z

Young Writers Society

Cliched plot or cliched characters?

Would you rather see a cliched plot or cliched characters?

Cliched Plot
69%
Cliched Characters
31%

Total votes : 29

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:30 am
Rosendorn says...

When it comes down to the bare-bones, all modern work is cliched in one way or another. The two main ways are plot and characters. Which ones do not mind seeing? The plot that is a bit predictable, or the characters who you've seen a thousand times before?

Please explain your answer.

(Note- This is not to say you should use a purely cliched plot/characters. It's just asking where you prefer to see the cliches)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:58 am
LolitaRose says...

I honestly don't mind a cliched plot. While cliched plots are easily saved by fantastic characters, cliched characters can not be saved by a fantastic plot in my opinion.
no second thoughts, the knife is nearing
you'll never hear the little pitter patter pitter patter

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 am
Krupp says...

A cliched plot can be done right if it has a little bit of a twist on it, and the characters are ones that people can relate to or just enjoy completely. So I would have to say I hate cliched characters much more than a cliched plot.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

1272 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:17 am
Rosendorn says...

To answer my own poll choice, I prefer seeing a cliched plot.

My reasoning is: To make cliched characters successful, you must put in some twist. Therefor, by the time you have made them relate-able, they are no longer cliched.

But when it comes to a cliched plot, you can click into the characters right away since they've got a fresh view. To follow that thought, cliched plots then become interesting when you factor in character response. Have different characters go through the same event, and you'll end up with something different if you've done your characters right.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 am
Evi says...

Agreed. Cliches in plots don't bother me as much, because we don't get to know the plot. We're relating to the characters, and as long as their view on the situation isn't old and cliched, the story could not be.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 am
LydiaB says...

Plots are moved around by the characters, no the other way around. I prefer clichéd plots because no matter what, as long as the story isn't a complete copy of another story, it is unique in its own way. A character that is exactly the same as another is easier to weave into the story and tend to drag down the entire book. I have to say, if you have interesting and unique enough characters, the plot will follow.

-Lydia <3
Is Pat Buchanan the answer to everything in your life? If so, put "Pat Buchanan" in your signature.

If you're looking for a good fantasy story in need of help...
Purple Magic
:D

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 am
~Excalibur~ says...

I don't care for either. I will probably not read a work if the plot summary is cliche. Cliched characters make me put the work down a bit less then a cliche plot because developed characters can seem cliche, but it depends on a realistic type of cliche. Nerds being smart. Jocks being strong. Or even in the classic fantasy D&D cliche, with the thief, the cleric and the paladin with not just a stick up the wazoo.

Just because your source material or mold for the book has such characters doesn't mean it is wrong. Yes the magician should be smart, and yes the warrior is a meat-shield. Thieves tend to be low on morals. They are what they are for a reason, and by showing how and why you make a character complete and not a cliche.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:56 pm
lilymoore says...

Definitely, if the plot is old an dull, then I just won't read it. But give me a fun character and the plot flaws become less noticable.

Take for instance the book "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. Though it easily become dull as just another Vampire story, having crazy unique characters saved it.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:03 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Now this is an interesting question, because quite honestly under usual circumstances I'd rather have an epic plot with cliched characters.

When however a character is so eccentric, interesting, or intriguing to read about, I often prefer this to a cliched plot...

So I guess it depends really.

Have a good one! :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 pm
tori1234 says...

I say plot. Mainly because if the characters is cliched, you know what they are going to do, but if you're plot is cliched and your characters are freaks, they make it interesting.
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:45 pm
How2EataRhesus says...

Well, for me it depends whether the story is plot-driven (beyond the main characters' control) or character-driven. But since most are driven by characters, and I tend to focus on them more so than I do the storyline, I'd rather a cliche plot.
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:34 am
Helpful McHelpfulpants says...

In fact what I hate most is cliched writing. Next in line are cliched characters; lastly a cliched plot.
Nunc lac est bibendum.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:56 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Plot. Cliche characters are boring. I agree that a cliche plot can be saved by great characters. Those are my thoughts.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:45 pm
Blink says...

When it comes down to the bare-bones, all modern work is cliched in one way or another.

I'm sorry, but no. No. No. No. No. It's no more clichéd than the classics; it's like an inventor saying everything's already been invented.

Sorry... just had to say that. :) I'd prefer a clichéd plot, because characters define the story, really, or at least how they grasp it.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1272 Reviews

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

Blink- I was taking that off of Arastotal saying there are/were only seven plots.

But, take it as you mean it. If you can show me something that has no cliches what so ever I will remove that line.

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk