z

Young Writers Society

Gaea and Frux- Progress Thread

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:36 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

I've lost so much sleep, screwed up my sleep hours and apparently I have started to lose weight since I began turning the countless scraps of paper, pieces and folders into a rough and crude storyline. Clear enough signs that I am going down the same route as my six year obsession (and still do) love of Final Fantasy XI which I am currently blaming this story on in fact. Hurray for games corrupting my mind enough to envision fantasy worlds in detail so great that I actually cry with joy, sadness and frustration about what I see and could never draw. If anyone asks me why I write, I sure am prepared with an answer. Don't ya think?

Carrying on, to describe Gaea is to describe a magicless world utterly consumed in a single glorious religion placing the Goddess Vale as the dictator of all life. Unbeknownst to all, but the highest nobility, the Cardinals which act as spiritual advisers are more then just the descendants of Vale, they are the tools upon which peace is maintained. Exceptions exist for those in places of greater importance, culture clashes and societal rule, but they are the embodiment of her will.

Those descended from Vale possess power and control of their bodies far beyond 'human'. Longevity and one key trait makes itself known in these chosen people, (great intelligence, physical strength, spiritual sense). Purest bloods halt aging in youth, 2nd+ Cardinals in childhood and Keepers at 60-65, should they live that long. This exception is widely known and becomes the reason for people rallying under these chosen. It would be hard to parallel their real world counterparts, but given the same situation Cardinal Wentz would be similar to Peter, Aphonia to Caesar, Hilga to Stalin while those still far superior such as Media, Vale and Marja take the place of deities, and are worshiped as such.

A world devoid of conflict becomes stagnant. Under this principal predators seek to create chaos and war, empowering the people and enacting change. Three decades of peace is about to end without a cause, or reason other then sin.

YWS Pieces - Chapter Title - Info and is it up!?

Prologue - Prologue Revision 2 - Currently being rewritten as story progresses - Up!
Chapter 01 - Aphonia Part 1 - Introducing Aphonia, Cardinal Wentz, Brother Raye- UP!
Chapter 02 - Aphonia Part 2 - UP!
Chapter 03 - Aphonia Part 3 - UP
Chapter 04 - Aphonia Part 4 UP!
Chapter 05 - Aphonia Part 5 UP!
Chapter 06 - Bloodsport Part 1 - Introducing Raquil, Hilga, Kek, Griff. Gonna be rated R, kiddies! UP!
Chapter 07 - Bloodsport Part 2 UP!
Chapter 08 - Bloodsport Part 3 UP!
Chapter 09 - Bloodsport Part 4 UP!
Chapter 10 - Encounter in the Forest Part 1Up!
Chapter 11 - Encounter in the Forest Part 2 UP!
Chapter 12 - Media UP!
Chapter 13 - Cardinal Cein Part 1 UP!
Chapter 14 - Cardinal Cein Part 2 UP!
Chapter 15 - Cardinal Cein Part 3 UP!
Chapter 16 - Gyudin Part 1 UP!
Chapter 17 - Gyudin Part 2 UP!
Chapter 18 - Saverz Up!
Chapter 19 - Cenal Up!

-----------------

Frux is an experimental type of fiction I am writing. I wanted to combine a lot of my political and social workings with a new spin and not having the issue of names or places to weigh me down. Being direct and taking the all-knowing historical narrative, the work currently details the exploits of King Silver Wolvenglory the Sixth from the time of his father's death, ascension and years upon the throne.

It is my first attempt at connecting bloodlines across lands and stretching back 5 or more generations in an effort to capture the delicate order and corruption of aristocrat families, or in this case, the court of a king.

Since their is a large cast of characters, I have the forgone conclusion that the reader is to grasp from the words any appearance of the figure and let their actions, thoughts and reservations form the character unless otherwise a description is necessary. Not a 'talking head' phenomenon because the actual dialogue exists in a past tense in which the reader already is aware of what happens, but how and why becomes the stage upon which the story is biased on.

For example in the first chapter the reader already knows Wolvenglory the Sixth becomes king, but the journey and trials he experiences is meant to be done in such a way that it maintains the reader's attention instead of using conventional foreshadowing and other writing tools to string out the work with a great deal of filler and senseless development or scenes.

Think of a WWII documentary, or series. A good one is Hitler's bodyguard which shows on the military channel. Hitler had over 40 attempts on his life, and they all ended in failure. Series over right? No, who tried to kill him, what was the plot and how he survived are all the more amazing that the viewer understands why the most hated man in the world thought himself to be under the power of divine protection! We know the ending, but the instances leading up to it are stranger then fiction and a dozen times more shocking then what most people actually believe. I want the same sense of wonder and unique take in my writing as what that documentary created.

That is why, Frux is an experimental fiction, different from anything I have ever read and probably ever will. Yet, it draws me and seems to write itself with beauty and style I cannot obtain from traditional third person omniscient narrative and not the stream-of-consciousness narrative. More akin to an epistolary narrative the work breaks off and becomes something for which I do not have a word for.

