z

Young Writers Society

Book idea

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 am
PhoenixBishop says...

I am determined to write a book about clones and I came up with this idea after tweaking my original idea which is also on YWS.

In the year 2044 human cloning has been made legal and the leading producer of clones is a company called Exodus. They breed clones to take up dangerous jobs, such as cops,soldiers,firemen etc. This way they preserve human life and have greater success since they have been genetically altered to be faster, smarter and stronger.

Only two clones have been successfully altered enough to have special abilities. Telekinesis and Pyrokinesis. One is Micheal Bane cloned from a dead soldier. The other a 9 year old boy named Bobby. The main scientist on the clone project Emily Stone is currently going through a divorce after her child is killed in a bank robbery. She starts to consider Bobby her son.

Jenica's father is president of the Exodus company and has enlisted her to socialize with the younger clones so they can learn human traits. Since the older generation of clones developed psychotic personalities. She meets her own clone and Kyle a clone of a military brat.

Lisa a clone escaped to Alaska and started a family and has two sons.

Michael one of the Psychologically damaged clones escapes and starts killing off the donors of the clones.

Jenica's clone and Kyle are sent to retrieve their old partner Max who escaped. Exodus also brings in Lisa and directs them to protect the donors and bring down Micheal.

Exodus tries experimenting Bobby to get him ready for a battle with Micheal, but Emily kidnaps him and runs away to protect him.

I plan on having a little romance between Jenica and the clone Kyle.

So tell me what you think. I really want to make a story about clones and I want to know if I'm headed in the right direction.
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:41 am
smaur says...

Yay sci-fi!

Um. So clones are fun and I like some of your ideas; some of the storylines don't make sense although it might be for lack of information. Why would Jenica be cloned? I would imagine her father would be a little squeamish about having his daughter reproduced (and about having the reproduction of his daughter running around and doing dangerous things). I like the idea of clones meeting each other and the conflict that would inevitably arise from it, but I find it hard to believe that the president of the company would be okay with cloning his daughter. (This may, however, be easy to explain away with backstory: for example, maybe there was a moment in her life when she suffered from some kind of life-threatening disease and, afraid that they were going to lose her, the parents create a clone. Or something.)

Another thing that I find hard to believe is that Jenica's father would be okay with letting her loose amidst a group of powerful, smart, psychotic clones. Not just because she's his daughter and he might be worried for her welfare, but (from the little information you've given us) she doesn't seem very qualified to deal with a bunch of psychotics. Unless she's done extensive studying in psychology or has some kind of significant background that would make her very useful to the process, I find it hard to believe that any company would pick up a random girl (from what it looks like, she's a teenager) and send her to take care of some very expensive and very unpredictable/dangerous clones.

A couple of other little hiccups: I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't notice/suspect Emily of being unstable enough to attach to Bobby. The death of her child would seem (to me, anyway) like it would be something that the company would be concerned about, as she might be psychologically damaged and unfit to work with the clones. Even if she somehow managed to convince them otherwise (maybe she has to attend weekly shrink sessions to quell their worries or something), how would she escape with one of The Most Special of clones in what I would assume is a well-guarded, high-security area? Again, it's not impossible to do this successfully, it's just going to be hard to sell it to your readers convincingly without making the company look implausibly incompetent.

Anyway, you're definitely in the right direction, and I'm excited for a story about clones. (As a minor note, I'm hoping the storylines and characters mix a little more — you've already started doing it, but if the characters interact more with each other it would do a lot to help tie the various threads of the story together.) Have fun writing!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 am
el Arma Escrita says...

This sounds like a really good idea! On the whole, I like what you've planned out. Cloning is always an idea I've been fascinated with; I want to use it in one of my novels someday, too, although in a different way.

HOWEVER! I will warn you...

Amon360 wrote:Since the older generation of clones developed psychotic personalities. She meets her own clone and Kyle a clone of a military brat.

Michael one of the Psychologically damaged clones escapes and starts killing off the donors of the clones.

...This sounds almost exactly like the movie Blade Runner. That was like the whole plot of that movie.
'Cause it's the one's with the sorest throats, Laura, who have done the most singing.

---

Want your story copy edited? Shoot me a PM.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Thanks for the input

I see what you mean about he father wanting to protect Jenica, but you see he does it for circuler reasoning he believes that the success of the cloning experiment is the only thing keeping his daughter safe. He puts her with the teen clones as bodyguards with a false mission so she doesn't refuse their help. Since Micheal will be coming after her she needs protection and he thinks this is the best way to do it.

As for why he clone her in the first place I need to look into that. The teenage clones she's working with aren't psychotic in fact their childlike in their mentality.

As for Emily I see your point and I might have her enlist the help of other clones. I'm not sure. Exodus should be vary paranoid after the first breakout so I might rethink the whole Emily thing.

And el Arma thanks for the heads it up I never saw blade runner and receantly looked up and see some resemblances. I make a note of it and try to avoid such connections. But wasn't Blade Runner about a man hunting clones.

Thanks Again and I'm open to more input.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:05 am
Krupp says...

Just watch Blade Runner and you'll get what el Arma means.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:52 am
VehementWriter says...

Hmm, I think this sounds pretty good...

For starters, definitely go with the romance... haha

Also, I second what Smaur said... Just fill in those plot holes and I think you're off to a pretttyyy good start.
"The power of accurate obeservation is often called cynicism by those who haven't got it." - Oscar Wilde.

If I could only see right to the end, I'd know just where to begin, and I could put together all the little pieces.

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42