Young Writers Society

The Uber Writer's Block Thread

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:03 pm
View Likes
MKate says...

The "Demon Writer's Block" is no stranger to me. :lol:

I recently read a book on how to write a book that handed me the weapon to destroy this hateful nuisance. (By the way, the book is "Writing Magic- Creating Stories that Fly" by Gail Carson Levine) And it gave me the solution:

Every time I get a writer's block, all I have to do it write nonsense until I spot an idea that had been hiding in the shadows to the left ever since I started writing! :idea:

For example, you could simply write "I have no ideas", or, "I wish somebody would wash the dishes for me tonight" or, "This is stupid. Why can't I think of anything?!!"

So basically your brain gets so tired of writing nothing, that it surprises you with coming up with something!

Hope this helps!
"Don't say 'the old lady screamed'- bring her on and let her scream." -Mark Twain

Writing is like traveling- you never know what's going to happen until you get there.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:03 am
View Likes
springs616 says...

I've been having MAJOR writer's block issues recently. It's not that I'm unmotivated and can't write--I actually feel more motivated than usual. I've written a lot of poems recently (although that was mainly because of the emotional stress of my boyfriend joining the military). Regardless of why I wrote the poems, however, I've really gotten myself in the writing mood and I think it would be a really good time to get down to business on a novel. My problem? I can't think of a plot. Every idea I've had for the past...well, for a very long time have just come to my brain in the form of characters or settings and then never gone anywhere. I just can't find something with enough plot points to be dragged out into novel form, or even really that interesting of a short story. Meanwhile, my one teacher (who I am friends with) and I were discussing writing and she said she has ideas for two series, compiling up to a total of 11 books, plus the three she's already written. She couldn't really explain that well how she gets her ideas, though, and I'm just sitting here wondering what is wrong with my brain. :thud:

So I was wondering...how do you guys come up with your best plots? Anybody have any particularly profound advice for me? Anything would be appreciated, because I want to think of a plot while I still have all this motivation. Right now I feel like my feet are running but I'm just suspended in midair, not really going anywhere.
"If wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak," ~ Jayne Cobb

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I used the Three Act Structure when plotting my novel. Worked like a charm. :)

I'd also suggest looking at a book titled 45 Master Characters by Victoria Lynn Schmidt. It gives you ideas on how characters can grow over the course of the novel and has given me a bunch of scene ideas.

Do keep in mind that plot points can be longer, depending on how complicated they get. Romance plots can be summed up in "boy meets girl" (or girl meets boy). And look at how many romance novels there are out there. My biggest suggestion is to write out all the plot-points you have on index cards, then see if you can add twists to any of them. Throw in other characters, mix in some strained friendships, a love triangle or two, a new conflict, you name it. Then see if your plot doesn't get longer.

Hope this helps!

~Roesy
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:44 am
View Likes
Moriah Leila says...

So Friday night I was having this super awesome writing session and I had all these great ideas for my story, but I had to stop, so I could get ready to go to Disney on Ice. I finally returned to my story today, ready to pick up where I left off, and now I'm stuck. I feel like everything I write is lacking the proper emotion and when I do try to force the emotion it feels....well, forced. I keep getting on Facebook like that is going to give me the proper inspiration, but it obviously does not. Grrrr!!! Usually when I get to this point I just quit and that is why I have two boxes and a whole hard drive full of unfinished stories. But I don't want to quit. I need to tell this story. Suggestions?
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Try re-reading over what you just wrote and getting back into your character's minds. If anything triggered the idea, like a certain song/movie/action, then return to that trigger as well. When I look over recently written parts of my story, I remember what I wanted to say and where I wanted to go.

If that fails, then wait until the idea keeps you up at night. Then, you know your characters are trying to get your attention. I recently went on a writing hiatus for about four, maybe five and a half months. Recently, my characters have begun to keep me awake until I write something (a scene, a plot point) and I've written 3k in the last week and a half.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:20 pm
View Likes
Vampiress says...

