z

Young Writers Society

Writing Requirements

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

It has to be cold, which does not make for good productivity where I live.

:roll:
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm
Mars says...

Monki wrote:5. Music is so necessary, but I find that because I know every single song on my iPod by heart, I can't focus because I'm too busy singing along to the songs. And there's no way for me to stop myself from singing along. It's a habit; if I know a song, I have to sing it. So, I tend to put it on for a little while when I'm starting, but then I turn it off when I'm getting serious.

Monki: if this is really a problem, I recommend pandora.com. It's customizable radio: you can enter an artist or a song that you like, and it will play songs that are the same type of thing. And you can skip songs. It's awesome.

I can write all times of the day, but I usually go to sleep, have an idea, wake up, and have to jot it down or even start writing it out. I need music, whatever songs I'm obsessed with at the moment (right now it's Taylor Swift). I need fruit. And, lastly, it's horrible for my eyes, but I like to write by the light of my computer.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:38 am
LindseyBrooke says...

1. My writing journal is next to me
2. Music is on
3. The room has to be completely empty and no one can bother me
4. The sun has to be setting or it has to be night. I don't know, when I write, I love to look at the sun and see the amazing colors in the sky. It's such inspiration.
5. I have to listen to rain. If it's not raining, I will go on youtube and play a rain sequence or something. it's very relaxing.
6. No one around me can talk.
7. My favorite books are next to me so that if I need help with my writing, I can look in my books and see how my favorite authors wrote them.

Yeah, so those are my requirements =]
"Next year I'll be transferred to Pigfarts."
<3

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 am
Nutty says...

1. I'm in the mood. No, seriously, if I try and write when I don't feel right it doesn't turn out too good. To get in the right frame of mind I usually critique someone else's work, funnily enough! I usually end up itching to get back to my own work after a nice, long crit.
2. I have a computer. Anything I write on paper turns to... uh, excrement. Which makes writing while on holiday a disaster.
3. I hate silence, so if no-ones up, I put the television on a channel that won't be interesting enough to be distracting, and turn up the volume, or listen to music. I don't actually listen, but it takes away that tense silence that so reminds me of exam time.
4. I have my hair off my neck- or short, how it is now. I can't concentrate when my hair tickles the back of my neck ><;
5. one thing I have noticed, I tend to have my legs crossed when writing.

Other then that, I don't need anything too strange.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 am
Childark says...

For me, I need to borrow my father's laptop and occupy an unoccupied room in our house with just pure silence. I write in Microsoft word with 12 font size, times new roman and single spacing. I have to open the Ms word's thesaurus and Encarta dictionary. I also have to disconnect my wireless internet connection to make sure that I don't get tempted to search the Internet for anything at all. I also lock my stories in Ms words with passwords, then lock it into a folder with a password, then lock it in winRAR with a password, and finally lock it in my email (with password! lol!)

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:10 am
KailaMarie says...

I like a couple things:

1. I write much better on my own computer. I can write on other computers and with paper, but it never seems to come out as good.
2. I prefer to have music. Especially songs I know, because if it's new to me, I like to stop and listen to it, but if it's familiar, I can zone it out, and it helps me get less distracted with other things.
3. I like to be placed in a direction where no one can read over my shoulder. I have a lap top, so sometimes I have to position myself, or the computer, in strange ways, but I hate that.

And I think that's basically it. I like having a water near me, but I almost never drink it, so it's not really needed. I think I'm pretty low maintenance. Haha.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm
~Excalibur~ says...

1. Writing on my computer. (Just feels better that way.)
2. I need music and lately it has been some of the 250 Touhou albums floating around on torrent, particularly fond of IA-Styled Toho.
3. I guess a certain mood to write certain pieces, but I tend to chapter jump to this.
4. I often sleep frequently to experience pieces I am going to write or have written to make corrections. This may sound odd, but I seem to sleep every hour or 2 hours after writing for a time length of who knows when, but when I wake I write until that is exhausted and repeat the cycle.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:32 pm
Horserider says...

1. Music. It just makes me feel better. I listen to my playlist or I go on aol radio and listen to whatever is playing. I listen to both country and rock (mostly Nickelback).
2. Laptop. I prefer the laptop though I do write on the desktop once in a while.
3. No people. I write best when I'm the only one home. Especially when my mom comes home and starts giving me jobs to do, usually when I'm on a writing roll.
4. Even though I'm probably going to be blind by the time I'm 20 I love to sit in my bedroom in the dark and type. I turn the brightness on the computer as low as it will go and just lay there while I type. It's great.
5. Water nearby. I get thirsty.
6. Snack often. Anything unhealthy is great.
7. Something else to do. I like to be on another site or have a book nearby so I can read or play in between paragraphs.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:07 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

1) I can't have any objects near me that I can pick up. I inevitably will play around with them if they're there, and they distract me.

2) No food or drink. See above.

3) Silence. Music inevitably takes away my focus.

4) I must be alone. I keep getting self conscious and think that they're reading the junk I'm writing.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 pm
Rakun says...

OMG! There are several requirements.

1-Cellphone turned off!
2-Treasure and dictionary
3-Music (specially Alternative Rock when I am prewriting).
4-Water or any soft drink (no caffeine)
5- Only chocolates are acceptable, he he.
6-Material and resources near to me or in the computer.
7-My favorite writing reference is very necessary
8- Privacy, completely private.

It's all, I think so.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:14 am
Icaruss says...

I just write. You know. I don't have a whole ritual.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:55 am
POTAFan1973 says...

1.Music or a movie that I've watched before. By the way I have this odd habit of having to listen to a certain song to get me in the mood for a part in my story. One time I played Let It Be from the Across The Universe soundtrack during a funeral scene.

2.Glasses on. They help me see and they make me feel more professional and smart.

3.Oddly I can't write poems on the computer. I have to write them down. I only type them when I'm in the last stage of it.

4.Nobody to read my work until its finished. Odd superstition of mine. I think if someone reads it before its finished then its jinked.

5.Caffine drink near by. Keeps me hydrated and hyper.
One person's craziness is another person's reality
-Tim Burton

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 pm
MySunshine says...

Well, most importantly, I have to have something in mind to write. Mostly, I write on my computer, but notebooks or simply some sheets of paper help, too, in case I jot down a few ideas or something like that.

I don't like writing in silence. I get nervous without any sounds, so usually, I have some music playing or the TV is on.
But then, I don't like it when people are around. It makes me nervous as well if my parents or friends are there and try to look what I'm writing ^^"

When I write, I like to have lots of snacks around myself, so I can just reach out and grab something to eat, without moving. So it figures wherever I'm sitting has to be comfortable.
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Ross says...

1. The soundtrack of my current story. That way, the music will be a writing lifeline. (Can be anything from heavy metal to classical)

2. Confortable clothes. I have to feel relaxed before my writing starts to flow.

3. A good word processor on any computer, with a nice easy keyboard. (I prefer Microsoft Word)

4. Privacy. If people keep nosing in, I get distracted. And it's not good.

5. Quick and easy snacks. (This rarely happens. :P But it's a good writing period when it does.)

6. A writing partner within reach to help me out (So I go on Facebook when I'm stuck)
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 pm
Kalliope says...

I can write pretty much anywhere, but one thing I noticed is that I absolutely love to write when riding the bus. I usually lean against a window, have my note book on my knees and just write. I don't know exactly what it is, but it is awesome.

Other than that I like to just curl up in a corner of my room with my note book. Tea is nice, so is bubble gum and I usually have pencils and some white sheets of paper around in case I want to sketch something.

That's about it. ^_^

~Kalli
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carol (1832-98 )

Got YWS?

"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi