z

Young Writers Society

Can you help me??

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:36 am
toribethh says...

Hey I'm Tori. I'm writing a young adult novel. My main character's name is Bella and I think that I should change it because of all the hype about Twilgiht (The main character in it's name is Bella) I like the names Anastaciya and Vaslissa, I also like Katarina but I'm open to other suggestions. I like classic names for her. I also would like to hear what you guys have to say about the other characters names.

IT's about a girl named Arabella nn. Bella who after her best friend dies, goes to Bryner Academy for Exceptional Students. The students are definetly exceptional. Bella's parents reveal to her that she has the ability to hear people's thoughts and feelings. She meets Tyson (nn. Ty), Olivia (Liv), Elena (Leny), Calden (Cal) and Ezekeil (Zeke) and becomes friends with them. THey are all around 14 or 15 and were born in 1994.

Bella- has dyed midlength red hair and one eye that is green and one that is blue. She is about 5' 2" SHe wears a lot of dark colors and is very outgoing she is a little crazy and wild. she is in drama productions and can sing soprano amazingly well. She can read people's thoughts and feelings

Ty- shaggy dark brown hair and blue eyes that get darker blue as they get closer to the pupil making them look very deep. He is 6' tall wears lots of rock band t-shirts. He is loud and crazy. He is also in drama productions and sings baritone. He can control fire

Liv- Long Platinum Blonde Hair that is very long and brown eyes. She is 5' 8" and built like a supermodel. She loves shopping and loves people. Bella's roomate. She is pscyhic

Leny- Short black hair and green-grey eyes. She is 5' 6" and very thin. She was born in IReland and talks with a thick accent. She is Bella's other roommate. She is a traveler. She can go anywher even into pictures.

Cal- He has dirty Blond hair that is short and brown eyes. he is 6' 2". He dresses very preppy and is very smart. He controls Water

Zeke- He has light brown hair and brown eyes. He is 6' 5" and built like a line backer. He loves Hockey and Football. He is a typical jock and wears mostly sweats. He is superstrong and can control earth(Dirt)

Please Help!!!!!! Thanks in Advance!!!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 am
Krupp says...

What do you need our help for? You've already got names for them. It's just a point of applying the names now. If you really have that much difficulty coming up for a name, then use google to find a random name generator. That would be a better idea than trying to ask others come up with names, because they tend to run together and use the same names after a while.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 am
Rosendorn says...

Changing the name Bella sounds like a good idea.

As for what to change it to, Google some terms to get name generators (I find baby-names sites particularily useful).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:50 am
MeadowLark says...

Also (I kinda like this, I've used it for names on my Scarecrow Minstrel story) is the character name generator thing on YWS here. Under downloads and games. It's fun to see what kind of names yuo get ^_^

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:30 pm
threm. says...

Leny is like a JUMPER! Yeah, like that movie. :)

I love the idea; how about you decide on a VERY general first name and a very weird second name. In that way, she's the only one in your characters that has a second name, thus, giving her some difference with the others.

Most of the time, I use the seasons' names. I've already used Winter and Summer. And Autumn is yet to come or if you want to use it, why not. :)

How about Elizabeth? you can either go for Beth, Liz, Liza, Lizbeth, Eli, Eliza for nicknames. :)

I hope I helped.

-threm.
"Don't judge me based on my works, so I won't judge you based on yours"

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:44 pm
tori1234 says...

Hey! My name's Tori, too!!!!!
awesome!

I think it's a good idea to change her name, just don't change it completely.
Instead of Arabella, how about Annabell? (spelling can differ) And call her Bell? or even Anna? I think it could work!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 am
Jay says...

I like Tori's idea of using Annabel. Other ideas:

Valerie
Ariella or Arielle
Gabriella
Lucinda
Aurelia
Elodie
Isabella
Isadora

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm
Carlito says...

thy this...
topic44281.html
:D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:36 pm
Katiferthecat says...

How about the name Kathy? Or Kat for short. I like the name Bella, though! Maybe you could just leave it as Bella but then again :) :D

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30 pm
Katriona says...

I don't see why you have to change her name at all. The way popularity works, Twilight probably won't be a favorite for very much longer. If the name "Bella" is who your character is, you should stick with that.
However, if you want to change it for some other reason...

BELINDA
CAROLINE
KENNA
ROSELYN
Sherlyn

These names all mean "beautiful."
But really, the only person who can pick good names for your character is you. No-one knows your people as well as you do. You have to pick a name that fits the person you want them to be. The very first thing your reader will know about the character is the name, so that will influence the picture they get of him/her. It usually works well to pick a name that was popular at the time of their birth. Also keep in mind what their parents are like. If they have traditional parents, they might have a more traditional name. The place they were born also effects what name they would have.
Hope that helped.
~Christ's Servant

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace;
that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation;
that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Isaiah 52:7

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:30 am
Terpsichore says...

I think it's a good idea to change Bella's name, preferably to a variation of the name like Jay has given. (there are some good ideas there)
Changing the name is good especially because she can hear thoughts, and that was Edwards forte in Twilight.

Another thing I'd suggest is that you don't shorten all the names. Eg, Ezekiel to Zeke. Or at least introduce them as the shortened form of their name and then you if needed, explain their full name.
The pen is indeed mightier than the sword. I will maim you with a weapon, but destroy you with a word. -- A.C.G

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 am
Kyla/Marie says...

I got a baby name dictionary to help me come up with names. I usually just flip to a random page and use one of the names from there, or try and fine a name with a meaning that fits my character.
It really helps out.

You could also try online baby name sites.

But you could just use her full name in the story.
We've got a fantasy affair
We didn’t get wet. We didn’t dare.
Our aspirations are wrapped up in books
Our inclinations are hidden in looks
(Wrapped Up In Books- Belle and Sebastian)

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon