z

Young Writers Society

Emerald Hearts

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:36 am
Wiggy says...

Okay, as some of you know, I've been "working" on this project for a long time now, kind of like a bottle of old wine that's best once it's fermented for a really long time. And, as the Irish are renowned for their (for lack of a better word) drunkenness, it seems an apt comparison, da? ;)

My main character is Fineena O'Malley, a high-spirited Irish lass of sixteen who is living during the Great Potato Famine. I don't have much of a story yet, but I do know that Fineena is coping with the loss of her first love, Sean, to cholera (or some other common disease). Along with that, her brother Patrick is arrested on a petty charge of theft, and therefore is taken away to the jails. One traveler to Ireland sees Fineena and takes pity on her and gives her the best way he knows possible for her to escape the misery--money for passage to New York. Eventually she brings her family over to New York, and on the way meets her future husband Peter and his sister Bridget, who becomes her best friend. Lots of work, I daresay.

I'm reading Paddy's Lament by Thomas Gallagher right now, and even for those of you who don't have to do research, it's a fascinating read and I highly recommend it. Yay for Bookmooch and free books!

I hope to have full character profiles by time school resumes, along with a tentative first chapter. I just want to get something done.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:35 pm
Phoebe says...

Ah, historical fiction! Lovely! And the Irish supply a fertile earth, yes? ^^ Best of luck, Wiggy--I look forward to seeing these. ^~
What would Brad do?

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 pm
Gladius says...

Wow. It sounds really good, and I love th' Irish.

I'm thinking of this like a movie, it's so intricate! *whistles* That's going to be a chore. Better you than me, though! XD

Good luck with it!
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:09 pm
StellaThomas says...

Darling, if you're interested in An Ocras Mór (the Great Hunger), I don't know what age you are, but in my opinion you're never too old for the Marita Conlon McKenna Children of the Famine trilogy! Sorry, I read them when I was ten and last summer wrote my essay in my history exam on the famine based entirely on that without doing any study. Fields of Home might really interest you, it's similar circumstances to this...

anyway, yeah, I'd really be interested in this! You don't want to switch the girl's nme to Fionnuala just for me? No? I just love that name...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 pm
chocoholic says...

Sounds very interesting. I'd love to read it.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:35 pm
Myth says...

At last, some explaination as to who this Fineena is. Good luck, no matter how long it takes to get written, you'll post something and let me know!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:42 pm
Fishr says...

Hehe... This has been a long time coming, Wiggy. Congrats on finally getting to write about the Irish. Hot blooded sort of people or at least my family is. XD We have a hard time conducting ourselves "normally" in public, lol. We drink, we sing, and if the wrong tone is slightly offensive, we're not afraid to rise to the occasion. ;) Sound like your kind of Irish folk, Wiggy?

Then their is the Scottish roots... Eep!

*waves* :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:22 pm
StellaThomas says...

We don't spend ALL our time drinking... although we're just a little insane sometimes... and our folk songs are quite disturbing (Páidín's wife, anyone?)... but apart from that-and our love of potatoes- the stereotypes are, well, stereotyped. :D
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:36 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

*Does a Little Dance!*

Wiggy, you know I love it already.

:D

Wiggy you might want to research what would happen to Peter more. It might be more likely that Peter is convicted and sent on a coffin ship to Australia as a convict, or even hung because of his crime.

Can't wait to see this in writing.

And talk about fermenting, I feel that way about my characters for Guttersnipe, they've been in my head for almost three years. Now, I just wish they story would jump out on paper and stop fermenting, though.

Ta, hon.
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:00 pm
StellaThomas says...

Send him off like Michael in the Fields of Athenry! "For you stole Trevelyan's corn, so the young might see the morn, now the prison ship lies waiting in the bay... Sure she'll wait and hope and pray, for her love in Botany Bay, it's so lonely round the fields of Athenry..." That's a good idea right there from Caligula :)

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:41 pm
Sam says...

*hugs Wiggy*

You must post this.

And no, that's not a request, that's a demand. ^_~
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

402 Reviews

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:41 pm
Wiggy says...

*looks up* Umm, yeah, it's been a yearish?

Oy.

BUT! Good news! I've started writing again! This time, it's all about characters. I've changed Peter around a bit--I think he's going to be an English landlord, and Fineena's still the high-spirited Irish whippersnapper that I love. :) I'm having a bit of trouble discovering who they are, though. I've been writing letters to them, discovered a bit of their looks, but seriously, Peter is so elusive! He's got the whole dark hair thing going, but I'm not quite sure what his eyes are yet. Dark with green flecks? Something that draws Fineena in...cause she knows she wants him, but she definitely can't have him.

To writing!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 am
Wiggy says...

Yeah, so Peter's eyes are gonna be blue with black flecks. Shweeeet! :) They see everything (not your cliched "piercing blue eyes" but something to that effect), and he shoots right through Fineena's blarney. He's definitely the landlord's son, and I'm thinking he's going to be visiting to survey the land for his father, getting the feel of the land for when his inheritance comes into play (ooo, brain wave, perhaps his inheritance is botched because of his father's gambling debts? Yes, yes, I'm liking this...), and there he meets and becomes captivated by Fineena. Though he doesn't show it.

Yes, delicious, I know. :)

I'm thinking of calling the novel "Captivating" instead of Emerald Hearts. Yes? No? Your thoughts.

Got YWS?

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela