z

Young Writers Society

Help on begining of a prequel

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 am
romance otaku says...

Okay, so i have a plan for a prequil to my current novel. i have a plan, but am missing one thing:where to begin.

in short, the story starts on a plane to another country, 5 years before the first book. he returns home in this prequil, and 5 years later goes through the same trip again, entering the firstt book at about page 50. here are the options:

1: we start on the plane 5 years later, talking of deja vu

2: we start 5 years later, going through security, talking first of a roundabout reason for going, then, when on the plane, deja vu

3: we start 5 years in the past, saying how it was the MC`first time on a plane

4: we start 5 years earlier stating why and how the MC was forced to go on the plane

if you have any suggestions, please tell me

thx ^-^
~Otaku
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

First off, you might get more help if you used capitals. It would make your post easier to read.

Second, I'm not quiet sure what you mean. Do you want the prequel (also called a prologue) to be the plane trip five years ago, or the current plan trip?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

63 Reviews

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 am
romance otaku says...

i was on my DSi at midnight. I'm am actually impressed with what i wrote ^^

the prequel is to be about the trip 5 years ago. it is possible to start on the current plane trip with the MC saying how it was deja vu from the last trip.

i hope im not too confusing...
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:55 am
Syte says...

Okay, so i have a plan for a prequil to my current novel
Prequel. The only reason I corrected your mistake is because you're a writer. If you weren't, I would have just let it slide.

Anyway, on to the matter at hand.

i have a plan, but am missing one thing:where to begin.
It's a good thing that you have an idea how you're novel is going to be. Not only does it allow you to write with more confidence, but its proof that you actually care about your project. My word of advice is this: just do what's necessary. Don't give excess information. I hope that has helped you, but if hasn't, don't be afraid to tell me. Perhaps we can sort something out.

in short, the story starts on a plane to another country, 5 years before the first book. he returns home in this prequil, and 5 years later goes through the same trip again, entering the first book at about page 50. here are the options:
Listen, if you want my word of advice, here is what I would do: Don't even bother writing the first half, and just write the second half (the deja vu part). As your MC is on the plan, he can think back, in the memories he experiences will give plenty enough information and emotional content--if it's written well. Trust me on this. Just because something's long doesn't make it good. All writers want their work to stand out, and since our work often means much to us, we think we need so many pages to tell our story. Sometimes this is true, but based on my experience, it usually isn't.

The first and second options are the best, in my opinion. If it was me, I would definitely go with the plane scene, since there will be much less distractions for the reader and the MC will be free to ruminate without any unnecessary and uninteresting interruptions. ("Show me your bags, sir." Wow, we haven't seen this before ;))

I hope all goes well. You say that you have improved considerably, and I'd like to see that :)

PS: I'm sorry I didn't get to review your third chapter. I was away from the site for a long time. I'll make an effort to read your next piece, however :)

I hope all goes well. I'm excited for you :)

63 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 am
romance otaku says...

Thank you so much ^^! That is exactaly what i needed! I am pumped. I have a ten or so page summary for my prequel that I plan to go on, so it will be much easier to work with than my begining of my novel.

I plan on PMing everone that has ever done a review for me when i post Heart Stabbed Blade capters 1-5 in thee advanced critiques section (so I will make sure to message you). It is currently over 40 pages long, and has went through 11 drafts, and i am finishing the 12th draft now.

Anyway, it looks like I`m getting used to the DSi's typing system, so you won't need to yell at me in the future^-^

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda