z

Young Writers Society

The Latest of Jigster: Updated

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:31 am
Jiggity says...

University, finally, is over for the year - although I still have one pesky essay to write. So now I have the chance to actually begin writing, for myself!!

Previous Projects:

Cupid's Madness: In which the reincarnated Eros emerges from a frustrated young intern, who subconcsiously cast a terrible curse upon Aphrodite, and through her, humanity itself. [Complete, subject to revision]

Ghost of the Dragon: Reflections of Silence - a memoirish short story I thought I might enter into the Young Writer's Anthology, or not. [complete]

Into the Lair of the Dragon: Fall of Seshkozhiel - a long short story about the last of the Dragon Lords, whose dementia threatens to unravel reality and the quest of a former spy-turned-Chancellor and his young protegee to slay the creature. Niether is aware of the hidden potential in the boy or of the secretive plans of the Arch Magus. This is a tale in a world I created last night, which I think I'll continue. [In Progress. Indef. Hiatus]

Jacob - a dark fantasy short about a young, down and out actor trying to make it in the city, and his encounter with the old lady no one knows or remembers and who lives on a floor in the building that doesn't exist. This is a story about her obsession with a boy named Jacob. [Forgot about this entirely, 'til now. Will start asap]

As for the last, I truly hope over this 3 month break I have, I will be able to finally start this project:

Blank - formerly, 'The Actor's Guild' this is a story set in a different planet, and the society and culture which the remnants of humanity have fashioned there. It's a gothic-themed, dark fiction that sets out to explore identity, character, acting and the perils of losing yourself in a role - of the change that occurs, or the lacktherof, of questioning the construct of your being, of politics and the ruthless culture of entertainment. One young man's yearning to understand himself and his role in life will propel him to make the arduous journey to the Capitol City, under the tutelege of the infamous Madame Molotov. [Yet to begin.]

Most recent Projects:

Shadow of the Sun:

A novel/la in progress. Set in the City - the largest, and according to the inhabitants, only metropolis left in a poisoned, inhospitable world. Protected by massive, sorcerous walls, it is a dark place filled with its own share of monsters and demons, most of which exist in the Outskirts - a ghetto like area mainly outside the control of the Council and Magisterium.

The tenuous peace that exists between the two is about to be shattered by one ambitious Magister who intends to claim the last remaining seat on the Council. His campaign to eradicate and control the Outskirts has unprecedented success, that is to say, until his men encounter Sunestraka, a creature that wipes out an elite squadron and takes hostage the young boy they used as bait.

The story basically centres around the boy and the monster and the way they become friends; the evolution of their relationship amidst escalating violence. The Underground, stirred out of its slumber by the increasing raids against their number, is not prepared to lay down and die, however. In a world full of magic and technology, monsters, soldiers, psychics, witches and creatures of myth, some new and some old, the clash between man and monster for supreme dominance is about to reach a whole new level.

(On Hiatus)

Hungry Generations: A short story about a woman named Bella, her determination to live a live outside of attending her ailing Grandma's needs and the very strange, but enchanting old man she meets in a retirement home. [completed and submitted to anthology]

A Tracing of Angels: A short, flash fiction piece about a demented serial killer. [complete]

Friends: Uber short flash fiction about a lonely boy and his experience with the Afterlife. [complete]

Making A Killing: A short film about a young man who owns a cemetary and the desperate measures he goes to, to increase his business. [complete]

Magda's Key: A short heroic fantasy story about an elite group of soldiers hunting for the parts to a sacred key, which can open the door to ultimate power. Having secured the first, they seek the second deep in the Ageless Mountains. [In progress]

Campfire: A short piece about a young tribal boy and his Naming Day Trial. [complete]

Stars: Short story--to be turned into a novella:

Moon and Star, two lovers on a distant world, using the ancient technology of the Acolytes, rise up against the Drakul (or wryms; dragons; etc) that their people worshipped, believing they had become greater. They hadn't in fact, become greater and so spent the next hundred years (after their world was burned into a cinder) fleeing through the universe, raiding and searching through a multitude of worlds for a weapon or power that could defeat the dragons. Thus, the odd collection of Si-an (slaves) come to populate the ship. The protagonist, a chambermaid from medieval times (Gods you have no idea how hard it was to write a sci-fi from her perspective, lol) is one of these people.

This story is about the chambermaid's growth, bond and love for Star; who, bereft from her sisters and burdened by the crushing guilt that she was responsible for the destruction of her homeland and the near genocide of her people, gradually descends into madness. The inner-politics within the ship threaten to displace the unlikely pair, even as a greater threat looms: the Drakul have found them once more and so the cosmic chase, the universal war begins again and all the while, the simple chambermaid begins to change and grow, discovering within herself the key to all.

Currently online as a short story. It sounds so gay now that I think about it XD

2010: Novel-in-progress

A series of mysterious disappearances/kidnaps have police baffled and the media raving. All around the globe, children, elderly, brilliant artists, genius scientists and others are vanishing, with almost no common denominator between them. Behind the disappearances is a group of seriously twisted immortals, set down at the beginning of time to safeguard mankind or rather, to protect certain special individuals. Immortals that have, as time passed, grown corrupt, immoral and immeasurably twisted - no longer willing to protect those individuals, some of them have been actively killing them off, harvesting their power.

Now things are going to change. The hunted have become aware of the hunters and they're going to fight back. The time has come for those gifted to awaken to their true purpose and the world will never be the same. Someone has been working in the background, unknown to the killers, covertly working to ensure their original purpose is met; unknown and mysterious even to those he once grew up with Drake has grown unaccountably strange in his long absence from humanity and now drives to his goal with a fearsome zealotry. The chain of events he sets off will alter reality as it is known.

A schism between immortal brothers that threatens to destroy everything; a distraught Father long forgotten, now awakened, puts his own scheme into motion; an aging Detective is given one last case and will stop at nothing to see it solved; the Gifted of the world awakening to their true power, struggle to deal with the nature of their purpose as all around them an eternal war gears up for the Final Battle.

Welcome to 2010 ^_^

For now, that is all.
S.J

P.S I got published in the Young Writers Journal. w00t!
Last edited by Jiggity on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 pm
Rydia says...

Oooh, Blank sounds really interesting and you've already finished university? That's so not fair. Good luck with all your projects Jiggity! And keep us informed on how they're doing.

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:45 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Wow. Your thought processes are so much more complicated then mine. I'm impressed.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:49 am
Leja says...

"Jacob" sounds interesting, as does Blank. Good luck!

798 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:18 am
Jiggity says...

Finished university for the year - I have a three and a half month break now, woo! - Glad you guys are interested in 'Blank' and 'Jacob' - that should spur me on to writing them, considering their the hardest of the projects I'm working on. *sigh*

Oh, and I have good news! One of my stories has been shortlisted for publication in a horror anthology!

Thanks so much for submitting your work to Read by Dawn volume 3 for consideration.

Your story, TO ESCAPE A DREAM, has been shortlisted.

We will be sending you notes and comments on your story by November 23, at which stage you will have until the end of the year to resubmit your final version. Being shortlisted at this stage is not a guarantee of selection. When we have all the final versions of the shortlisted stories, we'll make our final choice.

You will hear from us by Tuesday 15 January as to whether or not your story has been selected. Please let me know if you are happy to proceed. We are also happy to send you a blank copy of the contributors' contract for your perusal at any stage in this process.

With kindest regards Adele-- Adele HartleyCurator, Bloody Books and Festival Director, Dead by Dawn, Scotland's International Horror Film FestivalJoin us, April 2008The festival runs in association with Filmhouse (www.filmhousecinema.com)and is a member of the European Fantastic Film Festivals Federation (www.melies.org)

798 Reviews

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 am
Jiggity says...

Ah yes, and the online literary magazine, Pens on Fire accepted and published my short story, 'Borderline.' Apart from that, I'm still cracking at it.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:54 am
Cade says...

Yay! Congrats, Jigster. It's so wonderful that you're getting published and getting your stuff out there.

*confetti*

-Colly
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

798 Reviews

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:11 am
Jiggity says...

Yay, I know! Thanks! Its awesome that its a horror anthology as well, I'd love to become known for that.

And hows things for you? Getting your own stuff out there?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:59 pm
Rydia says...

Well done Jiggity, that's great news! Congratulations!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

798 Reviews

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:13 am
Jiggity says...

Thanks, of course, for every step forward, there's twelve steps back. I reckon for every ten submissions you make your lucky to get so far even with one, as I have with this thankfully.

Thanks for the birthday guestbook message as well :P

798 Reviews

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:06 am
Jiggity says...

Updated look at what I'm doing.

*dances for money*

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

*dances with Jigster*
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:02 pm
Jiggity says...

*updated*

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm
Sureal says...

Which one you working on at the moment? ^_^

(You know, I've had 2010 on my hard drive since the begining of January, half way through critting it. I'll have to get around to finishing the critique sometime.)
I wrote the above just for you.

798 Reviews

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:55 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Whoa, you have?

Haha, cool.

Right now I'm working on Shadow of the Sun ----or the retitled version anyway, 'Monster'

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore