z

Young Writers Society

Should I call a potential agent?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:35 pm
christinana says...

If anyone's bagged an agent here; did you phone them to introduce yourself? Should you?
I've seen so much conflicting advice on this topic of 'getting an agent' that I don't really know what to do. I'll phone them if it'll help me, but I'm terrified of talking on the phone; I always make an idiot out of myself! I also have the voice of a tiny child and am worried that I won't get taken seriously if they hear it haha. So if its not a good idea I'd really like to know and save myself a bit of turmoil...

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 pm
View Likes
Angel of Death says...

I've never spoken to a publisher, but I imagine that it would be good to know what they're all about or if you're still terrified research them. But I think it would be good if you and the publisher were acquainted, I think it would make the publishing process a little easier. Or write them a letter, letters are good, and that way they can think you a respectable and responsible person by what you write.

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:47 pm
JC says...

I find that with Literary agents, it's best to e-mail. It's more professional, and if it does end up being a scam, they don't have your phone number. Until they prove themselves to be trustworthy, keep as much information to yourself. And never, never send your work to an unreliable source. Best of luck.

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Random avatar

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:50 pm
christinana says...

JC wrote:I find that with Literary agents, it's best to e-mail. It's more professional, and if it does end up being a scam, they don't have your phone number. Until they prove themselves to be trustworthy, keep as much information to yourself. And never, never send your work to an unreliable source. Best of luck.

-JC

Excellent; that's comforting :)
I got the details from a reliable source so I don't think it'll be a scam, but I agree its always best to be safe. Thank you very much :)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:06 pm
Emerson says...

Write them an email or a snail mail letter. That's how they'd like requests, and from what I know, that's how one should do it. Only call them after making their acquaintance and if they've asked you or something. ^^ Best of luck!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 pm
christinana says...

Thanks for your help and good wishes :)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 am
Snoink says...

Yeah... I don't think literary agents like to be called. ^^

Best of luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:41 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I agree with what others have said, but one more detail:

Remember that you aren't the only one being represented by this agent, and you aren't the only one requesting for them to represent you. Said agent has very little time on their hands, and phone calls usually get rushed as a result. Letters and emails aren't as urgent, so it's less annoying for the agent.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Never call a literary agent. If you want to introduce yourself and pitch your novel, email or snail mail, like JC said. The only time you'll have to call them is when you've actually signed with an agent and you're talking with them about your career and stuff.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 am
Horserider says...

No do not call an agent. Research any agent you find thoroughly. Each one has their own preferred contact. Some prefer email while others take only snail mail. Agents take a query and maybe a synopsis or the first five pages of your novel.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham