Reviews: 9
Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:18 am
kimmy says...

i have four villans.
one is tough (boy)
the other has a tough front(boy)
one is too sweet (painfully)(girl)
and the last is pure evil (girl)

ive tried to think of good well suited names but nothings working!
Keep writing!
<3 kimmy

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...."
- Edward Cullen

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Kang227 says...

Okey dokey...

Nobody can do this for you. Seriously. If these villains are important to the story, they need to be completely your own.

Also, we don't know the genre of this story--we could suggest a name like Bob in a fantasy novel.

Only you can create names for these characters, because only you know the specifics of your book, and know if a name works or not.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 pm
Swottielottie says...

Well, names are very tricky, but what I often do is go to babynames.com.
Then you could find a name that means something to do with your villain.
For example, One of my Characters if called Elroy, which means the King, because he... is the king.
Well, you get the idea.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 pm
Sureal says...

Tough boy: Bob
Faux-tough boy: Joe-Bob
Sweet girl: Anne
Evil girl: Mary-Anne

Tremble in fear.

(Hey, with nothing to go on that's the best I can do. My advice: sit down with a notepad and try writing out loads of different names until you find one that feels 'right' for the character.)
I wrote the above just for you.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:47 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

behindthename.com
The single best name resource ever. Arabic or Welsh names seem particularly dastardly.

My only other advice: At all cost, avoid using the sound "mor". It's been done before, and you automatically KNOW that character's a bad guy.

That, and the name Valentine.
ohmeohmy

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 am
christy says...

I use babynames.com quite often. I personally think Russian names, for females, have a kind of echanting mystery to them.

You could also go to IDMb.com, think of a whole bunch of horror movies you've seen, look at the behind-the-scenes credits and find like screen writer and director names from movies you think suits the character. Then because you have secret horror references, it's kind of cool like that. Lots of movies takes bits of names to reference things like that. In either Final Destination or Dracula 2000 they reference a lot of names from horror authors and directors and things like that.
'I finished a manuscript and my editor said "great, now rewrite it" and I said, man, I'll just photo copy it,' __Mitch Hedberg

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 am
Heidigirl666 says...

Kang227 wrote:we could suggest a name like Bob in a fantasy novel.

Why couldn't someone in a fantasy novel be called Bob? It's a bit cliched to give all your fantasy characters fancy names.

Your characters do have to be your own; take a look at baby naming websites, have fun looking at all the different names and experiment to find one that fits. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 pm
Krupp says...

Some of the best names for the bad guy is the names that seem unassuming or not ominous...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I have a "pure evil" character. Her name is Rachael - meaning "innocent lamb." :D You could try something like that.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Reviews: 3
Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:19 pm
seruma rf says...

tough boy: Ignis
tough front boy: Nero
painfully sweet girl: Akako
pure evil girl: Nastusia

Ignis is Latin for fire I think and Nero means black. Akako, I forgot what that name meant, and Nastusia means stronger than death. I just mostly go around fooling with elements and dark colors to try and get a vibe of what their names should be. Pick elements and simple words you like and see if their translations inspire something as well.
Time goes around, and soon your future will be the present, so does that mean that there was a past?

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Nirguna says...

Making up the names is one of the most fun parts of being a writer, i think!
So just take your time, and allow yourself to get inspired(from whatsoever!).
:wink:

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:41 am
Robin says...

For villians I just pick names I don't like...e.g: Blake, Adam, Drake.

Or if someone was mean to me from my childhood I just pick their first name...e.g: Jim, Ben, Rory...

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri May 02, 2008 4:10 pm
Leahweird says...

Valentine doesn't have to be an evil name. I just finished a book in which the main hero holds that name. He's a sunny, caring person,kl and the name suits him. Although I also know of villains with that name.

Just goes to show you how portrayal of character can influence the name, as well as vice versa.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 pm
Demeter says...

Just like Kang227 said, you're the only one who can give names to your own characters. You need to know your character before you name him/her (or vice versa) and we can't really help because we don't know what the characters are like. But don't go with Nero - it means "genius" in Finnish ;D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 pm
Leahweird says...

Nero is also a notorious roman emporer, so it does have evil contations, but probably not the type your going for.

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler