but I'm having a lot of trouble planning his redemption. It's just not working; as it currently is it feels hollow. He's fighting the main character, and the main character manages to get the friend to see the error of his ways while fighting. That's it. Somehow, given the rest of the friend's character arc, it feels false. I just feel that this friend, having spent the rest of the novel developing a personality distinct from the main character's, would be betraying himself by just deciding "guess you're right!" and becoming all buddy-buddy with the main character in a heartbeat again.

I don't want to leave the friend as a villain, though, or unreformed, because what the conspiracy's been doing truly is vile (they committed, and are still committing, a genocide). It feels bad to leave the friend on a bitter note. I want him to reconcile with the main character, but the way I've currently got it doesn't jibe with his character development. Any ideas, please? I'm very upset, but pleased at the same time because it's good that my characters are growing their own identities and won't let themselves get constrained by the plot.

But at the same time it's difficult for a writer. :( I'm now caught in a dilemma as how to resolve the friend's storyline. >_> Any suggestions? I welcome any.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Krupp says...

Well, one path you could theoretically try is to have the friend never be persuaded, and end up killing the protagonist, and then roam the earth for a few years or so, realizing what he's done. Have him sit around through life, stunned, a changed person, demoralized by what he's done, haunted by the mistakes made. That rarely ever feels hollow.

But of course, it's your novel, and I won't presume to tell you how to write it. I just know that's what path I would take in my novel.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

157 Reviews

Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 pm
Bickazer says...

...that sounds interesting, but the ending of the novel sort of hinges on the protagonist being alive, so I can't have him killed. >_>

I know I have an idea of what to do with the friend once the final fight is over; it's just making the actual fight convincing that bothers me. The way I have it is just that he throws down his arms and...just leaves. Which doesn't feel right at all. I suppose I could have the protagonist actually win the fight, but can't see how that can be accomplished without a death, either.

Arrgh...this bothers me so much because I've got pretty much everything else set in stone--the confrontations, the individual character endings, the overarching plot, etc. It's just this one character that's giving me so many problems, and he's such an integral part of the story.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat May 23, 2009 2:26 am
Mandronette De Khyre says...

Okay so thr main char gets to the friend
Right?
Maybe.
The friend should start his own "Story".
He should become what i call a "ROgue" in my stories.
He would have no side , neither good nor bad.
He would be himself and tred on his own path.
HE sould maybe bump heads with the good and bad guys at times also to show that he isnt on etiher side of the equation.
A "Middle man" of sorts.
Cool?

157 Reviews

Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 am
Bickazer says...

Actually...the rogue idea is a pretty good idea. :) Although I don't think I'll be writing another story focusing on him (and ought to just focus on the first novel...my undoing with a lot of my other projects is that I kept thinking in expansive serieses instead of focusing on one book at a time).

I already do have an idea what to do with the friend after his redemption (if it happens), just trouble coming up with the actual scene. But I hadn't really thought of making him, well, a rogue who doesn't pick either side; thanks for giving me that idea. :D

Reviews: 3
Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Hmmm perhaps the protaganist is on the ground and the character is about the kill him but realizes that if goes through with it, he will kill someone who still cares for him despite all the horrible things he's done.
Dramatic and it might fit.

Reviews: 3
Sat May 23, 2009 5:48 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Hmmm perhaps the protaganist is on the ground and the character is about the kill him but realizes that if goes through with it, he will kill someone who still cares for him despite all the horrible things he's done.
Dramatic and it might fit.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Wed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

Okay, here's what I think. Most fantasy is seriously lacking the emotional department. No matter how breathtaking the plot, the reader will be less likely to remember it unless it evokes strong emotions. So I think your friend/main character resolution isn't so much about how it happens OUTSIDE, but how it happens INSIDE. Personally, I think the "throwing down his arms and walking away scene" has potential to be heartbreakingly beautiful. Have you experienced something similar? If so, take your emotions and amplify them tenfold.
Hope that helps!
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

NO U
— Carina