z

Young Writers Society

Love Help...

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 pm
MeadowLark says...

I have just a slight question:

What do you do when your character falls in love with the wrong person?

Of course, everyone is excited when their characters take over the story. But when that planned relationship contributes to the plot, should we force our character to fall in love with that person or just let them do what they will?

Let's just look at my characters:

Mia and Tin are the good friends. They live together. They go thieving together--yes they're thieves--and I meant for them to fall in love because it was oh so obvious that they were in love with one another.

But then another character comes in--Dovair--and completely throws everything into utter chaos. Now Mia is in love with Dovair and Tin is just stays a good friend. Porr Tin.

Should I just let Mia and Dovair fall in love and surprise the reader? Or should Tin and Mia fall in love like I had planned?

I'm so lost :) Any tips anyone?

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue May 05, 2009 7:03 pm
Krupp says...

You do what you want, or what feels like it would complete the story best. There's nothing else that really can be said. It's completely up to you.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

I've had this happen to me a while back, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to happen or what my characters wanted so I wrote out how it would be for the MC girl to fall in love with her best guy friend. And then I wrote how it would be like for the MC girl to fall in love with someone else. (I know it is extra work but it helped in the long run) After I wrote what I needed to, I compared the two pieces to see which one is better for my characters story. It will surprise you which one you'll actually want and need for the story.

Good Luck,

-Butters
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

Reviews: 3
Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 am
siobhan says...

You're the writer.
You decide what you want to do with the story - not the characters. They're creations, not the creator.

So, do you want her to be with Tin or Dovair? Which suits the plot most?
There's your answer.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu May 07, 2009 1:24 am
Rosendorn says...

I'd do what Butters suggested. Even though it just adds more work.

One thing about forced relationships is they can get sappy very quickly. I have had it happen before, and it's not pretty. I actually had to add in another character to fix that! :lol:

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

239 Reviews

Thu May 07, 2009 7:36 pm
MeadowLark says...

Thanks a bunch!

Butters I'll take your suggestion. I don't mind a little extra work to "perfect" my story.

Rosey, I so hope I don't get into anything sappy. That's the last thing I want. I'll just do Butters suggestion and hope nothing gets to forced ^_^

Thanks again.

Meadow

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu May 07, 2009 8:48 pm
KailaMarie says...

I would say let your characters fall in love with who they are in love with. I mean, if it really messes with the plot... I don't know. Maybe change the plot. Besides, it can get boring when the person is obviously in love with one person from the beginning.

BUT she could always be in love with two characters at different levels. Or maybe Tin loves her, but she loves Doviar... you could always let things get complicated. (:
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

239 Reviews

Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 am
MeadowLark says...

Hmm, Kaila that sounds like an idea. I always love it when the characters want to do their own thing. It just makes my job as the author more easier...until difficulties like this arise.

Well thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Meadow

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina