z

Young Writers Society

High School students: 8. 9, 10 or 12 grade students?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 am
Carlito says...

Monki wrote:A few facts:
1. The teachers don't care about anything but their paychecks they receive every two weeks.
2. At my school, and most high schools, you are required to take a health and gym class your freshman year of high school.
3. Freshmen don't get picked on nearly as much as everyone thinks they do. On the contrary, many freshman are quite popular and have friends that are older than them. (Example, I have sophmore, junior, and senior friends. And it doesn't bother them that I'm a freshman.)
4. Teachers tend to have less patience with freshmen.
5. The school administration hate freshmen.
6. It's hard for freshmen to be taken seriously when it comes to a lot of things.
7. Most freshmen are bigger than the sophmores, juniors, and seniors. xD
8. Colleges that you want to apply for tend to really look at your GPA and grades from your freshman year of high school.
9. There's a lot of ethnicity differences at my school.
10. We're constantly reminded that we are "better than the other high schools" and "we are scholars". The teachers constantly throw crap like that in our faces to get us to work harder. But, we just rebel even more. xD

If I may I'd just like to expand on what Monki said. :)
I'm in 11th grade by the way.
1. I don't completely agree with this one. Some teachers do feel this way, but others are really passionate about what they do and care more about that then they do about their paycheck. I know several teachers that are on the extremes of both sides.
2. At my high school you have to take gym every term you are there. If you play a sport, the term you have that sport you don't have to take gym if you don't want to with a sports waver. If you have enough credits and classes you can have an academic waver and not take gym.
7. A lot of the freshman at my school are like four feet tall and then we have our senior football players and swimmers that are like eight feet tall :)
9. Same with mine. I think you'll find that at most large, public schools there is a lot more diversity than at a smaller, private school in a small town.
10. Yeah same here! :D Our principal talked to us for almost fifteen minutes about what a 'great accomplishment' it was that we got on two lists for being in the top 100 schools in the country.

To add a bit of my own:
-Extracurricular are huge at my school. We have tons of sports, music/drama, and clubs.
-There are AP classes for students that like more challenging classes and it's basically like taking a college level course. At the end of the year you take the AP exam and if you score well enough you can get college credit.
-Juniors and Seniors are upperclassmen. Freshman and Sophomores are underclassmen. Upperclassmen have authority (to some extent) over underclassmen.

[quote=Rakun]Do easily an Asian and Caucasian are friends?
Is possible an "Gothic" girl fall in love with a "rocker" boy?
Usually, how wild is a punk boy?
I'd decide the ethnicity of my characters. My main character is half Spanish and half Italian. His future girlfriend had grandparents from London.
The punk boy is Irish.
The punk girl, too.
And, the Asian boy is of course Japanese. He is going to be the most quiet of the group, he is a relax person.
It will works? All them become very friends ^_^.
I think that there is a lot about stereotypes on the American high school, don't it? [/quote]
-At my school you can be friends with anyone. It doesn't matter what country your from or even what language you speak, people will be friends with you.
-I could easily see a gothic person going out with a rocker person. Actually, it might be more realistic if an 'emo' girl went out with a rocker guy because emos care more about music and whatnot than goths do I believe.
-I think all those types together could make good friends.
-Yeah, there are tons of stereotypes. To name a few: prep, goth, punk, emo, jock, white trash, ghetto, druggie, skater, band geek, nerd, whore, etc.

If you wanna know more or you want something cleared up, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:10 pm
Rakun says...

Hi everyone!

First, I feel sorry for leaving it without telling "Thanks."

Anyway, after a long time on developing my characters, setting, dialogue, and plot I have started my story.

Flemzo:
thanks for your information about High school, contrasting to College. specially about teachers.

Monki
: Oh really? That's sounds great! I am more encouraged to mate my main male British character with a French; moreover, his best friend, who is a Irish, will mate a Australian.

Antigone:
Thanks, and sorry if I am little ignorant about this but I never went to H.S in USA (only in Mexico).And, Monki was speaking about HER school, she never generalized.

Monki: Thanks again.

Thanks again, guys!

YWS ROCKS!!!!
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 am
BeKWithaK says...

Wow, look how fired up this has got all of you! I read it all (well at least skimmed it) and I got confused. *Smiles*

I'm growing up (right...) in Australia right now, and we call High School Secondary school, which is from years 7-12, or from ages 13-18. But you can stop at 16 years old, in year 10, and most people become tradies and take TAFE at that stage. This is where the hot boys in Australia come from. Lol. Also our high school is pretty much the same, I think, only you actually get taught about leaders of your country and we don't. Well, I haven't yet.
Teachers here also don't earn much, either. I think I'll end up as an English teacher because I'll starve as a writer. I know this is pretty much random, my comments. Sorry if they're unhelpful (and I know they are).

Well, yeah, that's all I planned to say. Bye.

Tanned Ozzie, Bekk.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:42 pm
Rakun says...

No sense that you've told (for me)...
First,I did not understand why you said to me, "Look how fired up this has got all of you"

Second, read: United State High Schools, is the about my question; neither your or mine (Mexico).

Second, thanks for telling us how is your high school, but I am more interested on the USA high school for my novel, since I just attended in Mexico.

BeKWithaK wrote:Wow, look how fired up this has got all of you! I read it all (well at least skimmed it) and I got confused. *Smiles*

I'm growing up (right...) in Australia right now, and we call High School Secondary school, which is from years 7-12, or from ages 13-18. But you can stop at 16 years old, in year 10, and most people become tradies and take TAFE at that stage. This is where the hot boys in Australia come from. Lol. Also our high school is pretty much the same, I think, only you actually get taught about leaders of your country and we don't. Well, I haven't yet.
Teachers here also don't earn much, either. I think I'll end up as an English teacher because I'll starve as a writer. I know this is pretty much random, my comments. Sorry if they're unhelpful (and I know they are).

Well, yeah, that's all I planned to say. Bye.

Tanned Ozzie, Bekk.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time