I have writers block alot, but recently I came up with a great story idea. So, I am currently writing it, *sigh* still.
whether they start good or bad, Every good writer starts somewhere

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:53 pm
View Likes
Wolfdaemon says...

Agha! I have my book all planned out but its like STUCK in meh head! If you have any tips for the first paragraph, pm me! Lol. :thud:
You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles.James 2:19
http://dragcave.net/user/Roma-Gypsy
^ you should so click this.... :)

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

I find it's easier to break through a writer's block if you put yourself in the shoes of your character. Like, if you're stumped on how you think your character should proceed through a certain situation, think about how you yourself would proceed if you were in that same situation. Even if you know you're character wouldn't make the same choices you would, you'll at least know what you're character shouldn't do, as opposed to not knowing what he/she would do at all.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 am
View Likes
GrantBlayfur says...

I'm working on a novel right now. I have the characters history, present, and future all thought out...now I just need to know how to proceed. Seven chapters done with no trouble...hmm. :?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 am
View Likes
Roe says...

Starting the story is always the most difficult part for me. After that it's alright, but sometimes I'll just pound my head on the keyboard (not literally) because I have no idea what's going to happen next. (See, I don't outline, so.. everything just sort of happens. Without knowing what's going to happen next, as I already said.)

But then I have to tell myself 'Noo, Taylor, it's not that hard at all! All you have to do is sit down, and write. Just write.'
the opposite of peace isn't
WAR
it's
CREATION

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue May 11, 2010 2:37 am
View Likes
Nemesis says...

I am currently on my 6th chapter in my sci-fi novel "Orion" In the 6th chapter, the Colonizer "Initiator" is being prepped and loaded for duty near the district(planet) of Terpis. While on the siege of Terpis, my main character "Max Howell" receives permission from the President of the Galactic Union to build himself a suit which will enable him to fight in the battles.
Spoiler! :
On another alien planet which is being torn by a civil war, there is a battle with the Union. One of the extremely powerful alien leaders named the Nemesis is there! (hence my username xD)
Check out the sci-fi novel I'm writing called "Orion"

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue May 11, 2010 10:23 am
View Likes
austenite says...

I'm currently on the writer's block. To me, it's finding the time. Because I work shifts, sometimes I get home late at night, which has always been a good time for me to write, but after work I don't feel like anything, or I come home in the afternoon and just sleep til the next day.

My plan is concentration though. I'm dedicating an hour of day day, everyday to my novel. I've got a playlist I keep adding to on MixPod, which I listen to before I write to get me 'into' my story.

What I find helps, instead of an actual outline, is 'playing' my story in my mind. Sure it might sound insane and you may accidently find yourself on public transport talking to yourself, but if you are a more visual person like me, then it helps a lot!! I'm also addicted to character answer sheets, but that's just another form of procrastination.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:23 am
View Likes
Kibble says...

I'm also addicted to character answer sheets, but that's just another form of procrastination.

I know what you mean austenite! At the same time, they can help you get into the story. :)
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

Reviews: 2
Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:49 am
Rocksmith says...

Writers block? Hit yourself in the head repeatedly, or imagine one of your dearest family mebers are being held up at gunpoint, and will be shot unless you come up with the best piece of literary genious ever concieved by mankind.

Also, constantly writing whatever comes to your mind usually makes you click into gear.

Another option would be to clone yourself, mature the clone to your physical and mental age, and keep it in the freezer until you get the dreaded block, when you do, thaw it out and make it continue from where you got the block.

I hope these practical solutions help you all on your way!
A dagger at dusk is worth a thousand swords at dawn

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm
View Likes
FashionistState says...

Roe wrote:Starting the story is always the most difficult part for me. After that it's alright, but sometimes I'll just pound my head on the keyboard (not literally) because I have no idea what's going to happen next.

It's the most difficult part for me too...
But it's not because I don't know what's going to happen next. I just have lots of trouble thinking up an interesting opening paragraph that draws you in. Which is a bit of a hindrance since I find it easy to write 'interesting' paragraphs after that.
... Unless it's a farm.

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell