z

Young Writers Society

I've been working on the same novel for four years!

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 pm
Bittersweet says...

My novel-in-progress Bittersweet I've worked on since the summer of 2006. Currently, it's a 170 pages, but I can't ever seem to bring myself to write it. The beginning is written horribly since I was so young and terrible at writing when I began the story. I've tried rewriting it several times, but I never get anywhere. Basically, I love this story to death. I love the plot and the characters. I just lack the power to write it and get it done.

What should I do to get myself enthusiastic about writing it? I've run out of ideas.

-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am
Snoink says...

Er... I just recently finished my novel, FREAK, after seven and a half years. You can totally do it... but you need to be patient and have people that can help you through the frustrating parts. If it weren't for the people who were reading my story and all of its rewrites and guiding me along, I probably wouldn't have been able to finish it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am
TexanWriter says...

Hmmm... well, what I do for inspiration is daydream the next part of the story, and then act it out. Alone. In my room. As if I were in a play. Then I write it down/remember it until I want to write it down.

To get yourself to rewrite it, work on one paragraph at a time. Just copy one onto another document, then work on fixing it up. It may take forever with your 170 pages, but trust me, it works. And I'm a procrastinator.

Hope this helps!

-Tex
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am
Sureal says...

Just sit down and make yourself carry on, I guess. Force yourself.

Don't edit though. Don't worry whether or not it's any good. Just write. Editing can be done once you've finished the first draft.

Seriously: do it now. Maybe you don't feel like it, or perhaps you're not in the mood, but try making yourself just sit down - and write.
I wrote the above just for you.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 am
Angel of Death says...

I'm kind of in the same spot with the novel I started writing about a year ago. I love it to death and the characters are stuck in my head but the plot needs a major do-over. I outlined and I still can't bring myself to rewrite it. So, the best thing is to not think about to much. Write a lot of other things and once you find something that you can positively keep up with then you're in business. Just keep writing or else you'll never get anything done. Or if you're that attached to your novel, outline.

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 am
Jon says...

The best thing to do is to open up Microsoft word, or whatever thing your writing it with, and do it. It's kind of like ripping off a bandage.

Really though, just do it.
right now, that's right. XD

[spoiler]Don't ignore this, I mean it! XD Close out of YWS and open up Bittersweet and continue! [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Fine, don't listen to me. *Hugh*[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Just kidding! Listen to me! XD[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Write it now, do it. *Starts routing* Do it, Do it, Do,it!!![/spoiler]

---Jon---
P.S. -- Congrats on becoming purple!
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 am
MeadowLark says...

If it makes yuou feel any better I started my very first novel five years ago and the farthest I've gotten is 350 pages and then I rewrote it again. Up to now I've rewritten it four times. And the last time I've written on it was last year some time.

You just need to get inspiration. Forced writing sounds bad. Or perhaps...ugh.I can't think of anything. Just good luck and no you aren't alone in the world when it comes to being stuck.

Happy Writing and Good Luck!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am
Dreamwalker says...

I completely understand how you feel. My novel, Night in Love, finally ended after four years, but I had to restart it a bunch because of the fact that I was so young when I started. I just finished it a week ago though, and although it took me four long years, I finally finished and and I can breathe easy knowing I actually did it!

Just keep trying, and never give up! The only thing you have to lose is the story you created.

And when you finish it, just go back and fix things that you didnt like in the beginning. I'm sure you'll realise you like it a lot better then you thought you would.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:14 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Oi. If you get past the 30 page barrier you have this second, ending barrier which is just as bad as the first one. Keep at it, really push yourself to do some. Don't let all your hardwork end after coming this far.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Wiggy says...

Hun, I've been on the same novel for just as long, and I've gotten maybe three crappy pages out. I think my characters just take longer to ferment in my head. :P You can do it! Really, just write what you feel, put your characters in different situations, and have a little fun! You can always change it later.

And yeah, look at Snoink. What a FREAK. :P
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 pm
TheWordsmith says...

I've been working on a novel since 2003, and after two major series of writer's block and a ton of ideas for other books, I've realized that the only thing keeping me from finishing it is actually doing the writing. It's tough, sometimes, but I'll echo the other enlightened members and say just do it.

A bit on beginnings- start the novel at change. Like, instead of a laundry line description of Bob, just jump-start the action with something that threatens him. Some sort of change, like the cliche of someone pointing a gun at Bob's head, is best. Conflict, like the unnamed antagonist advising Bob to give up everything he's worked for for the past twenty years, and Bob deciding whether or not to take the advice, is equally good.
Bad spellars of the world, untie! - T-shirt

Join iSpy! Click here!

Reviews: 4
Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 am
danster724 says...

Erm actually it hasn't even been 3 years since the summer of 2006. So you've been working for 2 1/2 years if it makes you feel better.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 am
Rosendorn says...

Talk to your MCs and learn about them. Usually when I get bored I go and discover that my characters don't want to be totally in-love in the first book (Romantic fantasy), but they actually dislike each other. Learning that gave me the motivation.

Something else I do is simply switch stories. In the four years I've been working on this novel, I have gone and written parts of about nineteen others. Sometimes it's just an outline, sometimes it's twenty-some pages. I just wrote something new to get any creativity going again. (once it got going, my MC would come back in my head and tell me to write about her)

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:48 am
Sachiko says...

I'm not sure if what i'm going to say will be much help, but oh well. xD

Treat it like nano. FOr some odd reason, we are able to write complete trash during the month of November, but the rest of the time we force ourselves to be perfect! It's ridiculous! So!

Get it written, don't get it right.

OR vice versa. whatever. xD

So, don't look back over what you've read, just plow on. daydream about it! Put on some music and think up scenes! Hold conversations with your characters! Act like your characters! [xD I did that once, the character was seriously hyper and I was acting so much like him I nearly fell on my ass on the kitchen floor. >_>]

Good luck! ^_^
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 am
Jay says...

Why don't you post some here, and get some advice and encouragement? 170 pages is impressive. My stories average 30-50 pages. I suggest you post the first chapter, or the first few paragraphs, then send me a PM and I'll tear it to pieces. In a nice way, of course :)

When your heart gets pierced with arrows, don't rip them out and pierce those around you in retribution for your hurt. You'll only unnecessarily wound others and bleed to death yourself.
— LadyMysterio