The Wise King of the Frozen North Part 1 - Up.
Last edited by ~Excalibur~ on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

40 Reviews

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Been continuing work on the story at a quick pace. I just added Chapter 8 to YWS which is the most mature and dark of all the chapters so far. I am torn between the chronological and flow of the story at this point as I have three groups of characters in the story so far and the cast continues to grow as the bonds connecting them become intertwined.

I might put up a character relationship chart, but my organizational skills are seriously lame.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:52 am
Krupp says...

This is incredibly organized. I never write anything down when I start a project; maybe that's why I never get anything done, but any organization is absolutely impressive from where I'm standing..
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

40 Reviews

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

Thanks.

I'm going to take a short break from writing chapters to do some research on development to prepare for beefing up descriptions and fixing the flow for the edit.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

40 Reviews

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

Did some heavy amount of work on Gaea. Cast of characters continues to grow with each chapter. The reader is taken on an in depth look into the hearts and motivations of the characters and nationalities. All four nations have main character plots now, along with the group I am referring to as FA, which is comprised the bastard offspring of the original angels and the fallen themselves. The term 'Devils' is currently reserved for the mainland exploits of the actual opposition of the church.

I've decided to change Gyuhdin to Gyudin. This has no change on the culture, but it is a more understandable approach for the reader to not worry about language issues which Gyuhdin is different in form, not just dialect. The differences between Frae, Marham and Fegoria are primarily based on a few consonants and vowel differences, while Gyudin language is based on a more guttural form of speech. The language barrier effectively bars the people from being taken as educated, sophisticated or in some cases human as Marham puts it.

The true name of this island is Belrin, for anyone who cares. The size of the area I previously mentioned as being that of around New England draws a very centralized form of government for its rule. The close proximity of the capitals ensures that war is a dangerous for all and beneficial to none. Gyudin violates this order by being a collection of tribes which eventually rallies into a Federated Kingdom with a focus on unified militarism. The political backdrop of the four are rather complex so I won'' discuss them further in this post.

Frae Characters of Importance

Fey O'Kelos
Cardinal Louis Wentz
Cardinal Albert Wentz
Brother Raye
Schwartz Troupe Family (Edward, Cleo, Zaccaria, Vincent)
Elder Albert O'Vinesse
Rosary O'Vinesse
Boss O'Vinesse
King Gustav Of Frae
Queen Gustav of Frae
Princess Marianne Gustav
Roroae (Sorta as diplomat to Gyudin.)
Order of the Heavenly Snow (Ex member Hilga + 3 Adjutants)

Fegoria Characters of Importance

Raquil
Kek
Griff
Leaus
Tenji, the Merchant
Cardinal Belrusi
Majesty Pinel
Temple Knights (12 commanders, 5 subs)

Marham Characters of Importance
Koenig Herdin
Cardinal Cein
Morgana Figard (upon defection)
Leo Edgarbran

Gyudin Characters of Importance
Mary Muerz (upon defection)
Marianne (upon defection)
Sosoirie
Tehri
Umil-Somil
Kila-Kila

-Key Political Characters-

Fallen Angels

Media
Venalosse
Aphonia
Sigilie

Angels

Kilirae
Kiridae
Koansi

Other

Saverz, the King of Piracy.
Verin, the Blue

topic44711.html

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 am
Jay says...

You should not be losing sleep (or weight) over writing! Writing should be for fun. That aside, I agree that this seems very organised. It's not my cup of tea, so I probably can't help much here. I'd be interested to see how it actually reads. What section is it under?

40 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:09 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

I've lost about 5-10 pounds so far I think this month. My diet has changed a lot as well, I've been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches almost every meal. I am struggling to keep up protein and fiber intake, but even so I am losing sleep and losing weight.

I am probably healthier for doing so now, but yeah, its not usually a good thing. Least I still have the same energy that I started this project with.

topic44711.html

40 Reviews

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:21 am
~Excalibur~ says...

Google has my work's Belrusi as the #1 result when you enter the name into google! Gaea followed by 'chapter' or any other character name also directs to YWS. Yay for exposure.

topic44711.html

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 pm
Krupp says...

Funny thing, exposure on the internet is. If you type in my name, my high school wrestling record comes up, as well as the records for almost every big wrestling tournament I was in...

Pretty funny stuff. I'll have to see what comes up when I type in Keep it Cool or something.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

40 Reviews

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 am
~Excalibur~ says...

True, lol.

Chapter 19 up now. Story is progressing alone quite well... almost too well. I'll get a word count later and post it up in a few days. Probably tripled from Feb's count.

topic44711.html

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 am
Scarecrow says...

Lol Ex. you do it so fast
The price of greatness is responsibility - Whinston Chruchill

40 Reviews

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:07 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

Yeah. I write a lot. ^-^

topic44711.html

40 Reviews

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:32 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

I'm upset. VERY VERY upset.

My computer is dead and all my work was on it. Thankfully I uploaded most of it to YWS and only have like 4-5 chapters unposted.

So at this time I will be posting sporadically until I get a job and can buy a new computer. Rei lasted for 8 years I believe. I hope the hard drive still works so I can recover my thousands of hours of work and many projects on it.

I will continue to write Gaea, on paper. Updates will be sporadic at best, none at worst.

topic44711.html

The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill