z

Young Writers Society

Help, please! Need idea help

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 am
~Volant~ says...

I've got a basic idea of a fantasy story. I've got a swarthy thief as the main character. He's of the Shadow Clan, the elite of the thieves' guilds and the most hunted. Rhe swarthy thief mentioned previously (let's call him Castor for the moment, yes?) gets captured and is going to be hanged when a nobleman comes and claims him. Castor becomes a kept thief, and the nobleman is envied by others. The thief hates being kept and is looking for the right chance to escape.

I want the two to travel somewhere where the nobleman wants to use Castor's skilled, but I have no clue what they would try to steal and why Castor just doesn't escape on the road. I'm toying with the idea of giving Castor the ability to speak to wind or something, and the nobleman wanting to steal something that would control people with abilities similar to the thief's, but that's as far as it will go.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any? All are greatly appreciated!!
Where are we going?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 am
cat4prowl says...

That sounds like a cool idea, I'd like to read it when/if you post. So if you do, PM me. Please.

First of all, what time period is it? Cuz if it's like medieval, there are plenty of things you could steal. Most of them jewels and wealth. If you use the wind idea, something that controls others would be cool.

Secondly, one reason Castor doesn't escape on the road is he's bound by something so that he can't. Another reason could be that, since he's a thief, he has personal interest in whatever it is they are stealing.

And Third, I think it would be cool if you made Castor extremely disrespectful of his captor because he despises the rich and then make them end up as friends in the end.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

-Cat

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:47 am
hekategirl says...

It sounds a tad cliche for some reason, but I'd have to actually read what you would write to decide. But I think if you started writing it could turn out to be something fantastic :D
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

1) The shadow clan? Don't do it. XD It sounds unoriginal (just because shadow is the obvious adjective) and has probably been used a million times. Pick another name, maybe with a made up word, and show us it's a clan filled with shadows, rather than made it obvious.

2) I don't know how common the 'kept' theif idea is, but I have seen it before just recently ('The thief of Atolia' or something. Guy gets put in prison and is granted his freedom in exchange for a job. Very similar sounding plot to me. =P) However, it's a great idea and 'swarthy' makes me feel like you can pull it off. ^_^ But just remember: interesting characters = interesting story.

Now, to be helpful I need a few bits of information:
1) Is there much magic in this world?

He could be could by magic. I remember (OMG! The legend of Nightfall. Awesome book!) Nightfall, rogue extraordinaire, gets caught and in exchange for not being executed he must agree to be sworn to follow a set of rules and get a job done. XD Loved it, he has such a dark personality. But yeah, magically binding him could work.

2) Does this guy have a family, loved ones?

The noble might be threatening them, or have some control over their lives or something. (You know, just in case the thief gets away)

3) What things does he want?

^Maybe the guy is offering to give him something he really needs/wants in exchange for him serving, so as much as he hates it he has to pretend to be kept, and in that way he is kept.

More about the characters would help me come up with more ideas. ^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 pm
Meshugenah says...

Think this goes better in Writer's Corner, don't you? ^^

*moves*
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

93 Reviews

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:11 am
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Yes, it is in medevial times. I meant to mention that...heh...

Valor>>I have read "The Thief." That's why I asked for help; All my good ideas were taken!!! I did not steal them from her; I've had this idea since I was like eleven. Cat>>I did have the idea of Castor's a personal interest in the object, but MEGAN WHALEN TURNER GOT TO IT FIRST!!! >.< I'd like to have a word with that woman...lol. Another thing, Valor, is that Castor is far from free. He's a kept thief. Even after he's finished the job, he's still bound to the nobleman by law.

Yes, there is magic, but most people don't believe in. Castor is just one of those people, but I may have to change that also because of Turner. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. Actually, I'm not; I'm starting off with limitations now. >.<

Thank you all very, very, very much!!!! You've all been great help!!!!!
Where are we going?

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm
Vrtra says...

Thieves usually don't have families if they are the elite, most are street criminals just trying to survive, but with the power and skill comes the fame. Perhaps he happens to have a girl that is under the thumb of the noble (and her family to). Perhaps his identity is a secret and that will affect some organization.

Why did he turn to stealing is often a good motivator for why anyone would reduce themselves to sin and how they can easily be controlled.

As for escaping? That is one of the key traits, but you can't just have him chained up and expect him to take the masters abuse. It would be easier to outright kill him, unless the circumstances and trust are needed. Seriously, if this guys a noble and has lots of money, he could simply hire other thieves to accomplish the same task, rather then risk reputation and perhaps his life for this thief who is not willing.

I would not make him a 'kept thief' it just doesn't sound practical or realistic. A thief could turn into an assassin very easily if he is being 'kept' and used. Just put yourself in his place and see what could possibly bind you in service.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 pm
Kylan says...

Problems with the plot:

1.) Hektagirl is right. For some reason, the whole affair sounds abysmally cliche.

2.) Whatever you do, do not use 'Shadow Clan'.

3.) A 'kept thief'? What in the world is that? A thief isn't like a spider or a field mouse. You can't catch one and then put it a cage. And what's more what would be the point. I'm assuming that by 'kept thief' you mean that the thief is now compelled to work for the noble, to steal for him. But what's compelling him? If he does any other jobs for the noble other than the one described in your second paragraph, he could escape then.

I don't know. This just seems like it's been doen before.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

93 Reviews

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 am
~Volant~ says...

Of course, the nobleman could higher anyone, but that's not what he wants. He wants the best, and the best usually work on their own. Basically, what he does, is he spends years trying to track down one Shadow (I like the term shadow, though you're right, Shadow Clan does sound a mite ridiculous), turns him in when the price is high, then asks the law for the thief, both as a punishment for the thief and a reward for the man who turned him in. Castor is pretty much a slave.

And he's no Gen. Gen from "The Thief" was just an idiot. "Oh, look at me, I'm going to steal the king's seal!" >.< moron. Even after we found out his reasons for doing it, it's ridiculous. My character is extremely subtle. That's why he's a Shadow.

Castor is a thief because of a hereditary title (that he's extremely proud of) to live up to. Does that help at all?

Vrtra>>Castor is a thief, not a murderer. lol. He made that very clear to many characters in the story. He wouldn't kill anyone, he just wouldn't. Not his character.

Kylan>>Thieving is a trade like any other. At this time in the story, you could go to a debtor's prison and walk away with a mason or a carpenter or a cobbler in your service. A thief may be a bit harder to control, but it's around the same concept. A slave could use their trade for you, whether that trade is singing or stealing.

Thank you both very, very much!!!! You've been a great help!!!!
Where are we going?

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner