z

Young Writers Society

Help! writing a Science-Fiction, need plot....

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Rastamann says...

I wanna write a book kind of based on the film "Sunshine" but i dont want the sun to be dying or anything. Can someone help me with a plot.....

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:12 pm
the morrow says...

It's not easy to base a story on a movie while removing the movie's central premise. Have you considered writing something more original? Not that I'm against fan fiction--you may simply be better off inventing a plot if you don't limit it to a preexisting work.
t h e m o r r o w
there is no gene for the human spirit

>>Online Writing Contest for Charity: Please Respond
[http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic32589.html]<<

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 pm
Rastamann says...

well, i want people on a ship disconnected from Earth, they got a mission, what is the mission?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

I think you kind of have to figure that out on your own. When you write, you can't just expect other people to give you ideas. I suggest brainstorming, maybe jotting down a few ideas on a piece of paper and select the one you like best, and then start fleshing out the plot. Believe me, it helps to brainstorm, even though it might not seem like such a good idea.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:12 pm
Meshugenah says...

*moves to writer's corner*

Really, Sam has the right of it -- we can't give you ideas, but you can bounce ideas off us!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

If you're trying to come up with a plot, I'd do a word bank. Think up a list of words that relate to the story, images or concepts you want in there, and then try and put them together puzzle like.

ex:
Words: Hat - Run - Star
Image: Man wearing hat running after a star.
Possible plot: A young man inherits his fathers hat and the responsibility of hunting down a certain star because *insert reason here*.

Woot. See? Super easy and takes all of two minutes. *goes to write down the new plot idea so she can maybe use it later*

Hope that helps!

(And definitely don't try basing your story off another. You can keep in mind some element you liked from the story, but you should really try and make it your own.)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:05 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Sleeping Valor wrote:(And definitely don't try basing your story off another. You can keep in mind some element you liked from the story, but you should really try and make it your own.)

Basing is fine, I think. Romeo and Juliet was a basing off of some other really really ancient Greek play that I don't remember the name of. People kept basing off each other until you get West Side Story. It's a long chain, I just don't remember.

Anyway.

I suggest waking up at some ungodly hour in the morning and writing. That way, you're too groggy to be self-concious about anything.

Or, have you considered keeping a dream journal? I get great ideas from dreams. Stephanie Meyer got her idea for Twilight from a dream, and Star Wars was a dream, too. Look how far they went.

It's amazing what your subconcious can do.

And did you know that every 10,000 years, the current of the outer core of the earth changes directions? This would make North turn South and South turn North. No one knows how long it would take, though, whether a few seconds or a few weeks. But, if it took weeks, that would shut down the magnetic feild around the earth entirely. Major chaos.
Where are we going?

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain